Tyre advice

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
PoloGTInoob
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Tyre advice

Post by PoloGTInoob »

Hi guys

Ive got a Polo GTI+ 2020 which has Turanza's on. Apparently they arent the best tyres. I also think the tracking is possibly slightly off.

Can you recommened good tyres (all weather as its nearly the winter here in the UK), and also which car tyre places to use and which to avoid - for example, is it a bad idea to get tracking done at Kwik Fit? Should i go to VW?

Cheers
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Re: Tyre advice

Post by lancslad1985 »

Tyre places are very much a check reviews job. My nearest Kwik fit is excellent. The one near work is awful. That’s because most tyre places are franchises and owned by the manager of that store.

I certainly wouldn’t use Vw for tyres. Last time they quoted me it was double what Kwik fit charged.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@PoloGTInoob; Sorry, can’t recommend specific brands enough of all weather / all season tyres as I’ve never bought them. I have Michelin PS4 (summer tyres) on my GTI+ and they’ve been good IMHO; much better than the factory Bridgestones that were fitted by VW in the factory.

Wherever you go for your tyres, if you’ve still got the factory fitted diamond cut alloys on your car, I’d recommend you agree the condition of your wheels with the manager of the tyre fitting place before they start work as diamond cut alloys seem to be quite susceptible to damage by tyre fitters. Ideally, ensure your wheels are clean when you take your car in as it makes it easier for them to be inspected and it also gives the impression they’re well cared for. After the new tyres have been fitted and before leaving the tyre fitters, check your wheels over carefully for damage; quite a few stories on various forums of tyre places damaging diamond cut alloys when they remove the old and fit the new tyres and the tyre fitters then denying having caused the damage, leaving the car owner with the inconvenience and cost of getting their wheels refurbished, and that’s hassle and expense you can do without!
Mike_
New
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Mike_ »

If you are feeling adventurous and want to save some money Camskill tyres are doing the Michelin cashback offer at the moment on 2 or 4 tyres. You have to get them fitted yourself though which can involve a bit of legwork to find somewhere that will fit tyres that they haven't sold you.

I think tyres are subjective and they have improved a lot in recent years but I've not heard anyone (or at least very many) complain about Michelin tyres, either the PS4 or PS5. I wouldn't recommended the 4S if you drive every day as it does have a bit of a noticeable drop off in colder temps.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

Michelin ps4/5 or goodyear asymetric 6

Go to a leverless equipped tyre place, inalso wanted somewhere with black weights.

Find somewhere that deals with alloys/tyres bespokely and they will take much more care.
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

Although I'm on the 6C, tyre sizes, weight, power etc are fairly similar so thought I'd throw my experience in with the tyres I've used so far. It being my only car it sees the commute, long trips, motorway stints and a kicking on a back road.

Michelin PS4 was a great tyre until it had only 2mm of tread where even just a damp road had the front washing wide. But at that point you're already considering getting them replaced. So I can't imagine the PS5 would be worse than the PS4. Got just over 20k miles on the PS4s. As mentioned up until 2mm of tread, great performance wet or dry and a fairly comfortable tyre. On these the car would understeer if pushed too far. I did get worse MPG compared to the mishmash of OE Bridgestone's and budgets the car had when I got it but the Michelin's gave an improvement in basically every area of a tyre.

Currently on Goodyear Asym 6, it feels like a sportier tyre than the PS4. Quicker turn-in with a little more feel, but slightly harsher bumps. One thing I'm noticing now around 4mm of tread some of the water channels are disappearing. Particularly between the shoulder and centre. Had one incident of aquaplaning so far through a bend on a motorway slip through a small patch of standing water. Nothing major just made the front go light briefly. On some occasions when I pushed my luck the back has started to come round. When warm with warm roads cornering grip is excellent.

Will see how it goes as the tread reduces but has been an excellent tyre for the last 15-20k miles and looks as though the tread life will be slightly longer than the PS4.

Both tyres came with between 7 and 7.5mm of tread.

Hope that helps :)
Mike_
New

Post by Mike_ »

It is always worth noting that the UK legal minimum is quite a bit below when both VW and the tyre manufacturers suggest you change them.

You never know when you might need to rely on the wet braking performance, which is what drops off the most with lower tread.
Mike_
New

Post by Mike_ »

I'm assuming the VW thing as Audi and BMW etc. Certainly do
PoloGTInoob
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by PoloGTInoob »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:38 pm @PoloGTInoob; Sorry, can’t recommend specific brands enough of all weather / all season tyres as I’ve never bought them. I have Michelin PS4 (summer tyres) on my GTI+ and they’ve been good IMHO; much better than the factory Bridgestones that were fitted by VW in the factory.
Hey, reopening this after a while. You said you use summer tyres, but do you use them year round or are you swapping them for winter tyres in the winter?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

PoloGTInoob wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:21 am
SRGTD wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:38 pm @PoloGTInoob; Sorry, can’t recommend specific brands enough of all weather / all season tyres as I’ve never bought them. I have Michelin PS4 (summer tyres) on my GTI+ and they’ve been good IMHO; much better than the factory Bridgestones that were fitted by VW in the factory.
Hey, reopening this after a while. You said you use summer tyres, but do you use them year round or are you swapping them for winter tyres in the winter?
Yes, I keep them on the car all year round as it’s usually pretty mild during the winter in the part of the UK where I live. I’m retired so don’t need to use my car to commute; if the winter road conditions are bad, then I’ll stay local to where I live, not use the car and walk.