Retrofitting a coolant temperature gauge: 6R 1.2 12v CGP

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Joseph Bloggs
New
Drives: 2011 6R '60 S' 1.2 12v

Retrofitting a coolant temperature gauge: 6R 1.2 12v CGP

Post by Joseph Bloggs »

Has anyone yet retrofitted a simple coolant temperature gauge to their 1.2 Polo??

I'm in the enviable :roll: position of using a base '60 S' 6R running the 1.2 12v (CGP) engine. OK with it's 60bhp I'm not first away from the lights, but its economical and keeps the miles and salt off the *other* cars during the winter 8) However the issue I have is I really DO need a coolant temperature gauge. Whilst they're undoubtedly very useful I don't want to go down the 'OBD display' route :!: I just want a plain and simple coolant temp gauge and I'm fortunate to have one sat in the workshop just waiting to be fitted. Nothing flashy just an LED display, a few wires and a sender unit. The sender having a 'standard' 1 1/8" NPT thread. This is where the challenge lays, as a quick look around the engine bay yields no obvious place to fit the sender, the OE VAG item being a push fit into a plastic housing. No sturdy aluminium inlet manifold or thermostat housing to drill and tap. The easiest option I can see being to fit an adaptor into the top hose. I realise that this is not ideal as this isn't really monitoring the engines actual true coolant temperature, and will not really be of any use until (and unless!!) the thermostat opens, but it may have to do? ...better than nothing I'm thinking. I hoped someone has found a better solution. Somewhere suitable to drill and tap a thread?? or??
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Re: Retrofitting a coolant temperature gauge: 6R 1.2 12v CGP

Post by amer6R »

what about tapping into the signal from the sensor that car already has.
Joseph Bloggs
New
Drives: 2011 6R '60 S' 1.2 12v

Post by Joseph Bloggs »

amer6R wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:00 pm what about tapping into the signal from the sensor that car already has.
Thanks for the suggestion amer6R :) sounds like an idea. Would you happen to know if the circuit is 5v or 12v ...or? I had assumed (maybe wrongly?) it to be 5v and a mismatch with my gauge and hence not suitable. If I have time tomorrow I shall monitor the existing circuits voltage and see if that'll work. It'd be a great and simple solution. Though I am keen to keep all the wiring, particularly any 'signal' wiring separate from the vehicles existing wiring... not wanting to cause strange back-feeds and weird faults. So still in hope of someone else having done this
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Hmm I'm not quite sure, but i think you could get it dialed in while comparing the data from diagnostic and comparing the voltage signal.
or you can use SN65HVD230 and ESP32 and tap into canbus hi and low and ofc. some kind of display.