Polo 1.0 SE MPI 75hp review

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
TheRacingRat
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Polo 1.0 SE MPI 75hp review

Post by TheRacingRat »

So I’ve got one of these(18 reg) as a courtesy car while mines In the body shop.

Well there isn’t much to talk about except the engine...err so anything out town it Is borderline dangerous. No power what so ever.
Never buy this engine unless you live in a city and will never go out of it. Honestly can’t see why they used this engine. The 95hp TSI is the lowest you should ever consider for the polo. Apart from that it drives just as well as all the other polos.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Polo 1.0 SE MPI 75hp review

Post by Andy Beats »

Mates and I were having a laugh at how we've all become 'spoiled' with power now.
When we were young, 60bhp or less was common in family cars and the likes of an RS2000 was considered fast as hell with 106bhp! :shock:
I drove my daughter's 68bhp non-turbo Picanto up from Edinburgh to Aberdeen recently and it was perfectly fine.
Once you're at 70mph-80mph it will stay there all day long (and give better MPG than my Polo at the same speed - sore point).
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Had the same car when mine was in for a service.

Horrible to drive. Think as a first car for a new/young driver it would be decent though.
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Post by brainbow »

My first car was a 1992 Polo GT.
Appreciate it was probably much lighter but that was 75hp!

Wanted a G40 but never happened.
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

It's a shame as you can buy the Match or Beats with all the same equipment for a decent price but the 80hp EVO engine kills it. I've noticed these are all insurance group 1 as low as it goes so obviously VW are aiming for the young driver market, parents buy them one as it looks decent and full of kit and safe but it's not fast (but is it dangerous due to lack of any acceleration?).

Agree the 95 TSI is just about OK - it probably has double the torque which makes all the difference.

I think equivalent 65 / 70PS engines in Picanto or Aygo are better as they are smaller and less bulky cars and you kind of accept the deal and just drive them flat out.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Simonz wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:50 pm (but is it dangerous due to lack of any acceleration?).
Quite simply, no
A bad driver can get themselves into bad situations in any car, but 75bhp should be perfectly sufficient for most driving.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

My first car was a 2002 Polo with the 1.2 65PS. It was slow, but not dangerous. I've driven the previous shape Polo with the 75PS 1.0 engine, it's very slow but it's not dangerous. You just have to plan what you're doing.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

My first car was a 1 litre mini with 40 bhp back in 1977. 1.0 litre 40 bhp was slow, but most other cars were slower then than their modern day counterparts. Agree with @vc-10; you had to plan your manoeuvres in advance - especially overtaking! Not much in the way of safety features in a car in the 1970’s either other than seat belts 😯.

I also had a few hot batches in the 1980’s, and a 1.6 - 1.8 litre Golf sized hot hatch with around 100 -120 bhp was the norm then. Many 1.0 litre engines equal or better that these days.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Not a review as such, had one as a loaner once; not dangerous was ok around town but, interesting :o , on A-roads, seemingly no power, later had a 1.0 litre Up! which blew the Polo away (and was fun actually :D ) prob a power : weight thing....