BC's Polo 1.4 CL (Now with a new owner - Bye Bye)

Post pictures of your car! (Max size 30k each - 800x600)
bstardchild

BC's Polo 1.4 CL (Now with a new owner - Bye Bye)

Post by bstardchild »

Okay time for a brief history of my Polo 1997 "R" MKIV 1.4 CL 8V

Day I went to see it (crap pic) - it was scruffy but sound - and hadn't seen a wax polish in years if ever..... Drove nice tho but drank fuel (35mpg best) compared to my old MKII!!!

Once I got it home a week later

Got it home - re-registered it (with her plate on it) and started cleaning it up..... nice but not exactly anything special

Joined Uk-Polos.net because I'd been lurking on here before that with a MKII Coupe S and because I wanted to know how to re-set the permenantly on service light.....

Anyway started to go through and service it properly.

Found Vagparts at the bottom of the forum so sunglasses holder and a few other bits started finding their way onto the car - hmm I wasn't supposed to be modding the Polo :lol:

First car owned for zillions of years not fitted with alloys so I new that they would be on the shopping list along with a set of tyres that had more than the legal minumum required but as luck would have it I found a set of alloys (with almost new continental tyres - yeeee haaaa - £90 from the Southampton free ads) to replace the nasty steelies.

The trip from Norfolk to pick up the alloys convinced me I needed a better stereo so a Kenwood MP3 player got shoehorned into the dash and the std rad/cass that kept cutting out got binned.

Next I got some clear side repeaters and front indicators and a tailgate spoiler to tidy up the back end - hmm now I'm thinking FK Grill and debadged would be the way to go..... Mpg climbing to 40+ as a result of servicing items and change of driving style..... :lol:

A colour coded subtle - read small tailgate spoiler and an FK debadged grill finished things off

I wasn't 100% sure about the front grill but if you don't try stuff you don't know so it pretty soon was removed and replaced with the std item.

Damn strong these Polo's you can park a tank on one :lol:

Unfortunately they will dent if you leave the car parked outside your house and pissed up yobs decide to walk over the top of it..... :twisted:

Add a new bonnet to this of things to replace........

Anyway I knocked the worst of the dent out and it didn't look too bad I knew it was there but I had to point it out before others could see it

Well the sport rader wheels were 13 inch same size as the original steels and they looked sooooo small - what it really needs is a decent set of rims - not a big fan of big shiney hoops and wheels are such a gamble unless you've seen a car with them on and I really wanted to keep it looking VAG so started searching for BBS RX's (GTi MKV split rims) but a straight copy would have been a bit lame - sheep in wolfs clothing so I didn't want to just copy the GTi look I wanted to be different - by this time I'd finished going through the oily bits and was getting 45+ mpg on a run...

So I bought a scruffy set and fully refurbed them :wink: there is a thread elsewhere covering that.

Anyway once fitted with a couple of new boots the car loked like this

Like most people - the job wasn't completely finished before I fitted them - no lug nut covers and no centre badges - but damm I liked the result......

Had to wait a while for the finishing touches - here's one with badges and lug nut covers - a few pence for the bolt covers makes a world of difference to the look of the wheels

Trouble was those wheels now made it look bus high but I guess that will get solved soon enough!!!!!

So what happened next - Well I had all the polishing stuff out to do the wheels so thought hmm that rocker cover looks naff I'll add bit of bling.... here's a picture of the polished rocker cover ready to go on.....

Bit more work on the engine bay needed but this is with the rocker cover fitted - new bolts from Vag parts

So the FK grill went and I bought some black badges as I preferred the subtle effect.

Black badge front end

Black badge for the rear end

MKV lights (thanks Golfather).

One day I'll make em fit flush (or maybe not)

Bought a set of second hand 12 mths old lowering springs

Had them shot blasted and powder coated in satin black first - same as the wheels because I don't like bolting rusty scruffy stuff to any of my cars

Fitted them and now it's 40-50mm lower

Better effect when you view the whole car

Fitted MKV Ciggy lighter socket and Toerag torch

Well to round this thread off - last thing I did was fit a set of coilovers (I'm sure I did a thread on that I'll dig it out but it could look like this with a bit of winding down

but I prefered it not so low so it pretty much stayed at same height as the lowering springs sat

Couple of other bits and pieces

De-cat Pipe

later model gear shift and gaiter

Stubby aerial

UK Polos Stickers

Estate rear wiper

Original Steelies were handy for winter tyres

Tried these wheels for a while

Car also attracted less attention on steelies so less of this

And I ran without a stereo for ages (I wanted to change the whole dash centre section to repair the damage)

And lightning did strike twice it got done again outside my house - Luckily I believe in Karma

Chrome clock rings

Sometime round then the bump strips finally went

Always liked this picture just before Inters a few years back

As you can see - the bump strips finally got removed :lol:

You will understand why as just a few weeks before it looked like this and it was a battle to get it finished in time

I hit a pole - actually a drunk pole - driving a BMW :lol:

Anyway it all came to an end when I found another polo about 2 years ago (I'd been hunting for one for a while) I'll do another thread on that when I have five mins so this one got reverse engineered - all the mods I'd ever done were reversable and I always find cars sell better as a blank canvas so I can honestly say remove the bump strips from the picture below and this is how the car looked like when it went to it's new owner :wink: No pics as it really looked very poor compared to how I'd got her looking in the end

I had all the parts ready to sell on and recover a bit of cash however the new owner ended up being my nephew after his 1.0 Polo was written off by a lorry driver (failed to notice he was stationary and waiting to turn right) and he's slowly been converting it back to how I had it :lol: so it's a bit strange sometimes when I see it outside again :wink:

I think he's a club polo bod - understandable as I'm not really down with the kids :D