Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Post by SRGTD »

Scottydoo45 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:48 pm Ordered mine in November, emailed the dealer today to ask when I may see it expecting bad news. Last polo i ordered never arrived and I got an up gti instead...but its on route to the dealership already, its a miracle! Now to prepare myself for the extra costs of fuel haha
A November order with a March / April delivery would be pretty good in ‘normal’ times, bearing in mind 6-8 weeks of the lead time would be for transit of the completed car from the Uitenhage factory in South Africa to the UK dealer.

I think the ‘miracle’ might be your dealer was able to do an allocation grab - a car that was already ordered and in the system which was either a cancelled customer order or a car the dealership had ordered for themselves - and get the spec changed to fit your requirements before the car locked in to a specific build week.

However the ‘miracle’ happened, not long to wait.
sirwolfie
New
Drives: A45

Post by sirwolfie »

Scottydoo45 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:48 pm Ordered mine in November, emailed the dealer today to ask when I may see it expecting bad news. Last polo i ordered never arrived and I got an up gti instead...but its on route to the dealership already, its a miracle! Now to prepare myself for the extra costs of fuel haha
That is great news👍 The additional petrol costs will definitely be outweighed with the massive smile on your face 😀🚗.
es_paradis
New
Drives: 2023 GTI Pure White

Post by es_paradis »

Hi, new guy to this forum - joined to discuss the woes of waiting for a new car :mrgreen:

Ordered my 2022 GTI in Pure White, with options:
- Beats speakers upgrade
- Dash inserts in Kings Red
- Keyless Entry / Start up
- Sport Select suspension (Adaptive dampers)

Stuck to 17" rims as the roads in my country (Croatia) are dreadful - also the reason I went for the adaptive damping.

My previous car was a MINI Cooper S which I loved to bits... when it was working. A proper hooligan when you're in the mood but also tiresome when you're not.

Made a deposit on Friday, the car should be here in 270 days (8 months). Has anyone recieved theirs yet?
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

My apologies for the repeat, it was as I copied it from the VW website.
dash09
New
Drives: 2021 AW GTI

Post by dash09 »

So I've been feeling that I should have waited for the facelift model instead of buying last August, but it turns out here in South Africa our facelift is nerfed. Same 147kw and 6 speed. Its essentially the exact same car underneath as pre facelift, minus the crappy capacitive cabin controls.
I mean the 152kw 7 speed models are built here and shipped straight out
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

dash09 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:54 am So I've been feeling that I should have waited for the facelift model instead of buying last August, but it turns out here in South Africa our facelift is nerfed. Same 147kw and 6 speed. Its essentially the exact same car underneath as pre facelift, minus the crappy capacitive cabin controls.
I mean the 152kw 7 speed models are built here and shipped straight out
Even with the small engine bhp / kw increase and the seven speed DSG, the facelift doesn’t tempt me to want to change my pre-facelift GTI+ for the facelift model. In everyday driving, you probably wouldn’t notice the small power uplift, and the extra gear in the DSG transmission is most likely to benefit fuel consumption, CO2 emissions and noise levels at cruising speeds, rather than enhance the car’s performance.

There’s not much I prefer on the facelift model compared to my car; I do like the new IQ LED matrix headlamps and the new design rear light clusters, but that’s about it.

Things I don’t particularly like on the facelift car compared to mine;
  • the illuminated light strip along the bottom of the grille - a bit tacky and not very VW-like IMHO. Not as extreme, but the Polo’s illuminated light strip reminds me of the illuminated front grille on the 1980’s Mercury Sable (American car) and IMO that really was tacky;
    87F44B7A-4D35-4FC9-9EA3-647A349FCAC9.jpeg
    87F44B7A-4D35-4FC9-9EA3-647A349FCAC9.jpeg (24.41 KiB) Viewed 1899 times
  • VW’s modern interpretation of tartan used used for the seat fabric in the facelift model; I prefer the traditional GTI tartan seats in my car.
  • the new style steering wheel with capacitive buttons rather than the ‘real’ buttons on the pre-facelift car’s steering wheel.
  • the touch panel for heating, ventilation and climate control; IMHO the old style rotary controls we got on pre-facelift cars for manual air con in the UK are much easier - and safer - to use on the move.
I’ll be keeping my GTI+ for another 3-4 years and then consider changing it. I’d expect there’ll be a few interesting electric options around then in the small car segment, and battery technology should also be more advanced (cheaper, increased range, quicker charging times etc), making EV ownership a more viable option, provided there’s sufficient investment in the development and rollout of the charging infrastructure.
steeve
Bronze Member

Post by steeve »

Don't forget that cars registered in the UK from September this year will have the speed limiting device fitted.
This is not like current max speed setting that many cars can do. It is tied into GPS and will limit your vehicle to the speed limit you will be in. Initially it will be possible to override this a bit like a kick-down with a heavier feeling accelerator pedal. There will be the ability to record every time you override the limit with the possibility to transfer that data to the Police or indeed your insurance company. Whilst this is not planned at this time it is feasible.

This is one major reason why we've decide to replace our GTi before September.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content/ne ... -from-2022
https://www.confused.com/car-insurance/ ... n-new-cars
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/drivin ... verridden/
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Is the speed limiter coming in already? I’d have thought VW would’ve made mention of it if it was going on a gti - otherwise nobody will buy one!
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

The authorities are always obsessed with speed and while it can play a part in collisions I personally get annoyed by drivers with their heads down glued to the mobile phone. Put it down!
Oh and another pet hate. Why do many drivers keep you guessing on a roundabout and don't bother to signal their intended direction. Moan over.
steeve
Bronze Member

Post by steeve »

Speed limiter coming to everything, doubt any manufacturer will publish it.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

steeve wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:21 pm Speed limiter coming to everything, doubt any manufacturer will publish it.
Agree.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

Also ordered one myself in early February and told 8/9 months like most folks. Current PCP not up till early February next year, so hopefully should get it before then (fingers crossed).

White, 18in wheels, heated seats, reversing camera and spare wheel.

Coming from a Hyundai I30N. Wanted something a bit easier to live with this time round. Early I30N's were VERY firm riding cars, even compared to either of the Focus ST's that I've had preciously.

TBC .... not good at waiting, so fingers crossed it comes sooner than later ... forever hopeful :)
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

Anyone who ordered earlier than me, got a firm build date yet?
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Ordered mine the last few days of January and changed the spec of one already in the system.
Build date doing a bit of a hokey cokey, unconfirmed build of April, now its slipped as of a couple of weeks ago to May still unconfirmed. So who knows.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

johnpolo2 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:29 pm Ordered mine the last few days of January and changed the spec of one already in the system.
Build date doing a bit of a hokey cokey, unconfirmed build of April, now its slipped as of a couple of weeks ago to May still unconfirmed. So who knows.
Much better than the 60 week lead time for a Golf factory order that was mentioned on golfgtiforum.co.uk yesterday 😲.

This was also posted on mk8golf.com a few days ago;
742EFE29-ED05-4ADB-B6D0-05EF26983291.jpeg
742EFE29-ED05-4ADB-B6D0-05EF26983291.jpeg (224.47 KiB) Viewed 1374 times