02U Quaife differential?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

02U Quaife differential?

Post by 2226 »

Just doing the normal VW part numbers game instead of actually getting some work done...

Would the 02U 6-speed in the Polo take a Quaife QDF22R LSD?
Kinda seems to all line up with the O2U/O2T from the Lupo GTI and the earlier Polo GTI models.
CV Flanges (therefore splines) seem to be the same, same taper bearings, part numbers on the O2U PPA differential used in other O2T and the Lupo O2U differential used in Polo O2T as well.

Of course these are VW part numbers where it's quite likely a single-letter suffix change could mean a 99% difference in the actual part. :D

Not that I'd be able to afford such a thing, but it is interesting. I have many more things I'd rather do with 1000+ GBP.

I suppose I should get back to work instead.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Re: 02U Quaife differential?

Post by amer6R »

Id would look into https://racingdiffs.com/ many people say their lsd solution is much better than quaife ( and cheaper)
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Thanks for that. Very interesting. I see they have a kit for the 02A at a fraction of the Quaife cost. Will have to check how different those are compared to 02T/02U.

To be honest, I do like the weird engineering of the Torsen style diffs. I actually have one from a Audi V8 D11 rear axle which was intended for another Audi application, but I've since junked the car. I'm keeping the Torsen just to gawk at from time to time. :D

Never sure about maintenance of things like friction-plate based LSDs.
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

They also offer life time warranty on friction style diffs. ( Meaning if you manage to wear them off you contact them, send pictures and they will send you replacement for free)
Torsen are non adjustable, and these are adjustable.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

amer6R wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:22 am Id would look into https://racingdiffs.com/ many people say their lsd solution is much better than quaife ( and cheaper)
i can't see any diffs on that side apart from a bmw one which is a lot more than a quaife.

also the lifetime warranty doesn't cover the cost of stripping the box down completely to rebuild the diff
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

They are under PROGRESSIVE LSD CONVERSION SETS

That bmw diff is completely adjustable, quaife is not
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

amer6R wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:43 pm They are under PROGRESSIVE LSD CONVERSION SETS

That bmw diff is completely adjustable, quaife is not
ahh so not an actual diff just a big shim that can only be used on diffs that allow access.

yeah i know that the clutch type diffs have adjustable (and quaifes don't ) but it really isn't needed in a polo
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

Quiafe is torsen style lsd, this is not. If you ask me you cant beat it for <200 EUR and you have an LSD.
I'm pretty sure if you need more than 25% that they can adjust it.

This company started after the guy bought a quaife diff for his mr2 and was dissapointed that he still couldn't drift 😂
Anyway after learing how it works ( he was living the locking differential life ) he decided to produce his own.

Pretty much yes, if there is no access it wont work 👍
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

amer6R wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:12 pm Quiafe is torsen style lsd, this is not. If you ask me you cant beat it for <200 EUR and you have an LSD.
I'm pretty sure if you need more than 25% that they can adjust it.

This company started after the guy bought a quaife diff for his mr2 and was dissapointed that he still couldn't drift 😂
Anyway after learing how it works ( he was living the locking differential life ) he decided to produce his own.
i have a quaife fitted to my polo so i do know how they work lol

but if you don't have the opening in the diff then it's not really an option (probably why it only lists the 02A box)
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

The RacingDiff does look real good for the price. I doubt one would need more than 25% lock for street use, and it functions like an open diff for regular low speed driving/steering.

Just can't find much feedback on it used in a FWD setup. A number of BMW tests/reviews out there and it seems to function as advertised, but not necessarily as expected (people wishing to get a full plate-style differential).

Just not sure on the longevity off the 2 plates in the kit. Then again, those would only be worn on when needed. Having to do plate replacements yearly would add up as it's not as easy a job in FWD compared to just opening up a RWD setup.

Looking at the Wavetrac as well. Very interesting. They "solve" the issue of the torsen/helical diffs, but quite a few hundred more.

Pipe dreams. Fun stuff. I reckon I can get any of these onto my Christmas wishlist. December 2035 is looking good. My wife should be able to siphon off enough of my income by then to surprise me. :D