LED Bulbs

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
kyle92
New
Drives: 1.2 tdi 2011

LED Bulbs

Post by kyle92 »

Morning Folks,

I am looking to upgrade my polo's bulbs, basically all that I can, headlight, side light, inside light....the lot of them to LED, however I am really struggling to find anything that definitely fits my polo, especially the headlight.

I did have 2 different LED H4 bulbs from my motorcycle that I tried to fit however despite both of them being quite compact for an LED bulb, they still would not fit.

If anybody has any links to any LED bulbs that they know definitely fits, it would be greatly appreciated!

2011 polo 1.2 TDI 6R

Cheers,
Kyle
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: LED Bulbs

Post by RUM4MO »

Have any of these LED headlight bulbs managed to get approval for use on public roads yet, I didn't think that they had?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

One of the main issues with fitting LED’s into reflector headlamp units designed for halogen bulbs is light beam scatter, annoying and dazzling other road users, especially oncoming drivers. Also, because the beam from LED’s is scattered rather than focused on the road ahead, there’s unlikely to be an improvement in night time visibility, and as @RUM4MO has said, they may not be road legal.

IMO, better to buy some upgraded halogen bulbs - e.g. Twenty20 Daylight 150, Philips RacingVision GT200, Osram Night Breaker Laser or similar. These were the top three halogen replacement bulbs in a recent Auto Express test;

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-g ... bulbs-2021
kyle92
New
Drives: 1.2 tdi 2011

Post by kyle92 »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:15 am Have any of these LED headlight bulbs managed to get approval for use on public roads yet, I didn't think that they had?
Not when fitted into reflectors designed for a halogen, different beam spread, however I have done this for years on 2 wheels...the beam spread is fine for me and if it becomes an issue for MOT then I swap out the bulbs, easy as that.
SRGTD wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:10 am One of the main issues with fitting LED’s into reflector headlamp units designed for halogen bulbs is light beam scatter, annoying and dazzling other road users, especially oncoming drivers. Also, because the beam from LED’s is scattered rather than focused on the road ahead, there’s unlikely to be an improvement in night time visibility, and as @RUM4MO has said, they may not be road legal.

IMO, better to buy some upgraded halogen bulbs - e.g. Twenty20 Daylight 150, Philips RacingVision GT200, Osram Night Breaker Laser or similar. These were the top three halogen replacement bulbs in a recent Auto Express test;

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-g ... bulbs-2021
I spent years on 2 wheels trying to find a great halogen, it always came down to the philips extreme or the osram night breakers, now when the tests and advertising state they are 'X and X', I can guarantee you that when commuting in all seasons and relying heavily on a single 7" bowl headlight, I barely noticed a different between the cheap halogens and the osrams/philips.
I eventually chucked an LED in and it was the best thing I ever did, yeah okay the beam spread is not perfect however I could actually see!!!