Bizzare problem with sidelights and blown fuses

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
FallFromGrace
New
Drives: 2007 9n3 1.4 automatic

Bizzare problem with sidelights and blown fuses

Post by FallFromGrace »

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

My 2007 (1400 automatic) 9N3 has developed a really weird problem with its sidelights and blowing fuses etc.

I noticed a while back that the OSR sidelight bulb wasn't working. I pulled out the rear light assembly and found that the bulb had blown and replaced it.......the sidelight still didn't work. I also noticed that the front side light on the same side didn't work.......replaced that bulb as well, to the same outcome.

Had a dig around and found one of the fuses had blown. Replaced that fuse and all the lights came on! Only problem is that if I have a fuse in for both left and right side lights, all of the rear brake lights are stuck on and one of the fuses tend to blow if I pump the brakes a few times......

If I remove one of fuses, I'm without front and rear sidelights on that side, but the brake lights work OK!

Please help! I'm at my wits end 😭

Many thanks in advance 👍
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Re: Bizzare problem with sidelights and blown fuses

Post by CarbonChaos »

1680FC5D-2DBD-442D-B464-4C410A31D707.jpeg
1680FC5D-2DBD-442D-B464-4C410A31D707.jpeg (872.36 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
There are two bulbs in each rear lamp for side lights each side

Check you have the correct bulbs in the rear light cluster ,The top bulb is a stop/tail light 21w/5w(double pins), the bottom bulb is a sidelight only 5w (single pin).
FallFromGrace
New
Drives: 2007 9n3 1.4 automatic

Re: Bizzare problem with sidelights and blown fuses

Post by FallFromGrace »

Thanks for the heads up, CC. I've changed both of those bulbs on both sides at the rear. Could I have put one in wrong, that's causing the overload, as such?

It seems really odd that pulling a fuse can cause the rear lights to revert to normal (minus one sidelight!)