Blue GT 2017 (6R) - Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
martyn_x_86
New
Drives: 2017 Polo GT Blue

Blue GT 2017 (6R) - Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement

Post by martyn_x_86 »

I've had a Blue GT 2017 (6r) for 4 years and It's come up for it's 5 year service. It has only done 22,500 Miles and had full VW services every year, but VW have said that they recommend the timing belt and water pump to be replaced every 5 years, regardless of mileage. The said this would cost an additional £790 to do as part of the service, or it can be done at a later date.

I've deferred the work until I decided what to do, but to me that seems over the top given the mileage. I'm also thinking that it would be much cheaper to do with official parts at one of a few garages that I trust locally. Not sure if that would affect it's resale value or not.

Just wondered if I could get some other (probably more informed) opinions from any of you.

Thanks in advance!
Mikeso51
Bronze Member
Drives: Blue GT. Also Audi A3 1.4tfsi.

Re: Blue GT 2017 (6R) - Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement

Post by Mikeso51 »

Martyn

There have been many threads on this topic, including one very recently, so just do a search and you will find all you need to make your own decision. I’m not going to go into all the arguments yet again, but as far as my own car (similar age and mileage to yours, and covering very low annual miles) is concerned, I will be checking the belt condition every year, and in the unlikely event that there is any sign of wear or damage I will change it. Even if it is still looking pristine I will probably change it anyway in 3 or 4 years time. This is mainly so that when I come to sell it in 5 or 6 years time with maybe 45k miles on the clock I can say it has had a recent cambelt change! Same goes for my similar age Audi A3 with the same engine and even lower mileage.

Just one observation. The water pump on the EA211 engine in your car is not driven off the cam belt. It’s driven by its own long life belt off the other end of the camshaft. So the usual arguments for changing it when the cam belt is changed are not valid.

HTH
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Blue GT 2017 would be a 6C not a 6R although, just to cause confusion some of the serial numbers will mention 6R.

Proof that Germans do have a sense of humour!
martyn_x_86
New
Drives: 2017 Polo GT Blue

Post by martyn_x_86 »

Mikeso51 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:30 pm Martyn

There have been many threads on this topic, including one very recently, so just do a search and you will find all you need to make your own decision. I’m not going to go into all the arguments yet again, but as far as my own car (similar age and mileage to yours, and covering very low annual miles) is concerned, I will be checking the belt condition every year, and in the unlikely event that there is any sign of wear or damage I will change it. Even if it is still looking pristine I will probably change it anyway in 3 or 4 years time. This is mainly so that when I come to sell it in 5 or 6 years time with maybe 45k miles on the clock I can say it has had a recent cambelt change! Same goes for my similar age Audi A3 with the same engine and even lower mileage.

Just one observation. The water pump on the EA211 engine in your car is not driven off the cam belt. It’s driven by its own long life belt off the other end of the camshaft. So the usual arguments for changing it when the cam belt is changed are not valid.

HTH
Thank you for your reply Mikeso51, I didn't see your reply here: viewtopic.php?p=581795&hilit=Timing+belt#p581795 on another thread until I searched a little harder, but what you say there, as well as here, is very helpful regarding the Cambelt / Timing Belt / Water Pump, so it is much appreciated. Interesting about VAG's advice in the UK compared to the most of the rest of their territories about timing belt only having a mileage specific lifespan

I think in this case, I will ask them to have a look at the belt conditions when they do the major service, but depending on what sort of answer I get (and whether I trust them), I'll either go to an independent garage to have the work done or wait until it's next service. (which won't be a VW Dealership as these guys have not been particularly helpful over the years)