Low Coolant

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Flashredpolo
New
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Low Coolant

Post by Flashredpolo »

On my way home just now my 2018 GTI threw a low coolant light on the dash and upon inspection it had dipped below the minimum line. I've since refilled it and car car is fine again. What reason would it be using coolant like this? Could it be the thermostat leak you hear about on the Golf GTI/R?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Low Coolant

Post by RUM4MO »

You will really need to examine under the bonnet to see where there are traces of coolant leaking out, including the radiator.
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Post by Maarten »

Has it ever been changed since new?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@Flashredpolo - My guess would be water pump and / or thermostat housing, but as @RUM4MO has said, check for evidence of leaks - and dried coolant residue deposits - in the engine compartment.

Has the coolant level gone down gradually over time or has it just suddenly dropped?
Flashredpolo
New

Post by Flashredpolo »

I've had the car since 2021 with 16k on the clock. I'm guessing the thermostat has never been changed. I'm unsure if it was a sudden drop but I did top it up about 2 months ago. Where abouts should I be looking for the coolant residue?
Mike222
Getting There!
Drives: Polo gti 2023 face lift Reefblue /black

Post by Mike222 »

I had a similar problem with my 2020 gti + it turned out to be the water pump ( apparently not uncommon on EA 888 engine ! )
My car had done 12000 miles and was TWO days out of warranty. Cost me over £600 !!!
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

That's Sick!
Johntheo1
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 MK10 AW1

Post by Johntheo1 »

Put a sheet of (white, preferably) paper underneath the engine as soon as you park up.
Flashredpolo
New

Post by Flashredpolo »

Just thought I'd give an update on the coolant leak.
Got the car seen by the dealer over the last weekend and they confirmed the water pump was leaking and it needed replacing. Luckily they agreed to do it through my All-in warranty so didn't cost me a penny and I got to Enjoy a Skoda Karoq for 3 days while they did the work. The all-in warrany has definitely paid for itself. Would've been just shy of £1000 job
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Flashredpolo wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:39 pm Just thought I'd give an update on the coolant leak.
Got the car seen by the dealer over the last weekend and they confirmed the water pump was leaking and it needed replacing. Luckily they agreed to do it through my All-in warranty so didn't cost me a penny and I got to Enjoy a Skoda Karoq for 3 days while they did the work. The all-in warrany has definitely paid for itself. Would've been just shy of £1000 job
Good outcome! 👍. It’s good to hear of cases like this where the warranty paid for your water pump replacement without issue.