Can the standard Polo 9n alarm be fitted afterwards?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
cjdriver
New

Can the standard Polo 9n alarm be fitted afterwards?

Post by cjdriver »

Hi,

As you may have read from my previous post, I have just bought a August 2004 Polo 1.9 Tdi sport 5 door (UK VW dealer supplied). It has central locking (not remote), but does not have an alarm. All the brochures etc suggest it should have remote central locking and an alarm.

My question is, does anybody know if the factory standard polo alarm can be fitted afterwards or can this only be done at the factory during manufacture? Also what parts would I need?

Thanks,

Chris.
dxg

Post by dxg »

Dude,

Get hold of this book(*):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 26-8274017

and have a read of the stuff on Contract and Sales of Goods. If you can be sure that the alarm was on the purchase order that formed the actual contract (the advertisement, sadly, doesn't) then it "should" be a simple case of passing the problem over to the dealer and getting them to sort it out.

I would not be paying out to get this feature if you can be sure that it formed part of the contract with the supplier.

Just my 2p.

Deek.

(*) aka the Enid Blyton book of law, as it's "endearingly" referred to by the law undergrads at edinburgh uni. It's the standard text. It's used pretty much everywhere, so even your local library should have a reasonably recent edition...
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Either they fit it free of charge (if they are liable) or you get them to reimburse you the cost of an alarm.

Remember if they are forced to fit the alarm for you, you'll have a disgruntled dealership fitting an alarm, pulling door cards apart, removing headlining, I know what I'd rather have.

If you go for a refund, which you should be entitled to, you could then have a decent aftermarket alarm fitted with remote locking, remote start and a high category rating.

Be interested to see how this one pans out.

Des
richardshone
New

Post by richardshone »

it might have an alarm but you dont know about it. My april 04 twist has an alarm which sets when i lock the doors, with the key - no remote either, but i have been told it only goes off if someone forces the door open, not if a winbdow breaks etc.....however, seeing as the doors have deadlocks its pretty impossible to open the door if its locked, so all you really have is a nice flashing red light in the drivers door.........
cjdriver
New

Post by cjdriver »

Interesting....

I tried a few things to set the alarm off, e.g. leaving the windows open and locking the car then waving my arms around inside but couldn't set it off so assumed there wasn't one.

I also have the red flashing LED in the drivers door, so does this indicate I have an alarm?
richardshone
New

Post by richardshone »

my local Car alarm shop says i do but the only way to test it is with a crow bar and wrenching the doors off. there are no sensors in the car for this type of alram though so windows open and waving your arms inside just makes you look mad to the neighbours............. :shock:
sbp
Bronze Member

Post by sbp »

is there a grill sort of thing in the ceiling near the inside-light? That's where the motion sensor is for the alarm. Also there should be a button to turn off the alarm behing the drivers seat somewhere on the side.

You can try opening the car with keys not the remote. Just do not start the car. Just get in and wait for a minute see what happens :) THen start moving like something just bit you :wink: lol

the red flashing light does not nessesarily mean you have an alarm.. My brother has that on his golf too and has no alarm..

my local Car alarm shop says i do but the only way to test it is with a crow bar and wrenching the doors off. there are no sensors in the car for this type of alram though so windows open and waving your arms inside just makes you look mad to the neighbours.............

thewre is a sensor in mine.. are there different alarms around??
cjdriver
New

Post by cjdriver »

It depends which grill you mean. I found this picture on the internet which shows two grills:

http://galleries.wheels24.co.za/cars/vw ... ges/32.jpg

I have the grill between the reading lights, but do not have the big grill at the back. I would assume it's the big grill that contains the alarm sensors?

Also, does anybody know what the little grill is for between the reading lights?
sbp
Bronze Member

Post by sbp »

its the biggest grill :wink:
I have no clew as to what the small grill is for.. sensor for airco?? probly not..
carmadaaron
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by carmadaaron »

cjdriver wrote:Interesting....

I tried a few things to set the alarm off, e.g. leaving the windows open and locking the car then waving my arms around inside but couldn't set it off so assumed there wasn't one.

I also have the red flashing LED in the drivers door, so does this indicate I have an alarm?
thats what i did, after locking the car, wait 30secs then wave my hands in the car. the alarm went off.
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

cjdriver wrote:It depends which grill you mean. I found this picture on the internet which shows two grills:

http://galleries.wheels24.co.za/cars/vw ... ges/32.jpg

I have the grill between the reading lights, but do not have the big grill at the back. I would assume it's the big grill that contains the alarm sensors?

Also, does anybody know what the little grill is for between the reading lights?
Place for putting a microphone for a handsfree kit.

Des