"Stuttering" engine

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

"Stuttering" engine

Post by sylonien »

Not sure if I used the right word - but when I started the car this morning (quite cold) it was like stuttering and felt like it ws going to stall.

That was jus after I turned on the engine. Any worries? :shock:

I revved it a little and it seemed "okay" i think.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

its winter...
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

Post by sylonien »

Yes I know - but why why?
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

(talking back to the cold empty night)

because its COLD. coldness = cold engine = unhappy engine. a little bit of idling and revving (at least on a car with a properly functioning cooling system, unlike mine) = warm engine = happy engine.
but... too much idling and revving = hot engine = unhappy engine!

if instead you wanted a more detailed explanation of "winter", then i'm sure the local library will be happy to help. more than happy actually seeing as the internet has nuked peoples interest in the things.
metz

Post by metz »

I will post for the dearly departed SLY-ONION...

Wow thank you tahrey1043 you really set my mind at rest with your excellent answer to my question.

I love this forum thank you very much 8)
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

"meh" :P

i really didnt know what to say to the question that hadnt already been discussed ad infinitum before.

at the end of the day, thirty seconds after starting is an anything-goes zone and im just proud of the little b*stard that more than 90% of the time on horrid days it will still zip away to the redline and settle back to idle if there's an emergency. (course, i dont do that from cold... not anymore anyway. 3500 tops, til the tappets have quietened down at least)
the 10% of various power loss, stutters, misfires and what have you all fall under the blanket of "its brass monkeys out there mavis".

on that note, i found my long-lost hot air hose at the weekend, repaired it best as possible with most of a roll of electrical tape (THEREs another thing to nab off that ranger!) and wedged it back on. Near as dammit. Several weeks in the garage seems to have misshapen it, but it went. Has made quite a difference to the running temperature and nature, smoother at idle etc.
Not like it's going up to 80-90 degrees or anything, but it's shifting upto and a bit past 70 a whole lot faster when idling slowly around, and will just about hold 70 when driving around. yay :)
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

metz wrote:I will post for the dearly departed SLY-ONION...

Wow thank you tahrey1043 you really set my mind at rest with your excellent answer to my question.

I love this forum thank you very much 8)
PMSL at this one :lol:

Class Metz real class
metz

Post by metz »

*bows* 8)
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

*claps*
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

back to topic :!:

yea, cold weather (and cold engine) make the engine unsmooth

shuld be "happier :D " and smooth once it gets up to normal operating temperature.