Press clutch to start. Is it possible to disable? (1.8tsi crankwalk)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Press clutch to start. Is it possible to disable? (1.8tsi crankwalk)

Post by Bepis »

Recently I've been looking at modifications that can be done to the 1.8 tsi and have come across the crankwalk issue that can be caused by the thrust bearing failing causing potential catastrophic engine failure mainly with vehicles that have a 1.8 or 2.0 TSI with a 6MT.

The issue seems to stem from the fact that due to the clutch needing to be depressed fully to start the vehicle, the thrust bearing sees a lot of pressure at a time where there is most likely very little oil in the crankshaft bearings which can accelerate wear. Then this problem is made worse when a performance clutch is fitted with an uprated pressure plate applying even more force to the thrust bearing accelerating wear further.

At the moment I'm not looking to do any sort of mods to the engine but I may in the future. I would just like to prolong the life of the car as much as possible.

I haven't been able to find a solution for MQB platform vehicles so, for now, I have just been releasing the clutch pedal as soon as I start my car to hopefully mitigate the issue as much as possible.

My questions are:
Is this that big of an issue or is it just people that are pushing the limits of the engine?
Would it even be possible to bypass or disable the press clutch to start without interfering with systems like cruise control and stop-start (although 99% of the time I make sure it's off)?
Has anyone encountered this issue on the 6C Polo?
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Re: Press clutch to start. Is it possible to disable? (1.8tsi crankwalk)

Post by Dink »

the issue mainly arises when using an uprated clutch pressure plate as it puts more pressure on the thrust bearings (vw have put the bare minimum in on the ea888 compared to older engines)

you can machine the bottom end to fit the older style bearings off the 1.8t to help a lot.

i'm on a the polo gti facebook group and there has been maybe 3 cars failed with crank walk.

it can be programmed out but not sure if you can just have it done or it will only be done with a remap.

i'm running a sachs organic clutch and single mass flywheel and i'm not too worried tbh but i'm going to get a forged engine built next year.
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

Dink wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:51 pm i'm on a the polo gti facebook group and there has been maybe 3 cars failed with crank walk.
Do you know if these were running an uprated clutch or not?
Dink wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:51 pm it can be programmed out but not sure if you can just have it done or it will only be done with a remap.
If it is done with a remap I'm guessing it wouldn't interfere with any of the systems mentioned as it's "coded out" in a sense?
Dink wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:51 pm i'm running a sachs organic clutch and single mass flywheel and i'm not too worried tbh
How was the driveability affected going to a single mass? I'm guessing this was done due to having 350+hp :D.
Dink wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:51 pm but i'm going to get a forged engine built next year.
I would definitely be interested in seeing where this goes :shock: .
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

Bepis wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:04 pm Do you know if these were running an uprated clutch or not?
1 i know was running the sachs organic uprated clutch not sure on the others
Bepis wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:04 pm If it is done with a remap I'm guessing it wouldn't interfere with any of the systems mentioned as it's "coded out" in a sense?

i would of thought it wouldn't affect any thing but never enquired about it from the company that mentioned being able to do it.
Bepis wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:04 pm How was the driveability affected going to a single mass? I'm guessing this was done due to having 350+hp :D.
yeah it's a little noisey but it's also exaggerated by the stiffer engine mounts
Bepis wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:04 pm I would definitely be interested in seeing where this goes :shock: .
Got a TTE 555 turbo waiting to go on but getting the gearbox sorted first (SQS sequntial lol)