Delivery/Tracking

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
jackwhittle760
New
Drives: GTI+

Re: Delivery/Tracking

Post by jackwhittle760 »

Simmo63 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:04 pm
lancslad1985 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:14 pm
Simmo63 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:09 pm Just had an email from the dealership I ordered from back in January, my Polo GTI+ is on a ship called Glovis Spirit and arrives in Emden tomorrow (21/07/20) at 20:30, don’t know what the timeline will be from there.
Same as me. Which port in the UK is it likely to go to? Mines likely to be Grimsby as I’m Preston based.
Likely Grimsby as it will be delivered to Doncaster VW👍
I’m just down road from VW Doncaster but ordered mine from Scinthorpe, will be good to see another GTI on the roads of Doncaster! What colour you gone for? Mine will be Limestone Grey :)
jackwhittle760
New

Post by jackwhittle760 »

For those people with Polo’s on the Glovis Spirit arriving in Emden tonight, what dates did you order your cars?

I ordered mine 27/01/20 so hoping it might be on this ship!
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

jackwhittle760 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:11 pm For those people with Polo’s on the Glovis Spirit arriving in Emden tonight, what dates did you order your cars?

I ordered mine 27/01/20 so hoping it might be on this ship!
I ordered mine on Father’s Day but it was already in the system and awaiting transport.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:39 pm Not to go off topic, but can anyone recommend a good faraday pouch?
S_94 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:26 pm https://www.amazon.co.uk/Signal-Blocker ... 916&sr=8-1

I've got these. They've held up really well, if you've got loads of keys it might be a bit of squeeze to fit them all in though.

The velcro has lasted and is still strong, had a different branded set where the velcro gave up after a month.
For anyone using a Faraday pouch; bear in mind that the protective lining can fail over time. With this in mind, it’s important to check periodically that the pouch still effectively blocking the signal:- have the key in the pouch with you and try to open the locked car. If it opens, then it’s time to replace the pouch.

Also, the key fob batteries on keyless cars can have a relatively short life and ‘die’ with little or no warning, so worth keeping a spare in your car / wallet in case this happens.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:29 pm
lancslad1985 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:39 pm Not to go off topic, but can anyone recommend a good faraday pouch?
S_94 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:26 pm https://www.amazon.co.uk/Signal-Blocker ... 916&sr=8-1

I've got these. They've held up really well, if you've got loads of keys it might be a bit of squeeze to fit them all in though.

The velcro has lasted and is still strong, had a different branded set where the velcro gave up after a month.
For anyone using a Faraday pouch; bear in mind that the protective lining can fail over time. With this in mind, it’s important to check periodically that the pouch still effectively blocking the signal:- have the key in the pouch with you and try to open the locked car. If it opens, then it’s time to replace the pouch.

Also, the key fob batteries on keyless cars can have a relatively short life and ‘die’ with little or no warning, so worth keeping a spare in your car / wallet in case this happens.
Good point mate. I do a check every now and then just to make sure the pouch is still working as intended.

Wasn't sure about the batteries not lasting, will keep that in mind!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:32 pm Wasn't sure about the batteries not lasting, will keep that in mind!
Yes, some mk7 / mk7.5 Golf owners with keyless entry / keyless start over on golfgtiforum.co.uk have reported their key fob batteries dying after 12-18 months. The original key fob battery in my non-keyless car is still going strong after nearly 4.5 years.

Apologies for continuing the off-topic subject matter in this thread - I’ll let it get back on topic again now 🙂.
Magpie-01
New
Drives: Polo r line

Post by Magpie-01 »

My VW Polo GTI + ordered Feb 14, in transit on app July 4th, left PE July 9th on The Glovis Star en route to Vigo in Spain then Emden Germany :D
jackwhittle760
New

Post by jackwhittle760 »

Magpie-01 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:10 am My VW Polo GTI + ordered Feb 14, in transit on app July 4th, left PE July 9th on The Glovis Star en route to Vigo in Spain then Emden Germany :D
I ordered Jan 27th, and got my 5A on July 3rd so I think I might be in same boat as you ;) (hopefully)
PhilArnold
Bronze Member
Drives: White AW Gti+

Post by PhilArnold »

I've just about had it with VW!

I've finally been told that my car wasn't on the boat that I was told previously about 2 months ago, and so hasn't arrived in Emden. Its still in transit but my dealer can't tell me what boat it is on. Delivery was slated for July but this clearly now isn't going to happen.

Dealer not really very empathetic either which is really not helping at all
Polo monster
New
Drives: R Line DSG 115

Post by Polo monster »

PhilArnold wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:58 pm I've just about had it with VW!

I've finally been told that my car wasn't on the boat that I was told previously about 2 months ago, and so hasn't arrived in Emden. Its still in transit but my dealer can't tell me what boat it is on. Delivery was slated for July but this clearly now isn't going to happen.

I’ve had my Polo Gti+ for 2 weeks and I hate it.
I sold a Golf R for it. Massive mistake, I waited along time for this car because the first one was plagued with faults. This one is definitely a stop gap car, if I still have it by end of the year I will be very surprised.
I hope your long wait doesn’t turn into huge disappointment like me. VW just don’t build great cars in my opinion anymore.
The whole experience has soured my want for the brand.
PhilArnold
Bronze Member
Drives: White AW Gti+

Post by PhilArnold »

Polo monster wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:24 pm

I sold a Golf R for it. Massive mistake, I waited along time for this car because the first one was plagued with faults. This one is definitely a stop gap car, if I still have it by end of the year I will be very surprised.
I hope your long wait doesn’t turn into huge disappointment like me. VW just don’t build great cars in my opinion anymore.
Oh dear! What don't you like about your car if you don't mind me asking?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

That bad? I think the Polo GTI+ is great - we bought 2 of them.

I had a Golf R that I kept for 46 months before selling it. I found it amazingly quick off the line, but incredibly dull to drive - completely lacking any kind of a buzz below 4000revs, it was just so composed in all circumstances. It just wasn't fun like a hot hatch should be.

The ownership experience was marred by a gritty shift and occasional reluctance to slot into gear on the manual box that I was convinced was a linkage issue. Unfortunately none of the local dealershil groups would give me the time of day to sort it under warranty.

The MK7 Golf feels so flimsy with those really thin body panels, and the price being asked now is ludicrous.

For me, the Polo came in at just the right price point and is only marginally smaller than a Golf.

It's begging for more power and the best thing you can do to upgrade is bin the Bridgestone tyres if you got Brescias.

VWs aren't built as well or as solidly as they used to be, but neither are Mercs and BMWs - Quality is dictated by the accountants now, right across the car industry.
Polo monster
New
Drives: R Line DSG 115

Post by Polo monster »

PhilArnold wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:13 pm

Oh dear! What don't you like about your car if you don't mind me asking?
It’s probably the wrong place to come on a polo forum and say I hate it but Hey ho though, it’s my opinion.
I’m an ex vehicle senior tech (saw the light and left the dismal trade for pastures new), and I’ve owned 31 Various cars (+vans) over 28 years.
I’ve had 3 VW AW polo’s now, a 115ps R-Line and 2 Gti+’s.
Don’t get me wrong, the polo isn’t a bad car.
I just cannot find any love for the Gti. If I’m honest I Preferred the R Line, Which I kept for a year before the chance to own a Gti came along. (I should of packaged that chance).
The Gti is quite well specced for the money but none of the spec is of any particular good quality.
It’s somewhat uncomfortable, a lot more noisy, sterile in excitement (because it tries to be something it’s not) and mediocre in every other department.
When I think Gti, I immediately think Golf, and perhaps that’s where the problem lies for me.
I’m kind of kicking myself for not walking away after the fiasco with the 1st Gti+ I had.
The Golf R was an awesome all rounder and I must of loved it because I kept it for 3.5 years. Desperately miss it but current circumstances meant it had to go (not financial reasons).
So to keep this on a bit on topic, the Build/delivery time of 9 months from order to pick up was in my opinion definitely not worth the wait. So, Polo Gti+ coming to a used forecourt very soon...
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ I wonder what you'll buy next? If the Polo AW disappoints, you'll be in for more of the same with the MK8 Golf which is borh ugly and has a cheaper interior than I'm used to seeing on a Golf.

As said before, wasn't hugely impressed with the build quality of the MK7 Golf, felt very flimsy and obvious cost cutting in a lot of places - yet very expensive for what it is. The Polo GTI+ shares most of it's tech with the MK7.5 Golf (notable exceptions being the old school handbrake, optional Climate Control and Optional Nav - which wasn't standard equipment on my 2015 Golf R).

For me, the last great Golf was the MK5. Thinning the bodyshell to the tune of 23kg saving on the MK7 Golf has made the body feel very flimsy and cheap.

The Golf is a bit better than the Polo, but not £9k better, not even £5k better. If I was buying a Golf R equivalent right now, I'd be going for a BMW 135. Since ditching RWD for 1 series, I think BMW have beaten the Golf at its own game.
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Post by Ima »

Agreed although the new BMW design direction is certainly an acquired taste. After seeing an M135i last week I’m not sure I could get on with its looks. Generally VW build quality is okay. Much better than other mass market cars like Ford for example from my experience.

In this case once you have been so disappointed in a car to have to reject it in my opinion there is no going back as it will always sour the experience. I’ve had the same when I bought a 207 GTi (I know I was young and foolish). At handover there were so many faults I refused collection and rejected but the dealer principal in desperation made so many sweeteners that I foolishly accepted even though in my heart I knew it was a mistake. They failed to fully rectify the faults and car was gone in 6 months. Oh and it truly was an awful car anyway :roll: