Polo GTI+ owner - downsize to UP GTI vs upsize to Golf GTI

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
TGGTI
New
Drives: GTI 2019

Polo GTI+ owner - downsize to UP GTI vs upsize to Golf GTI

Post by TGGTI »

GTI+ lease ends next year.

To replace I'm looking to buy rather than lease again (see my other thread). Especially for this type of car.

So The question is in the title :?:

Anyone had experience of switching to the UP GTI or Golf GTI and how it compares?

Would value any experience, thanks!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Polo GTI+ owner - downsize to UP GTI vs upsize to Golf GTI

Post by SRGTD »

No experience of either up! or Golf GTI’s. However, if as per one of your other posts in another discussion thread you’re only driving short journeys and travelling circa 2.5k miles per year, if you don’t need a larger car and would be happy to downsize, then IMO an up! GTI is certainly worth considering. The up! is more of a ‘no frills’ car - e.g. exposed painted metal in the cabin - and you’d lose some of the equipment you currently have in the Polo GTI and probably some of the tech (I’m not familiar with the spec of the up! GTI but assuming this would be the case), but on a car used primarily for short, local journeys does that really matter?

The software in the mk8 Golf GTI is currently far from perfect and owners are experiencing a number of software ‘gremlins’; there’s currently a 45 page (and growing) discussion thread on the Golf R forum on mk8 Golf software gremlins. Currently, VW don’t have fixes for some of these issues, so that is something you might want to bear in mind when considering your replacement car. I’ve also remember reading on other forums of lead times for a Golf GTI factory order ranging from 26 weeks to considerably longer in some cases. I don’t know what the lead times are like for the up! GTI but it will be affected by the semiconductor shortages issue so might be worth having a look on the up! owners club forum as it’s likely to have been discussed.
TGGTI
New

Post by TGGTI »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:55 pm No experience of either up! or Golf GTI’s. However, if as per one of your other posts in another discussion thread you’re only driving short journeys and travelling circa 2.5k miles per year, if you don’t need a larger car and would be happy to downsize, then IMO an up! GTI is certainly worth considering. The up! is more of a ‘no frills’ car - e.g. exposed painted metal in the cabin - and you’d lose some of the equipment you currently have in the Polo GTI and probably some of the tech (I’m not familiar with the spec of the up! GTI but assuming this would be the case), but on a car used primarily for short, local journeys does that really matter?

The software in the mk8 Golf GTI is currently far from perfect and owners are experiencing a number of software ‘gremlins’; there’s currently a 45 page (and growing) discussion thread on the Golf R forum on mk8 Golf software gremlins. Currently, VW don’t have fixes for some of these issues, so that is something you might want to bear in mind when considering your replacement car. I’ve also remember reading on other forums of lead times for a Golf GTI factory order ranging from 26 weeks to considerably longer in some cases. I don’t know what the lead times are like for the up! GTI but it will be affected by the semiconductor shortages issue so might be worth having a look on the up! owners club forum as it’s likely to have been discussed.

Once again, great feedback SRGTD, many thanks.

My miniscule mileage is primarily down to to working from home for 18 months. Once this ends I'm expecting a more realistic 7-8k per year.

No kids, so don't need a larger car - so considering everything...... Perhaps another Polo GTI seems to cover all areas!

I always prefer to change models and not move into the same again. But nothing out there really appeals.

BTW Electric is not an option as I live in an apartment.
TGGTI
New

Post by TGGTI »

BTW Thanks for the heads up on the Golf. To be honest I'm not a great fan of the new design. I enjoy the sharper look of the Polo and more exclusivity in GTI format
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

TGGTI wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:02 pm GTI+ lease ends next year.

To replace I'm looking to buy rather than lease again (see my other thread). Especially for this type of car.

So The question is in the title :?:

Anyone had experience of switching to the UP GTI or Golf GTI and how it compares?

Would value any experience, thanks!
Have you considered an i20N. If the i20N was available back when I was ordering my Polo, I would have gone for the i20N. Around the same power, sounds fenominal, manual, and has great kit standard. Just another option to add into the mix.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:15 pm Have you considered an i20N. If the i20N was available back when I was ordering my Polo, I would have gone for the i20N. Around the same power, sounds fenominal, manual, and has great kit standard. Just another option to add into the mix.
That looks a interesting little car; I’d certainly consider one. I really like the exclusive (to the ‘N’ models) Performance Blue colour. With that large front grille, the front profile makes me think of the Audi A1;

Hyundai;
3DF88605-9E0C-4C6B-B8BF-359CA2C0D299.jpeg
3DF88605-9E0C-4C6B-B8BF-359CA2C0D299.jpeg (27.28 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
Audi;
2603A620-7D32-4C2D-AE73-1CFA4B4CCB43.jpeg
2603A620-7D32-4C2D-AE73-1CFA4B4CCB43.jpeg (19.41 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

First question would be, do you like your current car and if not, why? I loved my polo gti plus but it was too small. I knew this when I bought it but family circumstances meant it had to go sooner than intended. If size is the issue I suspect you’d have the same problem with the i20N, although it looks a cracking car. If the size is right then why not consider getting a gti+, fiesta st or i20N?

If size is the issue and my choice was between golf gti and up gti (I’ve driven the 7.5 golf gti and the up) I’d take the golf. The up is fun but only has 115ps and is not comfy on longer journeys. It’s a city car. It loves a twisty road but it’s not that fast in reality.

The golf gti is an amazing all rounder - it’s not the fastest but it’s very comfy for long journeys and just goes about it’s job. Slap it in sport and you can still have a decent amount of fun. Comes with a decent level of kit and residuals are always good on the golf gti. Only reason I’ve never bought one is outright cost is more than I’m willing to pay, but I’ve had periods of months in both the 7 and 7.5 when I had issues with my blue gt and my gtd had to stay in for a couple of weeks. As SRGTD said, the current golf has issues so you could consider a 7.5 gti as that was an awesome car.

Have you considered the i30N? I’ve test driven one and it’s a cracking car. More fun to drive than the golf gti but the rides a bit firmer. You do save several thousand pounds over the golf gti.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I was seriously considering the UP GTi when getting rid of my Polo GTi.
I too am a low mileage driver, mostly only myself in the car.
If the dealer had been more pro-active in assisting me I might even be in one, but their delay just made me realise I wanted back into an electric car.
I was fed up of the NVH of the Polo, and an UP wouldn't have improved on that. :?
As for performance, even a humdrum electric car will blow an UP GTi into the weeds, whilst also being cheaper to run.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:40 am I was seriously considering the UP GTi when getting rid of my Polo GTi.
I too am a low mileage driver, mostly only myself in the car.
If the dealer had been more pro-active in assisting me I might even be in one, but their delay just made me realise I wanted back into an electric car.
I was fed up of the NVH of the Polo, and an UP wouldn't have improved on that. :?
As for performance, even a humdrum electric car will blow an UP GTi into the weeds, whilst also being cheaper to run.
The OP has said in an earlier post in this discussion thread that EV isn’t an option as they live in an apartment, so charging would be an issue.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:16 am

The OP has said in an earlier post in this discussion thread that EV isn’t an option as they live in an apartment, so charging would be an issue.
Bummer

TBH if he's looking at the UP GTi, he should also look at the Kia Picanto GT-Line Turbo.
Definitely feels more modern than the UP inside, the centre control panel of the UP is at least 8 years out of date.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

The UP GTI isn't worthy of the badge, should've had at least 150ps. The Lupo GTI from 20 years ago had 140ps.

The Up feels faster than it is because you feel like you're in danger of tipping it over if you fling it around. Apart from the seats and steering wheel, there's nothing GTI about it. Just like the jokey 115ps 2.0 "GTI" available for the MK4 Golf (along with the proper 1.8 unit).
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:03 am The UP GTI isn't worthy of the badge, should've had at least 150ps. The Lupo GTI from 20 years ago had 140ps.

The Up feels faster than it is because you feel like you're in danger of tipping it over if you fling it around. Apart from the seats and steering wheel, there's nothing GTI about it. Just like the jokey 115ps 2.0 "GTI" available for the MK4 Golf (along with the proper 1.8 unit).
Flip side, it's got more power than the original Golf GTi.
And even though it weights more, it's got a whack more torque too.
Just shows you how spoiled we've become that these sorts of figures are considered naff.
I bet a well driven UP GTi wouldn't struggle to keep up with a Polo GTi around some of the roads near me.
Anyone can have 'more skill' on a straight. :roll:
It's the same sort of argument that goes on in motorbike world, usually from owners of 1000cc bikes etc.
What's better, having a lot of power that you can only use on an occasional basis, or less power that you can actually ring the throttle to the stop for?
There's a lot to be said for the latter, less absolutely is sometimes more fun.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:27 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:03 am The UP GTI isn't worthy of the badge, should've had at least 150ps. The Lupo GTI from 20 years ago had 140ps.

Flip side, it's got more power than the original Golf GTi.
And even though it weights more, it's got a whack more torque too.
Just shows you how spoiled we've become that these sorts of figures are considered naff.
I bet a well driven UP GTi wouldn't struggle to keep up with a Polo GTi around some of the roads near me.
Anyone can have 'more skill' on a straight. :roll:
It's the same sort of argument that goes on in motorbike world, usually from owners of 1000cc bikes etc.
What's better, having a lot of power that you can only use on an occasional basis, or less power that you can actually ring the throttle to the stop for?
There's a lot to be said for the latter, less absolutely is sometimes more fun.
Very short wheelbase on a relatively tall car (relative to its length) and a high centre of gravity isn't really conducive to great handling. The Lupo was much lighter (Aluminium doors and bonnet), had great Brembo brakes and a great suspension set up. The UP has none of that. The Lupo was built to a spec, not a price. Great car.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:33 pm Very short wheelbase on a relatively tall car (relative to its length) and a high centre of gravity isn't really conducive to great handling. The Lupo was much lighter (Aluminium doors and bonnet), had great Brembo brakes and a great suspension set up. The UP has none of that. The Lupo was built to a spec, not a price. Great car.
The handling on our daughter's Seat Mii was perfectly fine, and that was a standard set up.
I didn't see anything in the handling of that to give me any concerns.
You're maybe just used to the boat-size stability of bigger cars, small cars really don't bother me at all.
Truth be told I prefer them, if only the Honda-E was cheaper.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

This Youtube review by Autogefuhl should help as each car is compared throughly, back to back:
https://youtu.be/rMQiV6Lx4kQ