New Pricelist, Effective 01/05/2020

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: New Pricelist, Effective 01/05/2020

Post by OomStu_ZA »

green justin wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:02 am
Have you noticed how the optional extras like Sunroof and Brescia wheels have also increased in price.

When i purchased my car in January 2019.

Brescia Wheels was R5000 ZAR to R6000 ZAR
Sun Roof was R9800 ZAR to R11900 ZAR.
Indeed, some of those increases occured pre price increase for the vehicle itself.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Aube wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:52 am Hi,

Advice for those in the defined benefit pension camp or disposable income; don’t pay cash for the car. The best plan, and I do it every time I buy a new car, is take out the finance agreement so you get the deposit contribution, and that can be in the thousands, then call the finance company within 14 days of signing the agreement and ask to ‘withdraw’ from the agreement. This is not the same as settling the agreement, so make sure you say withdraw. You pay a few pounds per day interest and doing this has no impact on your finance record. This way you get the deposit contribution, bigger discounts on the deal than paying cash, and keep any offers such as free or reduced servicing as well.

Let’s hope dealers are keen for business when they open fully and don’t use the pandemic as an excuse to raise prices and devalue the part exchange, but that could be wishful thinking!
Agree; that’s what I will be doing when I change my current car.
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:48 am I can't see the Polo GTI+ having any great leaps in "must have" tech in the foreseeable to make people want to change to a newer model in droves. It already has (among other things) LED headlights, decent connectivity and the digital dash virtual cockpit that made my 2015 Golf R's driver info set-up look prehistoric
Agree; I don’t think tech upgrades will happen the short term - IMO VW will wait until the Polo gets its mid-life facelift to upgrade the tech. The current Polo was launched at the back end of 2017, so I’d expect the facelift to happen some time next year. Interior tech upgrades will probably involve the Polo getting much of what the mk8 Golf has - if so, then expect VW to replace all the conventional, intuitive, easy to use conventional buttons, switches and knobs with cheap to produce (and expensive to replace when they fail) touch pads that are more difficult to use on the move.

I wonder what the list price of a facelift GTI+ will be?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ The only "big deal" bit of tech that I can see Polo getting on facelift is a proper all LED rear cluster with sweeping indicators, still not big enough to entice me hopping in. Loss of buttons for sleekness isn't much of a temptation. I don't think we'd see electronic handbrake coming in on the Polo (the only thing I really miss from the Golf).

As the standard Golf GTI MK8 will be 245ps, same as the outgoing "performance" GTI variant, I can't see the Polo getting a meaningful power boost in future- maybe 10ps if we're lucky (limited run special editions excepted).
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

SRGTD wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:13 pm
Aube wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:52 am Hi,

Advice for those in the defined benefit pension camp or disposable income; don’t pay cash for the car. The best plan, and I do it every time I buy a new car, is take out the finance agreement so you get the deposit contribution, and that can be in the thousands, then call the finance company within 14 days of signing the agreement and ask to ‘withdraw’ from the agreement. This is not the same as settling the agreement, so make sure you say withdraw. You pay a few pounds per day interest and doing this has no impact on your finance record. This way you get the deposit contribution, bigger discounts on the deal than paying cash, and keep any offers such as free or reduced servicing as well.

Let’s hope dealers are keen for business when they open fully and don’t use the pandemic as an excuse to raise prices and devalue the part exchange, but that could be wishful thinking!
Agree; that’s what I will be doing when I change my current car.
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:48 am I can't see the Polo GTI+ having any great leaps in "must have" tech in the foreseeable to make people want to change to a newer model in droves. It already has (among other things) LED headlights, decent connectivity and the digital dash virtual cockpit that made my 2015 Golf R's driver info set-up look prehistoric
Agree; I don’t think tech upgrades will happen the short term - IMO VW will wait until the Polo gets its mid-life facelift to upgrade the tech. The current Polo was launched at the back end of 2017, so I’d expect the facelift to happen some time next year. Interior tech upgrades will probably involve the Polo getting much of what the mk8 Golf has - if so, then expect VW to replace all the conventional, intuitive, easy to use conventional buttons, switches and knobs with cheap to produce (and expensive to replace when they fail) touch pads that are more difficult to use on the move.

I wonder what the list price of a facelift GTI+ will be?
I think the Next Polo Will probably inherit the colour changing LED interior and some updates to the infortainment.
The only thing the more expensive germans brands have is the colour changing LED interior and more touch screen real estate.

What is the next phase in technology jump? Hybrid/Electric?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

@green Justin; Yes, the mk8 Golf has multiple colour choices for interior LED’s - a bit gimmicky IMO. The Polo will probably get the mk8 Golf’s generation of infotainment technology too. Perhaps the option of a head up display as well on some models?

Hybrid and full electric power plants will happen at some point. Whether it would be as part of the current Polo’s mid life facelift - who knows. It might get a hybrid power plant come face lift time, but I wouldn’t expect to see full electric until the next generation Polo (in 2024/2025?) It’s anyone’s guess though.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I can't see implementation of hybrid tech coming in for facelift time. They decided not to do it for the MK8 Golf at a higher price point than the Polo.

It's costly, heavy and unless you live in heavily congested areas with most of your driving done at a crawl, you'll be spending most of your time using fossil guels anyway.

If VAG fossil fuel cars are meeting current emissions standards, can't see VAG spending the money.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

'VeeTrub', as my mate calls them, often transfer spec downwards and include it in the price as a model ages. Lke S would get some of SE spec, SE would acquire some Match toys, Match might have GTi equipment added while R's & GTi's often end up almost fully loaded. They don't seem to be doing that at this time however....
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

stevereeves wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:32 pm 'VeeTrub', as my mate calls them, often transfer spec downwards and include it in the price as a model ages. Lke S would get some of SE spec, SE would acquire some Match toys, Match might have GTi equipment added while R's & GTi's often end up almost fully loaded. They don't seem to be doing that at this time however....
VW have added extra equipment towards the end of a model’s life on some models in the past - presumably to help maintain customer interest and sales.

I can remember VW including leather upholstery as standard in the mk6 Golf GTI and GTD a few months after I’d taken delivery of my new Golf GTD with cloth seats. Did it bother me? Not in the slightest, as VW’s leather option doesn’t use particularly good quality leather, and in the mk6 Golf it seemed particularly prone to sagging and creasing - especially on the outer bolster on the driver’s seat cushion. No such issues with the tartan cloth seats I had in my GTD, nor were my cloth seats hot in summer and cold in winter like leather can be.
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:49 pm I can't see implementation of hybrid tech coming in for facelift time. They decided not to do it for the MK8 Golf at a higher price point than the Polo.
VAG are implementing hybrid tech in the C segment in other VAG brands at the price point above the Polo - the new Cupra Leon and new Skoda Octavia VRS are both available as a hybrid option; 1.4 litre petrol engine together with 112/113bhp e-motor, producing 242bhp. The mk8 Golf GTE is to get the same hybrid tech, and there’s currently one mild hybrid power plant available in the mk8 Golf - a 1.5 eTSI.
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

Been looking at the Mazda 3. Fully specced got an offer back for £23,500 (including 4300 off for carwow). Nice looking car with an awesome interior. Im also kind of tired of VW's perpetual cost cutting while upping prices. This whole Dieselgate and trying to claw the money back through again consumers is a very fine balance that I think they're losing. Rant over but lastly im also tired if their chocolate manual clutches.
gegege
New
Drives: polo GTI 2019

Post by gegege »

TElwoody wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:15 pm Been looking at the Mazda 3. Fully specced got an offer back for £23,500 (including 4300 off for carwow). Nice looking car with an awesome interior. Im also kind of tired of VW's perpetual cost cutting while upping prices. This whole Dieselgate and trying to claw the money back through again consumers is a very fine balance that I think they're losing. Rant over but lastly im also tired if their chocolate manual clutches.
Hi,
I had mazda 3 from 1997 ( Three generations) until last year - trade it for a polo GTI+ 2019.
Still have a mazda 2.
Very good and reliable car.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

TElwoody wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:15 pm Been looking at the Mazda 3. Fully specced got an offer back for £23,500 (including 4300 off for carwow). Nice looking car with an awesome interior. Im also kind of tired of VW's perpetual cost cutting while upping prices. This whole Dieselgate and trying to claw the money back through again consumers is a very fine balance that I think they're losing. Rant over but lastly im also tired if their chocolate manual clutches.
Just don’t buy a Mazda diesel - they use fiat engines and have well publicised issues with diesel going into the oil regardless of your mileage. My friends dad has a brand new Mazda 6 three years back, diesel, and needed a new engine by 20,000 miles as diesel kept going into his oil.
TElwoody
Bronze Member

Post by TElwoody »

Oh hell no, looking at the new 2.0 petrol, compression combustion at low revs like a diesel. Spark plug and lower compression at higher revs. Torque low down and very free 7k rpm, also naturally aspirated so probably last longer.
TElwoody
Bronze Member

Post by TElwoody »

gegege wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:18 pm
Hi,
I had mazda 3 from 1997 ( Three generations) until last year - trade it for a polo GTI+ 2019.
Still have a mazda 2.
Very good and reliable car.
The new one looks awesome, the interior quality is really good. I visited a mazda dealership, pre lockdown if course. Kinda excited.
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Post by Ima »

It’s such a shame that as technically clever as the petrol engine is, when I drove a colleagues car it didn’t feel at all sporty for a 2.0 engine. Nothing happened until 3000 r pm and then all over just after 5000 and despite a linear power delivery it felt flat and lacking in urgency even compared to my wife’s 1.4 turbo FR. Of course not everyone wants sporty and it was well made and at least looked different to it’s competitors.
TElwoody
Bronze Member

Post by TElwoody »

Ima wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:40 pm It’s such a shame that as technically clever as the petrol engine is, when I drove a colleagues car it didn’t feel at all sporty for a 2.0 engine. Nothing happened until 3000 r pm and then all over just after 5000 and despite a linear power delivery it felt flat and lacking in urgency even compared to my wife’s 1.4 turbo FR. Of course not everyone wants sporty and it was well made and at least looked different to it’s competitors.
A few questions, did it seem refined? Also and lastly, did seem comfortable, or a little firm? I'm guessing it was one smaller 16" wheels.