VW polo 2013 not got a remote key?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
hp23
New
Drives: 2013

VW polo 2013 not got a remote key?

Post by hp23 »

I recently purchased a Vw polo and only got a manual key and now i’ve gone to timpsons to get a remote key and the guy said my car can’t have a remote key? Cars in the 90s had remotes why doesn’t my car have one ?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: VW polo 2013 not got a remote key?

Post by RUM4MO »

Might be that your Polo is a low trim model so only has door barrel operated central locking, if even that, I've not had a car without remote central locking since 2000.
hp23
New

Post by hp23 »

What is a low trim model?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Low trim and small engine tend to go hand in hand, so maybe the lowest spec at that time was "E" with the old 1.2 3 cylinder engine or later with the 1.0 MPI engine - or even some special "run out" versions to clear older "bits". Moda or a similar name rings a bell.

If you can tell us which engine and output power and the model designation of your Polo then we could answer better.
hp23
New

Post by hp23 »

It’s a 1.2L Vw Polo 2013 MK5 (6R) if that’s any use to you
i got this carista thing as well as my digital speedometer wasn’t showing up and it fixed that but also came up with some thing called VAG fault code 01179 but idk if that’s because the key guy came to program a remote key or the reason why the remote key won’t work
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

The entry level model in the Polo range back in 2013 was the Polo S.

@hp23 - If your car has black door handles, black door mirror caps, 14” steel wheels with plastic covers as opposed to 15” (or larger) alloys wheels that other Polo models got, then your car will be the entry level Polo S model. The S didn’t get remote central locking either, whereas other Polo models did.

The links below are to the the Dec 2011 and Nov 2013 Polo brochures. VW may have made small spec changes to models in the Polo range between Dec 2011 and Nov 2013 so your car may not have the exact same features as the cars in either brochure, but hopefully based on the information in the brochures you should be able to determine which model of Polo your car is.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/idhub/cont ... c-2011.pdf

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/com ... r-2013.pdf
hp23
New

Post by hp23 »

I have the Polo S your correct but i can lock the doors from the inside on the right seat does that mean there’s not remote central locking and if so how could i upgrade to be able to get a remote key? and how much would it be?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Converting to remote control of the central locking from the central locking that your car has, is possible, but I'm not sure what the cost would be, I'm sure that there are or used to be kits available to link into the existing central locking.

Edit:- that VW fault code is related to an incorrectly coded key, but I'm guessing that key was tried in the ignition switch and failed to satisfy the security requirements of that car.

If it was a fully compliant remote key and that car does not have a means to talk to a remote key, then I'd doubt in any code would be generated.
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Features supported by the BCM: :arrow: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.ph ... rol_Module

edit...
i.e, you need at least a BCM type/model:

Medium++
Part Numbers: ***-937-086-***
Supported Features (like Medium+ and additonally): Remote Control

But if I were willing to replace the BCM, without having any pretensions for upgrade the current lighting system, I would install:

High+
Part Numbers: ***-937-087-***
Supported Features (like Medium++ and additonally): Cruise Control System (CCS), Anti-Theft-System LIN-Databus (for Alarm Horn)

Because maybe, someday in the future, I would like to install the CCS or the Anti-Theft-System in addition to the Remote Control.
Activating the CCS at road speed in a 1.2L and doing miles/kilometers until the car blows up is priceless. 😊

Note:
You can have a BCM of a higher type/model than the one installed at the factory with the same equipment level your 6R currently have.
The BCM coding defines the installed equipment.

I don't know if it will be necessary to add any additional wire in the central locking system (it's not difficult) because your 6R 'S' does not have it installed from the factory (you must check it 'physically' according to the diagrams).
6R Diagrams (search Convenience system, right-hand drive):https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2nv91 ... KxQGUiXrgA

Replacing the BCM is a fairly simple procedure with VCDS.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.ph ... eplacement (read the entire page).

A NEW key with the remote control function must be cut (folding blade) and programmed (IMMO) by your VW dealer (VW servers) or by specialized stores/people with the appropriate tools.
The BCM must be programmed to match the remote controls, as indicated in the replacement procedure with VCDS (link above).
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I was considering that @hp23 was asking about being able to buy an aftermarket kit to allow a central locking car to become a remote central locking car - and not doing what you or I might want to do, ie change to remote central locking by retro fitting VW Group parts to end up like it might have come out of the factory with that option specified.
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Yes, sure, that's what I also thought, in any case my post is written here in case anyone considers doing it in an OEM way.

In my humble opinion, if you know how to look for the parts (scrapyard - bcm 087 second-hand), with good contacts (to program IMMO - new keys), and with the right tools (vcds - easy bcm replacement - remotes matching) in the OEM way is a good option (possible future problems, diagnosis, car sale, etc).
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Oh yes, I agree, but many people having a 10 year old car only want to get that function as cheaply and easily as possible when, as in this case, it sounds like the OP is not really a "car person", just the way things can be,