loud knocking noise

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
camone
New

loud knocking noise

Post by camone »

Ive been having problems with my mk3 polo recently in the form of a loud knocking noise coming from under my drivers seat. It seems to happen when i go over large bumps when driving about 30mph. It also happens when travelling above 65mph and i come off the accelarator(this time its a fast knocking noise) Theres also crunching noises coming from my hand brake at the same time.
Ive recently lowered my car, maybe its the harsher ride making my remus exhast knock about too much but im not sure, i cant see anything loose under the car.
Anybody got any ideas?????
I need help, It sometimes sounds as if my cars going to rip apart.
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

Exhaust mountings are a possibilty, but it could be the engine and/or the gearbox mounts (where your engine is fixed to the car). Ask Polo2K, he's got a bit more experience than me
dub envy

Post by dub envy »

Sounds like the exhaust to me. What exhaust mounts are you running? Maybe you could try some Powerflex poly mounts if you aren't using uprated ones and also look to see if the exhaust is nice and snuggly fitted. Demon Tweeks sell these mounts for a few pounds each. If the problem persists then you could try the more expensive engine/gearbox mounts as KarlM suggested.
camone
New

Post by camone »

well i fixed the knocking noise yesterday, was just the exhast hitting the bodywork, must have bent the front pipe over when fitting the back box.
thank f**k for that
dub envy

Post by dub envy »

cool, glad it was nothing more 8)
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Remus exhaust- good choice mate. 8)