Dashboard Plastic Rattles from flex

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
acj13
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2018

Dashboard Plastic Rattles from flex

Post by acj13 »

Hey all,

Pretty happy Polo GTI 2018 owner here - but boy has this car had a large number of small issues!

Most have been fixed over time with the dealer but the main issue is this rattle appearing on my passenger side near the air vent.

My red plastic in certain temperatures will 'flex' from movement of the plastic when driving which makes quite an annoying/frustrating noise. I know it's the red plastic because it makes the same noise when pressed. (I've already had the handbrake rattle fixed and it's not associated with acceleration etc like the Soundaktor issue seems to be).

VIDEO: https://streamable.com/olxroo

I've already had the dealer look at it but they aren't hugely helpful. Honestly it makes driving around very unpleasant because even with music playing, it is quite loud and frustrates me that something is designed so cheaply. My partner drives a 2012 Mazda 3, and such is life with a VW, their car has zero quality issues or noises.

Anyone had any idea with how to fix this, inc DIY? I'll take it back to the dealer if there's something I can tell them. It's such a frustrating issue!

Cheers :)
monty831
New
Drives: 2019 GTI Plus

Re: Dashboard Plastic Rattles from flex

Post by monty831 »

I have a number of issues, one caused by the dealer and the others just a result (IMO) of poor fitment and/or quality checks before it left the factory

I have an annoying sound (similar to yours) around the passenger air vent. But that was caused as the dealer had to remove the whole dash panel due to the led light strip failing (which was covered under warranty)

It's never been right since despite getting the dealer to try pack out the vent

I also have an annoying sound (a tinny noise) by the drivers side speaker

Finally the boot area makes a knocking noise which I am not sure if that was caused as part of readjustment of the boot strike plate (common problem I believe)

Car is only on 3k miles

I agree though, for me it takes away from the driving pleasure. I owned a Mk6 Golf once and that felt solid. Even my SEAT wasn't as bad as this (and that had its fair share of rattles)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'm surprised the dealers don't use sticky foam pads to resolve the coloured door opener lever surround. Put them under, compress to them clicking into place and the foam puts a bit of internal pressure back on to stop any slack rattling.

I have only noticed the rattle on a short section of that horrible ridged concrete road. On normal tarmac roads, I have no rattle. Do people's rattles change when they switch between normal and sport suspension on their GTIs?
mjsaville
Getting There!
Drives: Limestone Grey GTI+ (Finallly arrived)

Post by mjsaville »

I would be tempted to pull out the air vent and run the car for a bit with it removed , see if the sound persists e.g. eliminate the air vent from being part of the issue.

MJ
acj13
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2018

Post by acj13 »

Thanks all. Glad to hear I’m not the only one with the issue. Unlucky on newer cars too especially if a consequence of getting the LED strip fixed. Not a bad suggestion with the air vent, but for me it is the red surrounding plastic that seems to be making the noise. :-(
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

I’ve had the rattle dash since delivery day.

Dealers fix was to turn down the soundaktor (fake engine noise puck). Didn’t fix it...
I turned it off with OBD2 eventually, which did fix it...

No amount of whacks and smacks will fix it...
monty831
New
Drives: 2019 GTI Plus

Post by monty831 »

I am going to try get mine sorted now dealers are re-opening. I am outside of 6 months now so rejecting car will be much harder, although I have emails and proof of the issues that have been present since picking up the car

Just hope they can be sorted

Rattles only get worse with sports suspension on

I suspect moving to better tyres may help a bit with less road vibrations

monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

monty831 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:20 pm
I suspect moving to better tyres may help a bit with less road vibrations

Might be why it's not an issue for me generally, changing to PS4s from Bridgestones. The ride improved considerably.