VW Warranty - Renewal data point

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ihpj
Bronze Member

VW Warranty - Renewal data point

Post by ihpj »

Hope all y’all are keeping safe and well in these unusual times.

I wanted to share a data point for renewal cost of the VW Extended Warranty. Our car is a 2011 Polo 1.4 DSG 6R and was bought as an AUC in 2017. In our ownership it has always been under VW Extended warranty due to my gambling the DSG will go *BANG* at some point - it hasn’t yet but I guess there is still time :mrgreen:

Our car is currently under warranty and has covered about 61K. Last year I paid £222 for a 15K miles, no excess “all component” coverage and we had three warranty claims (experience shared on the forum). Once I got passed the intransigence of my Dealer :roll: the claims process has always been painless and without issue - indeed I continue to be impressed by the efficiency of VW Warranty and the ease of claims process. Renewal for like-for-like coverage this year is: £260, which I will be taking.

As an aside, I ran the numbers through on the VW website and if I were to let cover lapse, the cost of the warranty is almost double :shock:

Seeing as we pay £145 road tax, £260’ish for the year seems very reasonable.

If anyone is wavering on extending their coverage, I hope our experience adds value to the debate.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: VW Warranty - Renewal data point

Post by SRGTD »

I have read on some other VW forums that if there’s a break in cover between one warranty period ending and buying a further year’s cover, then the cost does increase significantly compared to the cost if warranty cover is continuous. I also seen to remember that there’s a 30 day waiting period after taking out cover before you can make a claim - presumably, this is to stop people with an existing electrical / mechanical issue taking out a warranty policy and then almost immediately making a claim for the existing problem and then cancelling the cover once the problem has been fixed.

VW’s extended warranty does seem to be better than many of the other aftermarket warranty products that are available. There’s a requirement in the small print for the vehicle to be serviced in accordance with VW’s servicing requirements and recommendations. Although it doesn’t state this has to be a VW dealer, I dare say many people with the extended warranty will continue to use the VW dealer, as the evidence of servicing will be held on VW’s systems, so significantly reducing the risk of a warranty claim being denied. This generates routine servicing revenue for VW’s dealerships that the dealers otherwise might not get were it not for the existence of the warranty, as a large proportion of owners of older vehicles without VW’s extended warranty will probably use an independent garage workshop or do their own servicing work.