Highline Flip / Emblem Badge Rear Camera Retrofit

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Highline Flip / Emblem Badge Rear Camera Retrofit

Post by ad_182_uk »

Hello,

Has anyone fitted or had someone fit one of these for them?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 03563300_1

Based on alot of youtube videos this is basically the same as OEM but at a fraction of the cost... I have been quoted approx £800 to fit and code a genuine rear cam housed in the VW back badge.

Happily pay £100 for the unit then either struggle to fit myself and find someone to code or pay someone to fit and code since it will still be probably half the price...

Cheers!
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Re: Highline Flip / Emblem Badge Rear Camera Retrofit

Post by POLO Clive »

ad_182_uk wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:05 pm Based on alot of youtube videos this is basically the same as OEM but at a fraction of the cost... I have been quoted approx £800 to fit and code a genuine rear cam housed in the VW back badge.

Happily pay £100 for the unit then either struggle to fit myself and find someone to code or pay someone to fit and code since it will still be probably half the price...
Wow, they were only £255 as a factory fitted option when I got mine in 2020.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

POLO Clive wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:20 pm Wow, they were only £255 as a factory fitted option when I got mine in 2020.
The cost to retro-fit OEM equipment is always significantly higher than it is to spec the same item of equipment as a factory fit option.

On my previous car (previous generation 6c Polo GTI), the cost of the factory fit rear view camera (RVC) was only £50 if it was bought in conjunction with the cruise and park pack. As I wanted cruise control, paying an extra £50 for the RVC represented extremely good value IMHO. The downside of the RVC on the previous generation car is it’s location - just above the number plate and exposed to the elements, so the quality of the on-screen image suffers when the camera lens gets wet and / or dirty.

I’ve got the factory fit pop out camera on my AW Polo GTI+ and it’s a much better design as the lens keeps clean, so no blurry image.

Hazzydayz quote £645 plus VAT (£774 inc VAT) to supply and fit the genuine OEM RVC, so that price is probably the going rate for retro-fitting the camera.

https://www.hazzydayz.com/genuine-rever ... 9460-p.asp
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

Yer I have no idea why previous owner did not tick the £250 option and makes sense the labour cost is basically removed at point of build.

Maybe it was a stock carvat dealer so there was no choice.

Anyway, the ali express jobby as per the vids online looks literally the exact same as if bought from VW - just wondering if anyone om here had done it, or wanted some labour money to fit and code if they have more of an idea than me at how to do it ;-)