1.2TSI CJZD Intake Gaskets

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

1.2TSI CJZD Intake Gaskets

Post by 2226 »

Do the green gaskets on the intake manifold definitely need to be replaced every time the inlet is removed?
Manuals say renew if removed, but not sure if that means removed from their seats in the inlet or when inlet actually removed.

I would like to pull the intake slightly back to check state of carbon build-up on the valves. Don't want to remove the manifold completely; that requires draining coolant. Just need to do "quick" inspection.
Le_Combattant
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6C 1.2 TSI 90 Cup

Re: 1.2TSI CJZD Intake Gaskets

Post by Le_Combattant »

2226 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:35 pm Do the green gaskets on the intake manifold definitely need to be replaced every time the inlet is removed?
Manuals say renew if removed, but not sure if that means removed from their seats in the inlet or when inlet actually removed.

I would like to pull the intake slightly back to check state of carbon build-up on the valves. Don't want to remove the manifold completely; that requires draining coolant. Just need to do "quick" inspection.
It's better to replace.

Due to heat cycle, pressure due to the turbo etc...

Could you please share us pictures of carbon build up on your engine later ?
It's will be interesting to see the state according the age/miles you have.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Thanks! Yeah, I reckon I need to pick up new gaskets then. So broke right now even buying gaskets hurts. :mrgreen:

The carbon build-up is a suspicion. See my other thread on misfires. I can't figure it out. 30,000+ misfires reported per cylinder, no error codes thrown.
Car has a slight skip at idle, so very random and minor you can barely feel it when it happens, but the rpm does not change.

Looking down the spark plug hole and I can see a very crusty piston top.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I am not too sure if you can get enough access to view the inlet ports on the cylinder head without dumping the coolant, I've even bought new bolts only because someone on one of these VW Group forums had these manifold screws included in the parts used to get in there and replace a broken injector rail screw - safer buying and using these parts than causes a disaster/inconvenience.

This is STILL a job that I intend to do, ie check the injector rail screws - or just replace them, check for carbon build up and replace the crappy G13 with G12evo.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

if it says replace a gasket, it's really better to do so. most gaskets break when they are removed. seal is compromised anyway. better spend a few bucks doing it properly.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Yes, I'm going to just go get them next week. Not much time before New Year's.

Speaking of G13... so I was down below the minimum mark for quite a while and last week I just went and picked up some G13 coolant and water, mixed it up (which was weird to see since the bottle got warm) and then topped up the overflow tank to the just over the max mark. Few days later it was done below the max mark again. I see no leaks. Might be the rad cap.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

I've had another idea.
I need to get a semi-decent inspection camera and check out cylinder 4. There is a MAP sensor position on runner 4. This might be a good entry point to get into that port for inspection.

Anyone done that?
I would think the biggest issue is getting an inspection camera with a short enough camera head so there is less chance of getting stuck in there.