Polo GTI (AW)Mods

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
ShamzGTI
New
Drives: AW GTI

Polo GTI (AW)Mods

Post by ShamzGTI »

Hi guys,

So I am looking at a few mods but wanted to get some help on deciding what to pick and personal experiences if you had done any.

1. Looking to add downpipe. Not sure if I should go with cat or catless. If I do a full exhaust what would you recommend. I don't want something that would cause insane drone. Do I need to do a tune with the exhaust? What are the consequences?

2. Looking to lower the car by around 20/30mm and fitting spaces. Considering Eibach pro kit lowering springs. Car has DCC so not looking at coilovers. I see there is a bilstein set of dampers and springs but it's crazy pricey to keep the DCC feature.
What are your experiences lowering the car with shorter springs. Does it after ride quality alot? Is there bounce to the drive with just springs and stock dampers?

Is it advisable to install adjustable drop links when lowering the car?
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: Polo GTI (AW)Mods

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

ShamzGTI wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:29 pm Hi guys,

So I am looking at a few mods but wanted to get some help on deciding what to pick and personal experiences if you had done any.

1. Looking to add downpipe. Not sure if I should go with cat or catless. If I do a full exhaust what would you recommend. I don't want something that would cause insane drone. Do I need to do a tune with the exhaust? What are the consequences?
Adding a downpipe will void warranty as you will need to do an ECU tune if you remove the Cat and/or the OPF in the exhaust system. If you do get a downpipe catless or not then I recommend also removing the OPF you won't get the full benefit and you will probably run into issues with the OPF clogging up with soot.

I've looked into getting a downpipe previously and Milltek seem to offer the best option with a catless pipe or a high flow cat and an OPF delete with the harness required but again you will need a tune. Currently I have an OPF back Milltek system that cause no drone over the stock system and obviously requires no tune.
ShamzGTI
New

Post by ShamzGTI »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:11 pm Thanks Stuart, Not worried to much on warranty as its got last couple months left.
I doubt its an OPF model, dont recall any models in South Africa with OPF.
Does your car sound much better now with pops and bangs. I am looking for some good pops and bangs but nothing crazy
ShamzGTI wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:29 pm Hi guys,

Adding a downpipe will void warranty as you will need to do an ECU tune if you remove the Cat and/or the OPF in the exhaust system. If you do get a downpipe catless or not then I recommend also removing the OPF you won't get the full benefit and you will probably run into issues with the OPF clogging up with soot.

I've looked into getting a downpipe previously and Milltek seem to offer the best option with a catless pipe or a high flow cat and an OPF delete with the harness required but again you will need a tune. Currently I have an OPF back Milltek system that cause no drone over the stock system and obviously requires no tune.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

ShamzGTI wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:36 pm Thanks Stuart, Not worried to much on warranty as its got last couple months left.
I doubt its an OPF model, dont recall any models in South Africa with OPF.
Does your car sound much better now with pops and bangs. I am looking for some good pops and bangs but nothing crazy
My car only has the rare pop and fart with the DSG because of the OPF I have and I imagine you won't have an OPF then if your car is a SA model.

If it was me and I had no OPF, I would get a decatted downpipe either Milltek or a custom pipe from a reputable garage.
wayne10244
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI +

Post by wayne10244 »

For those who has OPF on there gti and looking for a down pipe and are U.K. based! There are no legal system your car won’t pass a MOT if you got OPF and delete it I spoke to milltek and there no Present plans for the polo Gti to develop a down pipe with sports cat and OPF! If you have it mapped out your car is only suitable for the track. So at the moment you are suck till someone comes up with a performance down pipe with cat and OPF
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

wayne10244 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:30 am For those who has OPF on there gti and looking for a down pipe and are U.K. based! There are no legal system your car won’t pass a MOT if you got OPF and delete it I spoke to milltek and there no Present plans for the polo Gti to develop a down pipe with sports cat and OPF! If you have it mapped out your car is only suitable for the track. So at the moment you are suck till someone comes up with a performance down pipe with cat and OPF
Having an OPF for M.O.T's is not a legal requirement so if you remove the OPF you can still pass and M.O.T therefor it is legal. Also people who decide to go ahead with this mod definitely know that its a grey area so it's a 'do it at your own risk' sort of thing. Milltek add the "TRACK USE ONLY" onto their parts but they know full well nobody is buying it for that purpose.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

Think your wrong there regarding OPF and mot’s ?

Taken from the current mot manual see defect *a* = major defect

8.2.1.1. Exhaust emission control equipment
This inspection is only for vehicles that must have a full catalyst emissions test (disregarding the basic emissions test). You only need to check components that are visible and identifiable, such as catalytic converters, oxygen sensors, and exhaust gas recirculation valves.

Defect Category
(a) Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer: missing, obviously modified or obviously defective.
MAJOR
(b) An induction or exhaust leak that could affect emissions levels.
MAJOR

If it was fitted as standard at factory it needs to be there I believe
German_Fartbox
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2.0 DSG (2020)

Post by German_Fartbox »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:26 pm
wayne10244 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:30 am For those who has OPF on there gti and looking for a down pipe and are U.K. based! There are no legal system your car won’t pass a MOT if you got OPF and delete it I spoke to milltek and there no Present plans for the polo Gti to develop a down pipe with sports cat and OPF! If you have it mapped out your car is only suitable for the track. So at the moment you are suck till someone comes up with a performance down pipe with cat and OPF
Having an OPF for M.O.T's is not a legal requirement so if you remove the OPF you can still pass and M.O.T therefor it is legal. Also people who decide to go ahead with this mod definitely know that its a grey area so it's a 'do it at your own risk' sort of thing. Milltek add the "TRACK USE ONLY" onto their parts but they know full well nobody is buying it for that purpose.
Literally everywhere I have looked has said the opposite - 100% illegal to drive on UK roads with the filter removed and is an MOT fail.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

German_Fartbox wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:13 pm Literally everywhere I have looked has said the opposite - 100% illegal to drive on UK roads with the filter removed and is an MOT fail.
I spoke to an advisor at Milltek around a year ago and they told me if you remove the OPF it will still pass M.O.T's and I confirmed this with my local dealer too. It may have changed since then but that is my personal experience. Failing that there is always friendly M.O.T places that will look the other way.
ShamzGTI
New

Post by ShamzGTI »

Thanks for the responses everyone. I am not concerned about MOT nor do I believe the car is OPF.

Just unsure of exhaust to go with that would not require a tune. Not really interested in tuning as I still want it reliable for daily use. Also not chasing for more performance just want a good tone with pops.

Anyone lowered their GTI? What is ur experience
German_Fartbox
New

Post by German_Fartbox »

ShamzGTI wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:55 pm Thanks for the responses everyone. I am not concerned about MOT nor do I believe the car is OPF.

Just unsure of exhaust to go with that would not require a tune. Not really interested in tuning as I still want it reliable for daily use. Also not chasing for more performance just want a good tone with pops.

Unless you're just changing the muffler at the back then I'm pretty sure you're going to need a tune as you will have increased airflow so its going to throw the ECU out.

I'm about to lower my GTI (2020) and a local garage to me who has amazing reviews said its going to be a nightmare to do coil overs and very expensive. Apparently to do with the wiring for the adaptive dampers on the rear specifically, so springs is the way to go. He said the ride quality is going to be shocking (obviously). He has a 6R or 6C (can't remember now) GTI which he has lowered and he said its rough to drive on UK roads, he didn't have it with him on the day I was there as he was going to let me have a drive and see. He had a look under my car and said its pretty much the same set up as the 6R/6C so its going to be very similar ride quality. He also advised to stay away from H&R springs as they're s**t and stick with Eibach - not looked into this yet but I'll take his advice anyway since he seems to know his stuff.
TheRacingRat
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by TheRacingRat »

Eibach pro line kit springs probably the way to go, lowers around 25mm. I will fit these once I own the car.
German_Fartbox
New

Post by German_Fartbox »

TheRacingRat wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:50 am Eibach pro line kit springs probably the way to go, lowers around 25mm. I will fit these once I own the car.
I was looking last night and I think I'm gonna go daddy big balls and get the sport line. Might be crippled in 6 months...
TheRacingRat
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by TheRacingRat »

The sport line kit is the more aggressive of the 2 sets of springs, firmer and a greater drop. Let me know how you get on. I had Eibachs on my MK 3 Golf VR6 are they were great, sat perfectly. I had them again on my Alfa GT and the front was too low and the back too high, always annoyed me as if anything I’d rather it be the other way round, so naturally I’m apprehensive about getting a set for the POLO although I wound like it to ride a bit lower(20mm ish)
ShamzGTI
New

Post by ShamzGTI »

German_Fartbox wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:51 am Sounds good. I will do exhaust last. Need to spend some time to do some digging. Don't want a tune.
As for the springs let me know how this goes
Currently under 3rd wave covid followed by looting so not a good idea right now to get anything done.
ShamzGTI wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:55 pm Thanks for the responses everyone. I am not concerned about MOT nor do I believe the car is OPF.

Unless you're just changing the muffler at the back then I'm pretty sure you're going to need a tune as you will have increased airflow so its going to throw the ECU out.

I'm about to lower my GTI (2020) and a local garage to me who has amazing reviews said its going to be a nightmare to do coil overs and very expensive. Apparently to do with the wiring for the adaptive dampers on the rear specifically, so springs is the way to go. He said the ride quality is going to be shocking (obviously). He has a 6R or 6C (can't remember now) GTI which he has lowered and he said its rough to drive on UK roads, he didn't have it with him on the day I was there as he was going to let me have a drive and see. He had a look under my car and said its pretty much the same set up as the 6R/6C so its going to be very similar ride quality. He also advised to stay away from H&R springs as they're s**t and stick with Eibach - not looked into this yet but I'll take his advice anyway since he seems to know his stuff.