Normal mode a big 'sluggish'

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Normal mode a big 'sluggish'

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:24 am As someone that works for a company that makes fuel additives, I use regular Ron 95 and stick a tank of premium fuel in every 3-4 tanks. Just helps to clean the injectors out a bit.

And SRGTD the answer is always cloth - isn’t cold in winter, doesn’t burn my head in summer and is more durable!
Ha ha, cloth seats is the correct answer! 🤣.

I’ve never had a car with leather seats and I can’t say I fell I’ve missed out on anything - other than hot sticky butt-burning seats in the summer months, that initial shock of cold seats in the winter before the seat heating kicks in, and that creased, sagging look from the leather over time.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

lancslad1985 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:24 am As someone that works for a company that makes fuel additives, I use regular Ron 95 and stick a tank of premium fuel in every 3-4 tanks. Just helps to clean the injectors out a bit.

And SRGTD the answer is always cloth - isn’t cold in winter, doesn’t burn my head in summer and is more durable!
@SRGTD & @Lancslad1985 thanks for coming back on the Fuel issue....I think I might revise my fuel buying strategy based on your replies now. 3+1 policy. Thanks

As for that question, I chose the microfibre seat covering option in the RS3,as I wasn't sure about leather. I think it was the right decision
But the Mk8 Golf R has heated and ventilated leather seats pity about the touchscreen and huge cost of car :lol: My mate had ventilated seats on his Lexus RCF and they really did work well.
AnnieGTI
New
Drives: GTI 2022

Post by AnnieGTI »

Thanks chaps. I think that I will do the same regarding the fuel.

I prefer fabric to leather. I just had red leather massage seats in the s4 but i found the massage function too hard so didn't use it :D What a waste :roll:
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Back on the subject of sluggishness and something for first time owners of GPF-equipped GTI’s - be aware that you are likely to experience forced GPF regenerations from time to time. The frequency of these will depend on the types of journey you typically drive. If you drive mainly or frequent short journeys where the engine doesn’t have an opportunity to get up to normal operating temperature, then there’s an increased likelihood of more frequent regenerations.

Some or all of the symptoms that might be experienced when the GPF goes through a forced regeneration process are;
- a slight lumpiness, hesitancy / sluggishness of the engine
- a ‘hot’ smell (not sure if you can smell heat 🤣)
- a louder, deeper exhaust note
- increased fuel consumption during the regen process (mpg for the journey dropped to low 20’s)
- stop start function will be deactivated
- can’t remember for certain, but the engine fan may also run

In just over two years and approx 9,000 miles of ownership of my GPF-equipped car, I’ve had one definite GPF forced regeneration when the first four of the above symptoms were certainly present; not sure about start stop as I always deactivate this on start-up, and not sure if the engine fan was running. Overall, the regen process lasted about a half an hour. On a couple of other instances I think I was aware of the GPF going though a passive regeneration as the exhaust note was deeper / louder and there was a hot smell; none of the other symptoms were present.

It’s a bit of a tenuous link to the subject of sluggishness, but I thought it was worth mentioning here as some owners experiencing a forced GPF regeneration for the first time have thought there’s something wrong with their cars.

There’s a discussion thread on GPF regenerations at the link below;

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?t=73177
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Thanks @SRGTD

Good reminder, I am up to 1300miles now and I do remember reading you and everyone else's experience with this. It did worry me and put me off slightly. I am hoping driving wise I do enough distance to mean the car won't need to do any forced regens.

Although I was driving the other week and I thought is that smell outside or my car...It never crossed my mind about this subject, so thanks for putting it back in my mind to think about down the line.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

@andygti GPFs don’t clear on just distance like a dpf. They go off hot air passing through. Can’t remember who, but someone on here said when it’s regenerating, get the car to 3000 rpm then let the engine break so it sucks the hot air back through the exhaust. Worked on my pre facelift gti but now it likes to coast not sure it’ll work the same.
TheRacingRat
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by TheRacingRat »

Mines on 13k and not had a regen yet to my knowledge. :roll:
AnnieGTI
New

Post by AnnieGTI »

I'm at around 800 miles now and enjoying the car more. I'm getting used to it and like AndyGTI suggested, if I need a bit more 'go', I have started popping the gearbox into sport and then back to D once i've got up a very steel hill or whenever I feel it needs a bit extra and it takes it out of 6th in D to 4th in S which is better. I think one of my mercedes used to do this, it used to move itself into 9th gear far too soon.

I will get some pics the next time I take it out :)
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

@AnnieGTI Glad you are enjoying car more and popping it into S mode makes for better drive over that short distance you need it. I think that is standalone plus point of the DSG box especially if you need a moment's notice that you will want to move faster than normal. I know other cars have their mode buttons on the steering wheel which are handy for a quick change but searching for mode button, at least I am finding is a paid, you find yourself pressing Traction Control or Start/Stop first.

I am up to nearly 1400 miles now and soon be off on a longer trip to Parents so will be interesting how it copes whizzing through roundabouts of Milton Keynes as well as the cruising.
AnnieGTI
New

Post by AnnieGTI »

I'm sure it will be fine around the roundabouts with your top tips on how to get a bit more oomph if you need it :)

I found myself getting short of fuel the other day and stopped at an esso station and filled with the E5. So it's had a treat :D

I'm sure the exhaust is sounding nicer the more miles I put on but that might be in my head (and wishful thinking ha).

I only usually insure my cars for 6k miles per year but I'm using this one more than the others so I must like it. I bought it on Sept 14th and I'm at around 900 miles now. I've had a couple of 'flashes and waves' from polo drivers too. I didn't know that was still a thing. They used to do it in the late 80's when I had a golf.