guess what.........

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

guess what.........

Post by Tahrey1043 »

BOOYAKASHA ROODBOY INNIT - I gone scored me an LC :)

:lol: GT4 has become less of a game for me, more a relentless wallpapering machine. My ancient pirate copy of Microsoft Scenes will soon find itself bedecked with a new, enormous picture set.....

Oh yeah, and I got the Carlton by the skin of my teeth, spotted it... did two races to raise the cash... thank christ it was still there - had enough left for an oil change and a photo drive. Rock and roll...!

Image Image Image

It's a beast..... a big, non-cornering, tyre eating, beautiful beast. (Is that about accurate?)
(of course I turned the ASM and Trac off, what kind of numpty do you take me for? :D)

Top tip - if you put the photo drive replay into Fast Forward before hitting Select, when doing burnouts, the trails become about 3x longer, because the smoke graphic doesn't fade away any faster than in normal replay mode :D

Image Image

A bit of ill-advised messing with the laws of physics there, and the obligatory Top Gear shot.

I propose a GT4 Photo thread for the Members Rides section, able to be added to by anyone (or a sticky for here). Though perhaps it should be limited to one pic / a certain total kilobytes per person-per post-per day to avoid the unbridled carnage the old Mk3 Pic Post was.
Compo it up to find who can get the best pic. (I haven't even got close to putting up some of the sepiatone / blueprint ones i made, yet :D)

Oh, and how pimp is this?!
Image Image Image

For some reason.... the japanese version of Starskey and Hutch wasn't ever anywhere near as popular as the american original. Probably due to a chronic cardboard box shortage. It just didn't take off. Never had a chance of getting off the ground without them, so to speak.

And just in case you were suspecting, I only got round to copying all these over because I managed to fill an entire, virgin 8mb PS2 memory card already (with game, photos, and replays). Had to transfer and delete about 50 shots. Feel lucky I haven't put the whole deal up - I've got some nice ones of the Volvo Estate in Brooklyn, and the Ginetta in Vegas ;) and plenty more LC / Skyline to add to the above.

And it all started properly in earnest, when the Autobianchi got it's new pimptastic chrome wheels, stolen off a hotwheels version of a Plymouth Superbird or something.....

F***ing gorge, that game.
Night!

funny, one of the best looking women at my place of work is called Elsie... mere coincidence?
bstardchild

Re: guess what.........

Post by bstardchild »

Tahrey1043 wrote:BOOYAKASHA ROODBOY INNIT - I gone scored me an LC :)

Oh yeah, and I got the Carlton by the skin of my teeth, spotted it... did two races to raise the cash... thank christ it was still there - had enough left for an oil change and a photo drive. Rock and roll...!

It's a beast..... a big, non-cornering, tyre eating, beautiful beast. (Is that about accurate?)
(of course I turned the ASM and Trac off, what kind of numpty do you take me for? :D)
Well as for accuracy - they LC/LO's don't have ASM or Trac to start with so what you've done is to get a real feel for what the car is actually like IMHO

It's big

It's heavy (so when it strts to slide there is a lot of momentum in it)

It's eats tyres for sure - I did a set of rears in a day on a track day and the fronts were pretty shot too and I'm very much a slow in fast out syle driver

And YES is it beautifull in an ugly way
Tahrey1043 wrote:[Top tip - if you put the photo drive replay into Fast Forward before hitting Select, when doing burnouts, the trails become about 3x longer, because the smoke graphic doesn't fade away any faster than in normal replay mode :D

A bit of ill-advised messing with the laws of physics there, and the obligatory Top Gear shot.
I am really impressed with some of the pictures that have been put up in this thread - big time :lol:
Tahrey1043 wrote:funny, one of the best looking women at my place of work is called Elsie... mere coincidence?
It was the logical choice of names for my new cat :wink:
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

Just a case of arsing about with the settings until you get something that looks right ;) Though a few half remembered things about depth of field, etc, from some old kids activity book didn't hurt! (you know, sort of "why not try professional SLR photography? try sailing a yacht? nursing a sick pony back to health?" all that unrealistic stuff...)

Funnily I just picked up my new digital camera yesterday eve, and though I bought it mainly because of "5 mpixel, optical zoom, microphone, 4cm macro, takes AAs", it turns out it's got a lot of those professional class GT things on it, in addition to some idiotproof presets of course.
Oddly appropriate, seeing as I now know how to play with these things - aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation, white balance, etc. Time to get busy with the real life motors, and some crouching tiger lifting wires? (too bad that it's maximum aperture is f2.7, and forcibly goes upwards when you zoom, so those nice blurred backgrounds are probably impossible)
hayesey
Silver Member

Post by hayesey »

those LC pics look sooooo cool!! Any chance you could email the pic versions of them to me please?

hayesey@ntlworld.com

muchly appreciated. 8)
Babe RuthLess
Gold Member

Post by Babe RuthLess »

Tahrey1043 wrote:(too bad that it's maximum aperture is f2.7, and forcibly goes upwards when you zoom, so those nice blurred backgrounds are probably impossible)
Those nice blurred backgrouds are nearly impossible to get with non-SLR digital cameras anyway, so I wouldn't worry about maximum aperture.

It's the sensor area that's too small...
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

if you let me get my chores done first haysey then yeah!

i thought all digital cameras with an LCD preview were effectively SLR? What makes the difference?
hayesey
Silver Member

Post by hayesey »

Tahrey1043 wrote:if you let me get my chores done first haysey then yeah!

cheers! 8)
Babe RuthLess
Gold Member

Post by Babe RuthLess »

Tahrey1043 wrote:if you let me get my chores done first haysey then yeah!

i thought all digital cameras with an LCD preview were effectively SLR? What makes the difference?
Well, a SLR camera has a mirror that sends the image from the lens to prism, and from that to the viewfinder. A digital SLR has a semi-transparent mirror that lets some of the light go to prism, and some to the CCD sensor (for the LCD display).

Digital cameras lack the "reflex" part in SLR (Single Lens Reflex) because there's no mirror/prism - light goes straight to the CCD and from there to the display.

As for the difference in depth of field, check this link. The explanation is rather long and 'technical' for me to reproduce here. :-)
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

whoops, sh**.... i'll have a gander and see if they're on the hard disc, then put them on imageshack and non-thumbnail linkify them, is that good enough? :)

babe where is the rest of the light going to in a digital SLR if only some of it is going to the CCD? ... you mean there's digital camera people who still line shots up with the camera up against their eye? :D
(actually, my dad's one has a secondary high-density LCD with a minifying macro lens / prism / etc on it to give a similar looking display through the viewfinder to the one on the back... am i close?)

edit: wish i could remember how to get a zip-file of this stuff hosted in a free FTP..... the entirety of my GT4 photography (barring that not yet transferred) is only 6.4mb, and the LC pics (including several not shown here) take up a grand 1.8mb altogether. Or the space of one good quality 3 - 4 megapixel photy in other words. I could put them all up in imageshack but it would take forever and be a pain in the tush. Let's just start with a few - maybe i'll edit this tomorrow...

here ye are
http://img152.echo.cx/img152/3254/img00410li.jpg

http://img152.echo.cx/img152/2739/img00268dd.jpg

http://img229.echo.cx/img229/2335/img00345jy.jpg

http://img229.echo.cx/img229/1811/img00407cu.jpg

http://img229.echo.cx/img229/3622/img00298ps.jpg

http://img229.echo.cx/img229/2052/img00241yj.jpg

apologies for any JPG blocking - I did set it to use the very best quality available, but on a PS2, i guess thats "not very much"

and, a slightly resized, slightly smoothened and lightened version of this is my current desktop (a minor but important variation on the 4th pic, there...)
http://img152.echo.cx/img152/8782/img00391uy.jpg
I'm just hoping the car's going to be a bit better than the 4-wheeled train that is the TVR Griffith for the FR challenge. That tugboat can't steer to save it's life even if you drift it, rendering Nitro powerless to help you.
hayesey
Silver Member

Post by hayesey »

cheers! Time to replace the Nissan Bluebird pic I've currently got on my desktop of my laptop.
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

real one or GT4 one? :)

kind of disappointed they only have the 70s bluebird in there, not the 80s classic :D

anyway, guess i've had my GT chips for a while, as brother's took his PS2 away with him for the final term....... he won't be there long though. Graduation will be sometime in July, already :twisted:
hayesey
Silver Member

Post by hayesey »

GT4 one. a mate has the game & we bought loads of cool old skool cars. 70s Skyline is excellent!
13twelve
Gold Member

Post by 13twelve »

makes me wanna buy a ps2
zahir_213
Silver Member

Post by zahir_213 »

nice pics, but how did you get those pics off the ps2 and then on to pc ?
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

:roll:
*hands Zahir a prescription*

Take two GT4 manuals and call me in the morning :)

alternative crap joke:
Take one USB pen drive, bodge it in one of your PS2s USB sockets, and either transfer the piccy over using the Photo Gallery in "Home", or save it direct when taking the shot. Plug said USB pen drive into computer, copy JPG files off. Job's a goodun.