VW polo GTI in manual transmission

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Pologtimanual
New
Drives: VW POLO GTI

VW polo GTI in manual transmission

Post by Pologtimanual »

Hi, why is the manual transmission polo gti so hard to find? And why Aren't they made Anymore? I have a polo gti with DSG but I think a manual would have suit the car better. But do you think the manual polo gti will become a "rare" car in the future?
Thanks beforehand for the answers :D
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: VW polo GTI in manual transmission

Post by monkeyhanger »

Pologtimanual wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:03 pm Hi, why is the manual transmission polo gti so hard to find? And why Aren't they made Anymore? I have a polo gti with DSG but I think a manual would have suit the car better. But do you think the manual polo gti will become a "rare" car in the future?
Thanks beforehand for the answers :D
Depends where you are. If you're in the UK, there aren't any manual box GTIs for this market, none were made for the RHD UK market. Czech Republic and Germany had them for a while (Czech Republic may still have them).

A choice of a manual would be great, but VW have decided otherwise. Maybe it's a good thing because the clutches VW have been fitting into higher output petrol engined cars recently have been crap. My Golf R's clutch started slipping in cold weather at 23k miles.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:45 pm Depends where you are. If you're in the UK, there aren't any manual box GTIs for this market, none were made for the RHD UK market. Czech Republic and Germany had them for a while (Czech Republic may still have them).

A choice of a manual would be great, but VW have decided otherwise. Maybe it's a good thing because the clutches VW have been fitting into higher output petrol engined cars recently have been crap. My Golf R's clutch started slipping in cold weather at 23k miles.
Nobody have them anymore. :) There mightbe some unsellee at dealears (I have personaly saw one in red colour few months back). But new are not produced anymore. And they are so hard to find for single reason .... It was in production for less than year (november 2018 to roughly september 2019). Last numbers (from end of production at czech republic market) was 250 dsg gti and little over 100 for manual. And as said they were LHD only since all of them were made in spain and all gti with RHD were made in south africa. :)
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

Very rare then - a future collectors item! Might one day see a LHD manual GTI in the UK that has been imported.
proalves
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI AW1 2019

Post by proalves »

I'm one of the lucky ones that has a manual transmission. :D
Here only with DSG are now sold.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Having only DSG transmission removes one small element of complexity for VW in building the GTI.

The difference in list price of a Polo in the UK with manual transmission or DSG is around £1,400 - £1,500. Does it cost VW an extra £1,400 - £1,500 for a DSG transmission compared to a manual gearbox? I’m guessing it doesn’t, in which case VW will be making more profit on DSG GTI’s than they would be able to on manual GTI’s.

Not having a RHD manual GTI doesn’t seem to have stopped people in the UK wanting them, and if VW have met or exceeded their UK GTI sales targets by offering a DSG only car, there’s not really been much of an incentive for them to offer the option of a manual version.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Simonz wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:13 pm Very rare then - a future collectors item! Might one day see a LHD manual GTI in the UK that has been imported.
Or maybe switch rhd dsg polo ro manual. Most parts are same for both versions :)