Is this a BAD idea? (CD Changer locations)

Discuss In Car Entertainment
Petrified
Sponsor

Is this a BAD idea? (CD Changer locations)

Post by Petrified »

Well I fitted the CD changer today. I was looking for places to put it. It fits nicely in the glovebox but I need that space for other things. Another option was taking one of the seat drawers out and attatching it there but I thought with me moving my seat around so much it might not be a good idea.

I was going to put it in the boot with some velcro for now and get a box built to put it in with an amp. Then I tried this. The place where the fire extinguisher?/first aid kit? goes. :|

Is this a bad Idea? I mean it's in there solid, not moving at all. Has anyone else put one here??? :?

The reason I like it is that it's easy to take out when I've got other stuff in the boot. Or I could just carpet around it to hide...

I thought I'd consult you lot before I tried it, as you seem pretty good at this sort of thing. :)

Many thanks
James.
ciden
Bronze Member

Post by ciden »

James, I don't know the model of your CD-changer - so it might be different from the situation I experienced with a Clio I had where they fitted a unit for me, but forgot to change a setting. Usually CD-changers should be mounted either horizontally or vertically. The whole inner workings of the changer are mounted on springs to counter work the vibrations that goes through the car. Just look around on your unit if there's something like a key with 2 options: vertical or horizontal.
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

Ah, I see what you mean.
Yes the unit should be either vertical or horizontal. At the moment it is neither :(

So the Silver bit should either be facing up, or towards the boot.

I might change it then, unless anyone else thinks differently!

Although it was the perfect spot for it!
:roll:
James.
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

VW do a bracket for the 6CD boot player in the 9n for when you specify Sat Nav. Just thought I'd add that in case you didn't know :? :P
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

when you open the boot look straight down and then look towards the rear bumper and you shoud see a vertical surface that you can screw/bolt/etc a cd changer to and then if you want stealth make a 3 sided box out of 8mm mdf (top, one side and one end) and carper it and use velcro to attach it
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

Thanks!

I'm going to velcro it down for now. If I cant find a better place I will probably put it near the boot then.

Ideally I want to put it somewhere that I can remove it without having to unscrew it, as I would do this quite often (having to use the car for work and carrying things in the boot). Or hide it in a box, which is another option I'm thinking of.

Oh, another place... how about on the parcel shelf between the speakers. That way I could remove it with the parcel shelf. It would be at the correct angle and easy to disconnect. I've got a stealth shelf which is very thick so that could work, ??

James.
ciden
Bronze Member

Post by ciden »

You could try that, it's just gonna be a bit "jumpy", and the shelf is not totally fixed to the car.

:?: Do you need the whole boot when transporting stuff? If not, why not make a false side..either side. Mount your changer in a horizontal position then. You can carpet it to suit the rest of the boot interior.
ciden
Bronze Member

Post by ciden »

You could try that, it's just gonna be a bit "jumpy", and the shelf is not totally fixed to the car.

:?: Do you need the whole boot when transporting stuff? If not, why not make a false side..either side. Mount your changer in a horizontal position then. You can carpet it to suit the rest of the boot interior.

This is what they did with our Clio:
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

The reason why I would be removing it is because often what I have to do is this:

Take out parcel shelf, fill car with computers, cabels and other things.
Take to a customers, take out everything from the boot.

The problem is, I would be leaving the car for hours in dodgy places with no parcel shelf showing the contents of the boot, so it would be showing the CD changer.

I'm not being super paranoid, it's just that you can't do that with most of the places I would be going to. They would take it out in seconds and not care about the alarm. I lost my last one like that and it was screwed into the side of my old MK5. :cry:

So it either needs to be easily removable or totally hidden. :roll:

But thanks anyway :D I have ideas now for what I can do with my girlfriends car!

I know if it was on the parcel shelf it wouldn't move at all, the shelf is held in very tightly. guess as long as it wasn't playing when I shut the boot it should be ok?
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

you could do a dark tint on the rear 3 windows so they cant see in
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

you could do a dark tint on the rear 3 windows so they cant see in
That sounds like a good Idea :wink:

Although I've put it on the parcel shelf for now. I've run with it for an hour or so today and no problems, even when shutting the boot while it's playing. Beside having it there leaves more room for the fridge! :twisted: :twisted:

James.
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

Here it is:

Only £25 and held in with velcro. The power lead it just running into the lighter socket for now up front (theres meant to be one in the back!!?)

At least I don't have to try hiding this! Just for long journey's and the like.

James.