6r 5 door petrol boot won't open

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Congoey
New
Drives: 6r

6r 5 door petrol boot won't open

Post by Congoey »

Hello,
I've been having boot issues for a while now, it used to work fine but it's slowly got less reliable and now it doesn't work at all.
I have tried replacing the latch, tried replacing the badge/handle and I've pulled the rubber away where the boot hinges and can't see any broken wires. I've also tested all of the fuses in the dash and checked diagrams but can't find anything that goes back to the tailgate lock.
The only way to currently open it is with the manual latch on the inside. It seems like there's no power going to it as there are no noises or anything if you press the keyfob or pull the handle.
I've searched all over and can't find any information on this problem so if anyone has had this issue or something similar and resolved it then please let me know.
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Re: 6r 5 door petrol boot won't open

Post by ciclo »

Hello, some time ago there were some reports with the same problem that were fixed by changing the rear lid handle release button (E234 - Emblem).

Better image quality in case you want to download.
Congoey
New

Post by Congoey »

Hi thanks for responding, would this have not been replaced when I changed the whole handle? Or is it a separate thing?
Congoey
New

Post by Congoey »

I've tried swapping out the whole latch mechanism as well as the whole handle.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210908-204622.jpg
Screenshot_20210908-204622.jpg (97.22 KiB) Viewed 4973 times
Screenshot_20210908-204550.jpg
Screenshot_20210908-204550.jpg (229.63 KiB) Viewed 4973 times
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Yes, the switch is part of the emblem-set.

I suppose that with a multimeter and the diagram you can check the continuity of the wires.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Does the boot light illuminate and does the third brake light work?
Congoey
New

Post by Congoey »

iichel wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:55 pm Does the boot light illuminate and does the third brake light work?
I believe both are still working.
ciclo wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:51 pm Yes, the switch is part of the emblem-set.

I suppose that with a multimeter and the diagram you can check the continuity of the wires.
Yeah that's true I guess but it's sort of getting to the limitations on what I know how to do.. I do have a multimeter and YouTube though!
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

If the boot light works, the switches on F256 lock "supposedly" work, first focus your attention on the violet/white wire running from E234 handle to BCM T73a/23 -> black connector, and Earth brown wires.

Do you have any diagnostic tools? VCDS?
Have you made any changes to the BCM coding?
Congoey wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:03 pm .. I do have a multimeter and YouTube though!
...it takes a short time to take a look and is the ideal time to remember or learn about the operation of the multimeter... very easy :wink:
Congoey
New

Post by Congoey »

ciclo wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:28 pm If the boot light works, the switches on F256 lock "supposedly" work, first focus your attention on the violet/white wire running from E234 handle to BCM T73a/23 -> black connector, and Earth brown wires.

Do you have any diagnostic tools? VCDS?
Have you made any changes to the BCM coding?
Congoey wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:03 pm .. I do have a multimeter and YouTube though!
...it takes a short time to take a look and is the ideal time to remember or learn about the operation of the multimeter... very easy :wink:
I've used a Carista on it maybe a year ago and changed it so the car auto locks when you start driving rather that manually pressing the button on the door. Do you think that could have anything to do with it? This wasn't an issue up until recently whereas that feature has been on the car for quite a while.

Sorry I should have mentioned that I did also run a scan on it and had this fault come up but I couldn't find any information on it as it's just a generic obd scanner and not vcds.
Screenshot_20210908-213842.jpg
Screenshot_20210908-213842.jpg (452.27 KiB) Viewed 4950 times
I did also unscrew the ground on the boot and clean it a little to make sure it had good contact.
The fault code was a little confusing and didn't get me anywhere.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

The reason I was asking about the boot light and brake lights were also to check for proper ground connection.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Carista detects the fault, ... enough to know that the BCM is doing its job. There is no problem with the coding you did.
You have done almost everything that needs to be done to solve the problem, it remains to verify that the coupling points (T5k, T5h, T5i, T5j) are well fixed.

Check them...

If you do not find anything new in the coupling points, turn off all the electrical consumers (lights, radio, A/C, etc.), disconnect the battery ground for 5 sec and reconnect it.

...additionally, and due to the battery disconnection, you must set the comfort function of the windows (owner's manual).

---
We would be unlucky if the parts you changed were also broken.