Arm rest wanted

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
2015_polo
Getting There!
Drives: 2015 6c polo

Arm rest wanted

Post by 2015_polo »

Hi folks looking to fit an armrest to my 2016 gti .... can't buy the genuine ones online (well can't find any) you can't buy them as an accessory either .... so my question is does anyone on here have one for sale or the link to a genuine one any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skymera
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 R-Line TDi

Re: Arm rest wanted

Post by skymera »

A search into Google resulted in this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-sh ... 48096.html

and this:

http://orientalparts.com/OEM-Center-Con ... 49463.aspx

My 0.02 on the arm rest is that it's not worth it. Makes the 2nd to 3rd shift tight and awkward.
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

IMO arm rests are a waste of time. Got one and it just gets in the way of the gear change and handbrake as Skymera says.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I specifically didn't spec the armrest option in my car for the reasons stated by skymera and joe6.
MczZippy
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 6C - Flash Red

Post by MczZippy »

if you have a DSG on the other hand, an armrest is lovely on long trips! but again, each to their own
2015_polo
Getting There!

Post by 2015_polo »

Thanks guys think I'm just going to leave it as on thinking about it the gear changes would be awkward

GTI_DownUnder
New
Drives: Polo GTI MY2017

Post by GTI_DownUnder »

If you do long stints on the Motorway, in sixth gear, armrests can come in handy. Agree with other posters that it does interfere with gear changes but you can just flip it out of the way when working the gearbox. If you are just using the Polo around town or on 'interesting' winding roads it would be worse than useless.

I frequently do 1 - 2 hour trips, on freeways (as they are called here in Australia) mostly in sixth and find it very comfortable.

Regards,
Steve
2015_polo
Getting There!

Post by 2015_polo »

GTI_DownUnder wrote:If you do long stints on the Motorway, in sixth gear, armrests can come in handy. Agree with other posters that it does interfere with gear changes but you can just flip it out of the way when working the gearbox. If you are just using the Polo around town or on 'interesting' winding roads it would be worse than useless.

I frequently do 1 - 2 hour trips, on freeways (as they are called here in Australia) mostly in sixth and find it very comfortable.

Regards,
Steve
Cheers Steve I do long journeys in 6th quite a lot but then also do a bit of town driving after doing some research they are quite expensive and you can't buy them as an accessory from vw as there's no retro fit kit I know I could fit one but think for the money it's not worth it

GTI_DownUnder
New
Drives: Polo GTI MY2017

Post by GTI_DownUnder »

Fair comment.

Here in Aust they come as standard on the GTI model along with cruise control :D

Regards,
Steve
2015_polo
Getting There!

Post by 2015_polo »

GTI_DownUnder wrote:Fair comment.

Here in Aust they come as standard on the GTI model along with cruise control :D

Regards,
Steve
My car was prebuilt but the armrest is an optional extra and so is cruise control wouldn't mind getting them on the car as standard but the cost of some of the extras is mental

hjgtiger
New
Drives: Dec 2016 White Gti auto

Post by hjgtiger »

skymera wrote:A search into Google resulted in this:

and this:

My 0.02 on the arm rest is that it's not worth it. Makes the 2nd to 3rd shift tight and awkward.

I am also looking to retrofit an armrest to my new Gti DSG - as I have a very weak shoulder. I have emailed a couple of european suppliers of similar to the latter link and both say it won't fit a Polo 6c as centre console was changed (slightly) during the 2014 facelift. I am thinking of one of those that fits into the rear cupholder - not ideal but (probably) better than nothing. Has anyone tried one??
2015_polo
Getting There!

Post by 2015_polo »

hjgtiger wrote:
skymera wrote:A search into Google resulted in this:

and this:

I am also looking to retrofit an armrest to my new Gti DSG - as I have a very weak shoulder. I have emailed a couple of european suppliers of similar to the latter link and both say it won't fit a Polo 6c as centre console was changed (slightly) during the 2014 facelift. I am thinking of one of those that fits into the rear cupholder - not ideal but (probably) better than nothing. Has anyone tried one??
I work in a vw dealership and we have had an up and a polo with the ones your talking about and both weren't strong at all it's held in with quite wee screws and any weight on them and they start to wobble and eventually come off on both vehicles they had to be removed as they had been secured that many times it just ruined the cup holders and new cup holders fitted .... it's up to your self if you can find a decent one but I think the cheap ones are all the same it's weather you think it's worth the chance that's why I've been trying to find a genuine one
Hope this helps

RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

One other thing about the proper armrest, if you keep it vertical (out of the way), there is a short low section that you can rest your elbow on! Also, on my wife's 2015 Polo SEL, 9 times out of 10, if I drop the armrest down while the handbrake is on (lever up), the armrest does not engage the ratchet so the only stable position is fully down as low as the handbrake will allow. With the handbrake off it works as intended - just another design/manufacture error on VW's part!
2015_polo
Getting There!

Post by 2015_polo »

RUM4MO wrote:One other thing about the proper armrest, if you keep it vertical (out of the way), there is a short low section that you can rest your elbow on! Also, on my wife's 2015 Polo SEL, 9 times out of 10, if I drop the armrest down while the handbrake is on (lever up), the armrest does not engage the ratchet so the only stable position is fully down as low as the handbrake will allow. With the handbrake off it works as intended - just another design/manufacture error on VW's part!
I've noticed that a few times it's a bit of a design flaw

hjgtiger
New
Drives: Dec 2016 White Gti auto

Post by hjgtiger »

@2015_polo

Thanks for your comments - not really surprised as the cup holder is not very substantial.

From your experience is the centre console of the 6c different to the 6n?

It would appear that the 'Ali express' (chinese) armrests are for 6n versions and come in 2 types one with a cup holder - which looks to be a major job to fit; the other version without a cup holder looks to be much simpler but I am not sure it will fit a 6c properly!