What happens at 10mph?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Gridgway
New
Drives: SE Tech 1.0 TSI 95PS DSG 5-door

What happens at 10mph?

Post by Gridgway »

In my new to me poverty spec polo (1.0 DSG), there is a noise when the car starts off and passes 10mph. That's the point at which the parking sensor turns off and the radio goes back to normal volume.

But the noise is an odd rumble, rumble donk(!) It's not very loud and distressing, but it's there and I can't imagine what it can be. I asked the VW service dept to listen and tell me what it was when they recently did the HB cables and all they would say was "there's nothing wrong". And no matter how many times I said, but what's the noise, all they could say was there isn't a problem! The car is new to me (3 weeks now) and it has done it since I picked it up.

Does anyone know what the car does at that speed that might make the noise?

Cheers
Graham
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Re: What happens at 10mph?

Post by Maarten »

When cold, I sometimes hear the exhaust rumble from 1st->2nd and 2nd ->3rd gear
Maybe that is what you hear?
arkay
New
Drives: Polo Life DSG (95 PS) in Stormy Grey

Post by arkay »

Could it be the central locking ‘auto lock’ kicking in? That roughly the speed it happens at.
Gridgway
New

Post by Gridgway »

Maarten wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:19 pm When cold, I sometimes hear the exhaust rumble from 1st->2nd and 2nd ->3rd gear
Maybe that is what you hear?
I don't think so as it's exactly at 10mph and a very repeatable noise not very exhaust rattly I think.
arkay wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:31 pm Could it be the central locking ‘auto lock’ kicking in? That roughly the speed it happens at.
Yes, that might be it, but it doesn't auto lock. I wonder if it's supposed to?
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Post by Maarten »

Auto lock can be activated in your radio under CAR and then SETTINGS ->OPEN & CLOSE
Gridgway
New

Post by Gridgway »

I'll go in and see what it's set to - thanks
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

On my Polo (DSG) when starting from cold I get a slight vibration when pulling away from stand still. (Feels like the gear is in a too high gear for the speed) Its done it from new.
Gridgway
New

Post by Gridgway »

Steve_2019 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:41 pm On my Polo (DSG) when starting from cold I get a slight vibration when pulling away from stand still. (Feels like the gear is in a too high gear for the speed) Its done it from new.
Thanks, but my noise is very specifically as you get to 10mph hot or cold! But I do get that same feels like the gear is too high when cold pulling away too!
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

I get the impression that the 3 cylinder engine is not really suited to the DSG.
Gridgway
New

Post by Gridgway »

Steve_2019 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:23 pm I get the impression that the 3 cylinder engine is not really suited to the DSG.
Yes, you could be right. Good enough for what we want it for, but not quite there somehow
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

The ABS system will be carrying out a short system test every time you start the car and move off, so the high pressure pump will get run for a short time and probably the individual brake line solenoid valves, so there will be a slight bit of activity noticed.
Gridgway
New

Post by Gridgway »

RUM4MO wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:10 am The ABS system will be carrying out a short system test every time you start the car and move off, so the high pressure pump will get run for a short time and probably the individual brake line solenoid valves, so there will be a slight bit of activity noticed.
That's interesting. Do you think that would happen at 10mph? I assume others would hear it in their polos too. I need someone under the bonnet as I drive along to hery it better!

I turned on the auto lock yesterday and the doors lock at 10mph, but that doesn't seem to be specifically related to the noise I can hear.
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Subsequent to my recent acquisition of a new 1.0 DSG R-line, I have become cognisant of an intriguing peculiarity that transpires when the vehicle is enveloped in a pervasive hush, absent of any perceptible music or air conditioning. Under such conditions, I have observed the manifestation of sundry auditory stimuli, unquestionably emanating from the gearbox. It is my understanding that the sounds you have alluded to share a resemblance with a low-pitched, grumbling noise, which I have personally encountered on occasion. I should add that this phenomenon appears to coincide with the DSG's immediate engagement, and it is often accompanied by a faint whooshing sound, which appears to originate from the vicinity of the engine bay. In addition, my perspicacious discernment has revealed an array of variegated acoustic phenomena that co-occur synchronously with the Direct-Shift Gearbox's (DSG) operation, particularly during the sequential, gear-shifting progression. Clearly, these auditory stimuli culminate in the velocity range of 0 to 10 miles per hour, intimating the plausible engagement of the second gear. It is my conjecture that any subsequent gear transitions beyond this phase are likely to elicit aural manifestations of progressively dwindling magnitude and detectability.
Gridgway
New

Post by Gridgway »

do what?