OIL

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
RICHARD HARPER
Bronze Member

OIL

Post by RICHARD HARPER »

What oil do you guys on the forum recommend ?
Cars due for oil change...
Been looking at Mobil 1 0w-40
or am i just better to go to vw and get the 10w-40oil from there ?
Can anyone help ?
I'll be using a genuine vw filter but does anyone know how to get this off easily ?
it looks in an ackward place
Cheers
M@Turner
Platinum Member

Post by M@Turner »

My "service oil" sign is flashing where my tripmeter is. Is it worth me changing the oil myself or wait until the start of April when my 40K service is due and let the garage do it.

If i was to do it myself a DIY guide would be much appreciated.
jon_poloV
Sponsor

oil

Post by jon_poloV »

id like to change mine to get that just serviced feel
jon
morrismen
Silver Member

VW Oil

Post by morrismen »

Well, I have not had to top it up or change mine since I bought it - just doesn't use any! I was told to only use VW Oil from the garage, but then I would presume you could substitute this with other oils. What I can't understand is what the rating of VW Oil is. If it's a 10W/40 equivalent, then you should be able to use any other too, right? What's so special about VW oil anyhow?

Perhaps we need to see if the oil should be a at a certain spec and then decide on whether semi-synthetic (10W/40 Castrol) or Synthetic (5W/50) would be better?

Perhaps we need recommendations from VW Tech?
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

On the bill for my last service (from a VW dealer), the fee for the oil stated that the car was filled with Castrol Magnatec GTX, which is semi-synthetic I believe. The charge for replacing the oil was £25.55 ex. VAT FYI...

A mate of mine always filled his 1997 6n 1.4 16v with fully synthetic oil from when he first bought it right up until he sold it. Certainly didn't do it any harm!
mikegti
Silver Member

Post by mikegti »

If i remember correctly, the last genuine VW filter that was on my car had a big nut tacked onto the end of the filter body, so that was pretty easy to undo, just a bit fiddly to extract!

there's a few threads on here about people's oil preference if you do a search. I use magnatec semi syn cos its normally on special offer!

I've seen a few oils say that they meet VW spec, and probably exceed it too!
morrismen
Silver Member

Found it

Post by morrismen »

The Oil used is supposed to be either A2 or A3 spec. These are posted on all types of motor oil so that you can mix and match these multi-grade oils. Therefore, you can use either of these. :wink:
poussou
Bronze Member

Post by poussou »

Well i guess since many of you already know how much i've worked on improving my Gti....i have one recommendation to make....

Try using Shell Helix Ultra 5/40 W or any other fully synthetic 5/40 W oil....

You WILL be amazed.... :wink:
ttaw2
Bronze Member

Post by ttaw2 »

IIRC you shouldn't top up combi or mineral oil with fully synthetic.

If I were you i'd just get a small can of the VW oil and top her up, if you're going to get an oil change in April anyway there's no point in doing it now..

Just make sure you check the oil level with the dipstick before you go pouring loads in as it might be a faulty reading on the sensor, and you don't want to gooverfilling.

IIRC (again) you'll have markings on the dipstick saying how much difference there is between minimum and maximum (i.e 1.25 liters) If you're under the minimum then you know that you can put in at least that figure without overfilling. Then let it settle and re check..

If you're between the max and the min you'll just have to go a little at a time so you don't overfill..

Remember that you can always put a bit more in, but it's a bstard to try and get some out.

Oh, and you should take the dipstick readings whith the car on level ground with a cold engione, as this gives the oil has a chance to collect in the sump and will give you an acurate reading.