Diagnose this noise?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Re: Diagnose this noise?

Post by Harrihealey02 »

I couldn’t seem to get the noise that I have heard in the past when driving slow speed to record it but I do hear the noise when I manually change gear down with the paddle shifters and I hear the gears engage. Such as changing from 5-4 and 4-3 etc. The best way to describe it is it’s similar to the sound when you quickly change into reverse gear on most cars and it makes that metallic crunch as the reverse gear engages, like that but not as loud or severe. I have the DQ200 and I think you’d have the DQ250 as you’ve got the GTI which could just have a louder sound.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

So UPDATE

now i might be going crazy but i had my wheels off today for ceramic coat and wheel arch clean…

Noticed as i was rolling one of the wheels along you could hear something inside???

I wonder if this is what i hear as i move slowly / roll to a stop? The noise of whatever is trapped between the alloy and the tyre tapping the metal hmmmm
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

ad_182_uk wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:38 pm So UPDATE

now i might be going crazy but i had my wheels off today for ceramic coat and wheel arch clean…

Noticed as i was rolling one of the wheels along you could hear something inside???

I wonder if this is what i hear as i move slowly / roll to a stop? The noise of whatever is trapped between the alloy and the tyre tapping the metal hmmmm
If the Polo had a direct TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring system), I’d say that it might be a sensor that had become detached from the valve stem inside the tyre that was causing the noise. However, the Polo’s TPMS is an indirect system that uses the car’s ABS sensors to measure differences in the rotational speed of wheels, so it doesn’t have specific TPMS sensors mounted inside the wheels. Do you know if the previous owner of your car ever had the wheels fitted to a different car with a direct TPMS?

IMG_0132.jpeg
IMG_0132.jpeg (24.82 KiB) Viewed 482 times

If the noise is definitely coming from the wheel / tyre and you can hear it when you roll it along, the next step would be to get the tyre removed to establish what it is inside the tyre that’s causing the noise.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member

Post by ad_182_uk »

Wheels have only ever been on this car.

Cant be certain they are the same noise. Would be a large coincidenece that the one wheel i have had a new tyre on due to a previous puncture, which is the one that makes a noise as you roll it along, turns out not to be linked to the original noise query.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member

Post by ad_182_uk »

Noise has gone now. Turned out i had this inside the wheel! Puncture repair sorted it out though :)

RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I have a friend that had that problem with a Fiat 127 from new - when he eventually got the tyre taken off, the tyre fitter found a long hex bit inside that tyre, no sign of puncture, so maybe in there since the wheels got their tyres fitted prior to supply to the Fiat factory!

So far, I've only had something stuck, and in my case, to the outside of a tyre when the car was only a few months old - it was half a Ford car cast iron exhaust clamp, trashed that tyre when driven 300 yards to my house!

Though I've had a few nails and screws penetrating the tread over the years.