What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by stuartrendall »

Bought some new wheels for my car this week, prefer them over VW standard wheels. I also blacked out the badges to remove some of the chrome. Not at all necessary, but I prefer the look even more now.
Attachments
2020-07-11_16.46.55.jpg
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

stuartrendall wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:19 pm Bought some new wheels for my car this week, prefer them over VW standard wheels. I also blacked out the badges to remove some of the chrome. Not at all necessary, but I prefer the look even more now.
They look like RC Design RC32’s in satin black - they look good and they have a much more durable finish than diamond cut alloys. No issues with white worm corrosion a couple of years down the line either, which is an added bonus!

If I had a current model GTI they would also be my choice of wheel (I’ve had them bookmarked on my iPad for many months! 😁), although I’d go for the satin grey version.

Difficult to tell from your picture if they’re 17” or 18”. I know the 18” version come in exactly the same size and offset as the 18” Brecsia’s (7.5J x 18” ET51) - although other offsets are available. They also have VW’s ‘standard’ centre bore size of 57.1 too, so no need for spigot rings - you can just bolt them straight on the car. Pretty certain you can also use the existing VW wheel bolts as well.

Do the VW centre caps fit? I see you’ve got the RC centre caps on yours.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

GTI_PLUS_TOM wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:57 pm Gave my GTI it's first wash and detail, spent 4 hours on it in total. Some might say it's pointless but I enjoy it :)
Looks great mate, something really satisfying about a clean car!
stuartrendall wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:19 pm Bought some new wheels for my car this week, prefer them over VW standard wheels. I also blacked out the badges to remove some of the chrome. Not at all necessary, but I prefer the look even more now.

They look really good Stuart!
stuartrendall
Bronze Member

Post by stuartrendall »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:43 pm
They look like RC Design RC32’s in satin black - they look good and they have a much more durable finish than diamond cut alloys. No issues with white worm corrosion a couple of years down the line either, which is an added bonus!

If I had a current model GTI they would also be my choice of wheel (I’ve had them bookmarked on my iPad for many months! 😁), although I’d go for the satin grey version.

Difficult to tell from your picture if they’re 17” or 18”. I know the 18” version come in exactly the same size and offset as the 18” Brecsia’s (7.5J x 18” ET51) - although other offsets are available. They also have VW’s ‘standard’ centre bore size of 57.1 too, so no need for spigot rings - you can just bolt them straight on the car. Pretty certain you can also use the existing VW wheel bolts as well.

I have 17" alloys on mine. Was a toss up between the 2 colours but thought it would fit the theme better. The size is exactly the same as the standards but I prefer the smaller size. The center caps are the RC Design ones but I plan on looking for different ones. And yes the bolts can be reused.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

stuartrendall wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:02 pm

I have 17" alloys on mine. Was a toss up between the 2 colours but thought it would fit the theme better. The size is exactly the same as the standards but I prefer the smaller size. The center caps are the RC Design ones but I plan on looking for different ones. And yes the bolts can be reused.
I’m getting wheel envy now 😂. IMO the RC Design RC32 looks quite OEM. If only VW offered a powder coated / painted wheel in that style and in a couple of different colour finishes for the GTI / GTI+.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member

Post by stuartrendall »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:45 pm
stuartrendall wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:02 pm

I’m getting wheel envy now 😂. IMO the RC Design RC32 looks quite OEM. If only VW offered a powder coated / painted wheel in that style and in a couple of different colour finishes for the GTI / GTI+.
Would be nice to get a Golf R kind of wheel as on optional extra.
Dazeredo
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo aw1 1.0t 95hp

Post by Dazeredo »

First really big trip with the Polo, aircon on all the trip, averaging 49 Miles per gallon

And today I need to wash the front of the car...
brynteg73
New
Drives: Polo Gti+

Post by brynteg73 »

As we have been in a 5 mile lockdown here for so long, my first trip out was much needed and enjoyed , just to my vw dealership and back :D
Attachments
IMG_3028.jpeg
GTI_PLUS_TOM
New
Drives: GTI+

Post by GTI_PLUS_TOM »

Today I hit the magic 620 mile run in and I had a sun roof open 37 mile spirited drive home on some of my favourite roads. It's exactly the moment I was longing for in my GTI. On a twisty, technical quiet road it is bags of fun! Even more so now I can rev out fully. Magic! :)
MattHGR
Bronze Member

Post by MattHGR »

Just finished a 310 mile trip with Aircon on. 53.1 mpg.
I used ACC with the closest distance setting, following another family member's car all the way.
Not bad for 2 people, a boot and rear seats with luggage.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

MattHGR
Bronze Member

Post by MattHGR »

GTI_PLUS_TOM wrote:Today I hit the magic 620 mile run in and I had a sun roof open 37 mile spirited drive home on some of my favourite roads. It's exactly the moment I was longing for in my GTI. On a twisty, technical quiet road it is bags of fun! Even more so now I can rev out fully. Magic! :)
Nice !
Don't have the sunroof on mine but loving it with windows down on twisty Cornish backroads!

GTI_PLUS_TOM
New

Post by GTI_PLUS_TOM »

MattHGR wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:35 pm
GTI_PLUS_TOM wrote:Today I hit the magic 620 mile run in and I had a sun roof open 37 mile spirited drive home on some of my favourite roads. It's exactly the moment I was longing for in my GTI. On a twisty, technical quiet road it is bags of fun! Even more so now I can rev out fully. Magic! :)
Nice !
Don't have the sunroof on mine but loving it with windows down on twisty Cornish backroads!

Lovely stuff, there is something about having a small.connection to the outside when enjoying the car which makes all.tbe difference!
Dazeredo
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo aw1 1.0t 95hp

Post by Dazeredo »

MattHGR wrote:Just finished a 310 mile trip with Aircon on. 53.1 mpg.
I used ACC with the closest distance setting, following another family member's car all the way.
Not bad for 2 people, a boot and rear seats with luggage.

Nice average. If I had a 6 gear I'd be easier to get better fuel economy.
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

Those really suit the car and colour, far more aggressive stance with hints of R32 Golf with the more open spoke design. 8)
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

Fitted gas bonnet struts and red paddle extensions today. Install was a breeze for both as I had all the necessary tools.

For the gas struts you need the following tools:
no27 6 points bit
12mm and 13mm sockets
and a small adjustable spanner

For the paddles, you just need some snipe nose pliers to pull the locking pin out and can be pushed back in my hand.
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-17 at 12.45.04.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-17 at 12.44.38.jpeg
Items were bought from aliexpress

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000825 ... 4c4dPTBRF4
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000780 ... 4c4dPTBRF4

Thankfully didn't pay import tax and arrived just under 4 weeks.

£20.08 delivered for the gas struts.
£12.98 delivered for the paddle extensions

Considerably cheaper than UK seller.
Last edited by l3rady on Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.