polo gti road feedback through steering wheel?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
LEEA123
Getting There!
Drives: none

polo gti road feedback through steering wheel?

Post by LEEA123 »

Just wondering if this is expected, I have the 18-inch wheels, The steering wheel does not shake, but I can feel the road through the steering wheel on my hands slightly , Is this normal to feel some road surface feedback? Thank you
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: polo gti road feedback through steering wheel?

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve also got 18” wheels but I can’t say I’ve noticed any road feedback through the steering wheel in my pre-facelift GTI+, although having owned the car for nearly three years, if there is any I may have just got used to it.

I’ll make a conscious effort to remember to check when I next use the car, which will be later during the week.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:28 pm I’ve also got 18” wheels but I can’t say I’ve noticed any road feedback through the steering wheel in my pre-facelift GTI+, although having owned the car for nearly three years, if there is any I may have just got used to it.

I’ll make a conscious effort to remember to check when I next use the car, which will be later during the week.
So I used my car this morning and I also have a very small amount of ‘feedback’ through the steering wheel in my car. It’s very slight and I’d say no different to previous VW’s I’ve owned (most electric power assisted steering systems like those in VW’s give very little feedback).

A friend of mine used to own a previous generation 2004 Fiesta ST that I drove a few times. Now if you wanted a car to ‘tell’ you exactly what the front wheels were doing and where every slight road imperfection was, that was the car to have. Great steering feedback, and IMHO very different to the numb steering feel of most current generation cars on the roads today.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

@SRGTD the only problem was the fiesta ST was/is massively more uncomfortable than the polo gti. I don’t find mine any different to other VWs I’ve owned.
Last edited by lancslad1985 on Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:29 am @SRGTD the only problem was the fiesta ST was/is massively more uncomfortable than the polo gti. I don’t find many any different to other VWs I’ve owned.
The mk6 Fiesta ST’s ride comfort was certainly at the extreme end of the firmness scale! 🤣 That was Ford’s trade-off for fun, sure footed handling and informative steering feedback. The part leather Recaro seats in the mk6 ST were very good though.

I owned three Ford hot hatches back in the 1980’s and IMHO they were great cars in their day; at the time, Ford seemed to know what made a good (or great) hot hatch. I do still regret not having owned a mk1 Golf GTI though ☹️.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Ford have always made good hot hatches. They always had two issues:-

1. Uncomfortable ride.
2. Very easy to steal.

Even the current st is meant to be a doddle to steal. Ford never got a handle on car security.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:43 pm Ford have always made good hot hatches. They always had two issues:-

1. Uncomfortable ride.
I never had an issue with ride comfort in the Ford hot hatches I owned, although ride comfort is subjective and what’s OK for one person might not be for another. I was also much younger then; if I were to travel in one of those cars now, my considerably older and less flexible body might tell me it’s less comfortable than I remember it being back in the day 🤔.
lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:43 pm
2. Very easy to steal.

Even the current st is meant to be a doddle to steal. Ford never got a handle on car security.
Yes, they do seem to be easy to steal. Lots of posts over the years on the Fiesta ST forum in the mk7 section on forum members’ cars being stolen.