Creaking steering

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Creaking steering

Post by SRGTD »

Reisspologti2023 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:54 am Hi, I collected my new GTI October 23 so it’s a 73 plate, all ok at first except now I’ve got this creaking and grinding noice when on full lock both directions at low speed the garage seem to think I’m crazy but even passengers comment. Any ideas what it might be surely this isn’t right for a 3 month old car with 1200 miles on the clock!
No, it’s not right that a low mileage three month old car should creak and groan when undertaking certain types of low speed manoeuvres. There are mk8 Golf R owners on vwroc.com forum who’ve experienced similar / the same noises as you during low speed manoeuvres - see discussion thread at the link below;

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/3902 ... ent-652861

It might be worth also reading the pages immediately before and after the page at the link above, as there may be more information on the cause(s) and dealer fix(es).

In your position, I would also get a passenger to record a video clip of noise on your phone while you’re performing the type of low speed manoeuvre where the noise occurs. That’ll give the dealer proof that you’re not crazy or imagining it, and hopefully they’ll then be able to diagnose the cause of the noise and fix your car!

Please update this discussion thread with developments and details of the fix when your car’s been sorted for the benefit of other forum members who’re having the same / similar issue.

Good luck in getting it sorted 🤞.
PoloGTInoob
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Re: Creaking steering

Post by PoloGTInoob »

Ive noticed this on my 2020 GTI. It happens when i am forward parking in a space (ie. turning the wheel significantly and braking at the same time). It makes a loud screech sound.

I suspect it could be linked to the noise these GTIs make when reversing, which i thought was a brakes/discs (not steering) issue? Its a similar noise.