Steam / smoke from front grille?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Steam / smoke from front grille?

Post by ad_182_uk »

Noticed earlier once the engine had warmed up and was sat at traffic lights what looked like steam or white smoke coming from the front grille.

Now i did wash the car late yesterday evening so could it of just been a bit of water vapour escaping?

Anyone else had this?
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: Steam / smoke from front grille?

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I sometimes see it when in bumper to bumper traffic while raining. The bonnet gets very hot around the turbo area, totally normal imho.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve not had it happen to me.

If it was odourless then it most likely was steam and not unusual if you’d been washing your car late yesterday (it could’ve been residual washing or rinsing water evaporating that had settled in the general area of the radiator).

It’d be worth keeping an eye on it to see if it happens again. If it does, try and do a sniff test at the time (if it’s convenient to do so - i.e. if you’re not stuck in traffic and can safely pull over) to ensure;
  • you can’t smell oil, in which case you can probably rule out it being smoke.
  • you can’t smell coolant - if you can, that might indicate a potential cooling system leak or water pump / thermostat housing issue (check the coolant level in the expansion tank to ensure the level hasn’t dropped).
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:45 pm I sometimes see it when in bumper to bumper traffic while raining. The bonnet gets very hot around the turbo area, totally normal imho.
Yes i think i have seen it in the rain too so must be this.

Oil levels and coolant levels have barely moved in my year of ownership.

Will attempt a sniff if i see it again though lol.