Performance Brakes

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Jordan
Bronze Member

Performance Brakes

Post by Jordan »

Has anyone fitted performance brakes to there Gti was thinking of doing this and just wanted to know what to go for. :D
DMWRIGHT
Bronze Member

Post by DMWRIGHT »

Was thinking about this too, I know some have fitted the seat Cupra brakes, but has anyone done anything else ?
Jordan
Bronze Member

Post by Jordan »

I was thinking of ebc or red dot or black diamond just wanted to know what to go for.
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

Look at my post from afew weeks back think its called "more brakes"
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

i'm going to try and custom fit some brembo's in the standard size disks! as i want to keep a 15" wheel
ICEYPOLO
Silver Member

Post by ICEYPOLO »

I've fitted blueflame rotor discs - http://www.blueflameperformance.com/car/rotordiscs.asp and pagid pads which have improved the braking slightly...

i am tempted by the brembo's but £500+ is out of my budget at the mo... i think thats the only way to go to majorly improve over standard!

scott
cyhliu
Platinum Member

Post by cyhliu »

These Brembo's that we all talk about, when fitted what happens to the ABS system of the car?

And what what kit will fit the Polo? Are they the ones that are on the Seat Ibiza Cupra? What would you be expecting to pay for one of these kits?
mikegti
Silver Member

Post by mikegti »

ICEYPOLO wrote:I've fitted blueflame rotor discs - http://www.blueflameperformance.com/car/rotordiscs.asp and pagid pads which have improved the braking slightly...
I was thinking of fitting these too, as my discs and pads are getting a bit low.

Have you noticed any noise increase with those discs?
Johnmk4
Bronze Member

Post by Johnmk4 »

mikegti wrote:
ICEYPOLO wrote:I've fitted blueflame rotor discs - http://www.blueflameperformance.com/car/rotordiscs.asp and pagid pads which have improved the braking slightly...
I was thinking of fitting these too, as my discs and pads are getting a bit low.

Have you noticed any noise increase with those discs?
i now supply Rotor Discs, so if you want a good price PM me :)
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

For those who don't know what the rotor discs look like...

www.rotordiscs.com : Awesome 8)
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

£450 for the brembo kit but you need just the right wheel! 16" min, ET35 and quite abit of caliper clerance!

when you get disks and pads from GFS are they the same as another car? i remember someone saying that are the same as the MK3 golf gti?
cyhliu
Platinum Member

Post by cyhliu »

I believe you are right about the MkIIV Golf GTI brakes being the same as the Polos, there is a posting above called 'More Brakes' that discusses this topic.

16" min, been told that even these won't fit over Brembos! Hmm...
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

i've been looking at the hi-spec brake kits today! by the sounds they custom make the kit for you! also there racing brake's get this, 280mm +4 or 6 pot caliper under a 13" wheel! :shock:
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

dubpolo wrote:i've been looking at the hi-spec brake kits today! by the sounds they custom make the kit for you! also there racing brake's get this, 280mm +4 or 6 pot caliper under a 13" wheel! :shock:
The 4-pots I've seen on modded Minis, behind Minilite wheels...iIs it physically possible to get 6-pot callipers behind a 13" wheel?! :|
ttaw2
Bronze Member

Post by ttaw2 »

IIRC When I looked into this, the guys I spoke to said that the only way to really improve the brakes was to swap out the master cylinder with a larger diameter, which enables you to exert more force on the pistons of the calliper. To go for a for a 6 pot and massive disks on the standard master cylinder wouldn't be very effective, as you're not adding any more force/pressure into the system to drive the bigger parts. I think the main issue with the polo might be finding the space to fit the bigger MC, but if you can do it. Will try to dig out the other VAG sizes, but off the top of my head the corrado vr6 ran a 22mm MC, that'd sort things out from the standard 19mm.