Arm rest wanted

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
2015_polo
Getting There!
Drives: 2015 6c polo

Re: Arm rest wanted

Post by 2015_polo »

hjgtiger wrote:@2015_polo

Thanks for your comments - not really surprised as the cup holder is not very substantial.

From your experience is the centre console of the 6c different to the 6n?

It would appear that the 'Ali express' (chinese) armrests are for 6n versions and come in 2 types one with a cup holder - which looks to be a major job to fit; the other version without a cup holder looks to be much simpler but I am not sure it will fit a 6c properly!
The centre console in the 6c is very different to the 6n it's not overly different to the 6R but there was changes , I've been looking into it and you can't retro fit a genuine arm rest with out changing the centre console that supports an armrest , any I've looked at on the internet have been Chinese and just look cheap compared to a genuine one . I think fitting a cheap one won't be too difficult either with or without a cup holder as they come with fitting kits and instructions and are meant as DIY kits so they don't make them hard but then again that could be one of the reasons they don't last

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hjgtiger
New
Drives: Dec 2016 White Gti auto

Post by hjgtiger »

@2015_polo

Sorry I meant 6c and 6r comparison. Are there differences in the area around the rear cupholder - where a non Vw one would be fitted?

From what I have read re fitting these Chinese units, the 'cup holder ' version has a 4 hole cast alloy mounting block which is bolted to existing threaded holes in the floor. However the size of the casting means it is too big to go in through the aperture left by the removed original cupholder, so the whole centre console must be 'loosened' to feed the casting under the back of the lifted up console.
On the 'non cupholder' version, the casting uses only 2 of the threaded holes plus the rear console holding down screw - it is also small enough to go through the aperture.

Cupholder:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-sh ... .22.QYRSCr

Non cupholder:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-VW- ... 207.AgL3VO
2015_polo
Getting There!

Post by 2015_polo »

Sorry I meant 6c and 6r comparison. Are there differences in the area around the rear cupholder - where a non Vw one would be fitted?

From what I have read re fitting these Chinese units, the 'cup holder ' version has a 4 hole cast alloy mounting block which is bolted to existing threaded holes in the floor. However the size of the casting means it is too big to go in through the aperture left by the removed original cupholder, so the whole centre console must be 'loosened' to feed the casting under the back of the lifted up console.
On the 'non cupholder' version, the casting uses only 2 of the threaded holes plus the rear console holding down screw - it is also small enough to go through the aperture.

Cupholder:

Non cupholder:
The cup holder one is more like a genuine one and basically you would remove the cup holder it just pulls out and then you will see the 4 nuts which you remove then slide that in place and re fit the nuts that one looks the better one to be honest if you are wanting to get one that one would be my choice over the other one the fact it's bolted down using a metal bracket to the actual floor of the car would make it stronger fitting either isn't hard and doesn't take long in my opinion the top one looks the better one and at the price it's not bad value however just remember if your in the uk buying from america you'd have to pay the duty tax at the post office which for some stuff can make it not worth the money
Hope this helps

derkie54
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.0 110PS TSI SEL 5 Door

Post by derkie54 »

I have had my Polo since May and very pleased with it but if there's one thing i'd be happy to be without it's the armrest.
Gear changing is so much easier when it's up out of the way.
I started to take it off and planned to replace it with a cup holder.
Armrest comes off easily enough but the mounting bracket has four screws and the forward ones are buried under the centre console which by the looks of it has to come of as well.

For the moment it's back on.
2015_polo
Getting There!

Post by 2015_polo »

derkie54 wrote:I have had my Polo since May and very pleased with it but if there's one thing i'd be happy to be without it's the armrest.
I started to take it off and planned to replace it with a cup holder. Armrest comes off easily enough but the mounting bracket has four screws and the forward one are buried under the centre console which by the looks of it has to come of as well.

You can get to it by lifting the centre console it doesn't need to come out because on the 6c it is all the 1 piece with the front cup holders etc but with the screw out the back and the gear stick gator raised there's screws in there once there out it raises enough and with the right tools it's doable its easier than removing the full console

derkie54
Getting There!

Post by derkie54 »

2015_polo wrote:
derkie54 wrote:I have had my Polo since May and very pleased with it but if there's one thing i'd be happy to be without it's the armrest.
I started to take it off and planned to replace it with a cup holder. Armrest comes off easily enough but the mounting bracket has four screws and the forward one are buried under the centre console which by the looks of it has to come of as well.

You can get to it by lifting the centre console it doesn't need to come out because on the 6c it is all the 1 piece with the front cup holders etc but with the screw out the back and the gear stick gator raised there's screws in there once there out it raises enough and with the right tools it's doable its easier than removing the full console

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote

Thanks for that 2015_Polo I might have another go when the spring comes :)
2015_polo
Getting There!

Post by 2015_polo »

derkie54 wrote:
2015_polo wrote:

No problem good luck if you get it off and you are going to sell your arm rest give me a message I might take it off your hands

derkie54
Getting There!

Post by derkie54 »

2015_polo wrote:
derkie54 wrote:
2015_polo wrote:

No problem good luck if you get it off and you are going to sell your arm rest give me a message I might take it off your hands

If I do remove it and decide to sell it I'll message you first.........Happy New Year to you and everyone on the forum.
2015_polo
Getting There!

Post by 2015_polo »

derkie54 wrote:
2015_polo wrote:
derkie54 wrote: You can get to it by lifting the centre console it doesn't need to come out because on the 6c it is all the 1 piece with the front cup holders etc but with the screw out the back and the gear stick gator raised there's screws in there once there out it raises enough and with the right tools it's doable its easier than removing the full console

If I do remove it and decide to sell it I'll message you first.........Happy New Year to you and everyone on the forum.
Cheers happy new year

hjgtiger
New

Post by hjgtiger »

2015_polo wrote:

Cupholder:

Non cupholder:
The cup holder one is more like a genuine one and basically you would remove the cup holder it just pulls out and then you will see the 4 nuts which you remove then slide that in place and re fit the nuts that one looks the better one to be honest if you are wanting to get one that one would be my choice over the other one the fact it's bolted down using a metal bracket to the actual floor of the car would make it stronger fitting either isn't hard and doesn't take long in my opinion the top one looks the better one and at the price it's not bad value however just remember if your in the uk buying from america you'd have to pay the duty tax at the post office which for some stuff can make it not worth the money
Hope this helps

I agree that the cupholder one does look better and more robust. This is where I got the fitting info - but accept that the armrest is an earlier version. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yo ... mrest.html
And the link to the gti: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yo ... ation.html
2015_polo
Getting There!

Post by 2015_polo »

hjgtiger wrote:
2015_polo wrote:

Cupholder:

Non cupholder:
Hope this helps

I agree that the cupholder one does look better and more robust. This is where I got the fitting info - but accept that the armrest is an earlier version. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yo ... mrest.html
And the link to the gti: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yo ... ation.html
Yeah that's an earlier model fitting will be similar but as I said it's not difficult even if your not overly confident in doing it yourself it's not too hard just some patience and you should be sorted

hjgtiger
New

Post by hjgtiger »

@2015_polo

Thanks so much for the advice, but could I pick your brains a bit more please.
From this pic
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1OrifJFXX ... 4240c593e1
the alloy mounting bracket has to be inserted under the rear edge of the console, as mine is dsg, how is the gear lever surround loosened - assuming it needs to be to give enough movement of the rear of the console.

As I only picked up the car on 20th Dec, I am loathe to risk causing any damage/scratches/marks to my brand new 'beauty'.

I am quite capable of doing most mechanical jobs and have masses of tools - and the ability to make/modify special tools. The problem with plastic 'parts' is knowing how far they will bend before breaking or cracking.
2015_polo
Getting There!

Post by 2015_polo »

From this pic
the alloy mounting bracket has to be inserted under the rear edge of the console, as mine is dsg, how is the gear lever surround loosened - assuming it needs to be to give enough movement of the rear of the console.

As I only picked up the car on 20th Dec, I am loathe to risk causing any damage/scratches/marks to my brand new 'beauty'.

I am quite capable of doing most mechanical jobs and have masses of tools - and the ability to make/modify special tools. The problem with plastic 'parts' is knowing how far they will bend before breaking or cracking.
The surround for the gear stick lifts up it's just clicked in place so carefully pull it up and the plastics aren't too Brittle so have a decent amount of give however they won't bend much just be careful and listen for any unwanted noises if you hear a crack or anything then stop you don't need to bend it too far

hjgtiger
New

Post by hjgtiger »

2015_polo wrote:

From this pic

The surround for the gear stick lifts up it's just clicked in place so carefully pull it up and the plastics aren't too Brittle so have a decent amount of give however they won't bend much just be careful and listen for any unwanted noises if you hear a crack or anything then stop you don't need to bend it too far

Thanks for the info. This looks reasonable https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-sh ... .33.u7XcGB

as the feedback (assuming it is real) is promising and the guy answered my query asking to confirm it fitted my 2016 Gti very quickly. I'll have to pay VAT on top but still less than a factory fit - but that was not an option as I took a pre-built car which was already in UK at Sheerness.
All I need to do now is pluck up the courage to order it!
2015_polo
Getting There!

Post by 2015_polo »

hjgtiger wrote:
2015_polo wrote:

From this pic

Thanks for the info. This looks reasonable https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-sh ... .33.u7XcGB

as the feedback (assuming it is real) is promising and the guy answered my query asking to confirm it fitted my 2016 Gti very quickly. I'll have to pay VAT on top but still less than a factory fit - but that was not an option as I took a pre-built car which was already in UK at Sheerness.
All I need to do now is pluck up the courage to order it!
That's good then hopefully it is real , it costs a fortune to Order one with the car , I'm the same I bought a pre built car from my work at the start of Dec
Good luck with the purchase if you go ahead , keep me updated with how the fit went etc might encourage me to get one too