Extended warranty - Has anyone taken one out? Is it a good thing to have?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Extended warranty - Has anyone taken one out? Is it a good thing to have?

Post by MilgeS »

Hi, I had an email through from VW today offering preferential price if I but before 24/08/2021, I had this for my Fabia Vrs as I knew that engine was unreliable, what do we all think about taking it out for a GTi+ or R-Line 115ps?

Neither of my cars have hit 20k yet, I m likely to keep the R-Line at least 1 more year, maybe 2, the GTi+ I will keep for 2, 3 maybe more.

Does the extended warranty have to be taken now or can it be done if I skip a year? I guess not or if it can, it will be at a premium.

Thank you for any thoughts on this.
wayne10244
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI +

Re: Extended warranty - Has anyone taken one out? Is it a good thing to have?

Post by wayne10244 »

You might be better getting the new service plan as there are two versions the latter has 2 year service plan with 2 mots and a extra year warranty compared to the normal 2 year service plan of just 2 services I had a extra years warranty extra for free when I brought the car plus service plan
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I opted for the extended service plan up to 100 0000Km's when I bought my vehicle so that I dont need to pay for servcies. The first 3 services are included in the sales price (up to 45000KM's).
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

wayne10244 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:50 am You might be better getting the new service plan as there are two versions the latter has 2 year service plan with 2 mots and a extra year warranty compared to the normal 2 year service plan of just 2 services I had a extra years warranty extra for free when I brought the car plus service plan
Thank you for letting me know about this, I recently bought a service plan but wasn't told about this option, I'll have to find out when it was released and if it was available whe I bought my plans I'll have a moan and get it changed!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

MilgeS wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:46 am
wayne10244 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:50 am You might be better getting the new service plan as there are two versions the latter has 2 year service plan with 2 mots and a extra year warranty compared to the normal 2 year service plan of just 2 services I had a extra years warranty extra for free when I brought the car plus service plan
Thank you for letting me know about this, I recently bought a service plan but wasn't told about this option, I'll have to find out when it was released and if it was available whe I bought my plans I'll have a moan and get it changed!
It’s called ‘All-in’ and was launched about a month ago - end of May. Comprises two services, two years warranty, two years roadside assistance and two MOT’s.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners-and ... ans/all-in

And these are the T’s and C’s;
https://customer.vwfs.co.uk/content/dam ... itions.pdf
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:01 am
MilgeS wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:46 am
It’s called ‘All-in’ and was launched about a month ago - end of May. Comprises two services, two years warranty, two years roadside assistance and two MOT’s.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners-and ... ans/all-in

And these are the T’s and C’s;
https://customer.vwfs.co.uk/content/dam ... itions.pdf
I'm just trying to get through to VW to cancel my service plans and then my dealer will be able to set up the new one you mention, looks like the warranty is the same as the "All component" warranty I would have bought, so it's a great value offer, really grateful for you mentioning this.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

I'm very much a 'piece of mind person', an extra years warranty on a Golf was £250 and worth it IMO as one component issue would cover the payment, also the 'all-in' warranty / service package is very good value IMO. Interestingly, local radio ads have broadcast (words to the effect) : "have your less than 10 yrs old and less than 100,000 miles out of full manufacturer's warranty car seviced at any Lexus dealer to receive a free 1 year 'manufacturers warranty' t&c apply, etc", gotta be worth enquiring about at least.....
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

stevereeves wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:07 pm I'm very much a 'piece of mind person', an extra years warranty on a Golf was £250 and worth it IMO as one component issue would cover the payment, also the 'all-in' warranty / service package is very good value IMO. Interestingly, local radio ads have broadcast (words to the effect) : "have your less than 10 yrs old and less than 100,000 miles out of full manufacturer's warranty car seviced at any Lexus dealer to receive a free 1 year 'manufacturers warranty' t&c apply, etc", gotta be worth enquiring about at least.....
Thank you for your thoughts, I am really happy it's a far greater deal than I would have had if I wasn't made aware of it by wayne10244 above, it took about 30 minutes on hold/call to cancel my service packs I had booked, just waiting on my local dealer to arrange the new All In packs for both my cars now.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

Interesting!

I bought a 2 yr old Polo with extended warranty/breakdown from a VW franchise about 30 miles away from me. (couldn't find one with the spec I wanted, locally) I just got an offer from the seller about pay monthly servicing only deal... 'from' £20.69p per month over 2 years.

I phoned a local VW garage and they said the servicing deal included breakdown and MOT too. I asked for details. Now I know there are two different deals and it probably wouldn't be the same price).

I'm not sure the extras one is good for me.. My vehicle came with a two year warranty and breakdown cover anyway. regarding the MOT, this garage always added headlight adjustments on every MOT I had with them on my old Polo. I stopped going there for MOTs and took it to an council run MOT testing station. They don't do repairs.. only MOTs. Never failed a headlight alignment test since!

Think I'll go for the VW offer of servicing only just to help with the VW extended warranty... What do you all think?

ps.. I can take out the offer online.. does it matter not going through the garage?
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

When I initially ordered mine and it was delayed, I spec’ed a 4yr service plan and a 4 year extended warranty, which by the time I took delivery 18 months later, any plans over 2yrs where no longer available, but because I had got it in writing at the time of ordering they honoured the agreement, & 2yrs later I’ve recently had a replacement boot lock fitted and some work done on the ACC front sensor in the grill badge FOC under the warranty