Immobiliser system replacement

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Russie
New
Drives: 9n

Immobiliser system replacement

Post by Russie »

Hi all.
If the only operational key I have stops working do I need to replace the the key and instrument cluster as a unit. I understand on the 2002 9n the immobiliser is integrated in the instrumentation cluster.
Does anyone have clarity on any other parts I'd need to replace?
Can I use a second hand set?
What coding is required? Can I use a delphi ds100 for the coding. What info would I need from the old set when looking for the set?
Any other issues I need to keep in mind would be appreciated.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Re: Immobiliser system replacement

Post by CarbonChaos »

You should only need to replace the key itself, The same as if someone lost all their keys ,just get new keys coded to the car.
Russie
New

Post by Russie »

How would one code new keys then. I understood you'd need an operational key to activate additional keys.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

Where did you get that idea ?
Russie
New

Post by Russie »

From the net as we all do hahaha. A bit of back story here.i recently bought the car with limited history. With the recent error attached I opened the cluster to find another key and connected coil pickup. The key which starts the car has a disconnected coil. I can only assume the previous owner had an issue and swopped the cluster/key or both but didn't bother swopping the ignition. Since I need a new key anyway I'd like to get key/cluster combo to get it working correctly again. Incedently how would I know that my 2002 polo has the immo incorporated in the cluster. I understand (from the net again hahaha) that vw changed over to standalone units at some point. Did I mention I'm new to vw :lol: