Polo AW Photo Gallery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
PoloAU
New
Drives: GTI 2019

Re: Polo AW Photo Gallery

Post by PoloAU »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:09 am If the beige/white material is the same as I’ve got on the underside of my previous generation Polo GTI, then it’s a material that’s applied to protect against stone chips in areas that might be susceptible to flying stones and road debris. The same or similar stone chip protection material is also applied to the lower sills before the car body shell goes through the painting process in the factory. You can easily see / feel this protective coating on the sills - below the black plastic sill extension strip on the GTI.

Here’s the protective layer on my car that I think you’re referring to. My car is blue, and you can see the unpainted stone chip protection clearly in the picture;
That makes sense. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain what the coating is for, and even taking a photo of yours.

Really appreciate the help! :) :D
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

PoloAU wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:27 am
SRGTD wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:09 am If the beige/white material is the same as I’ve got on the underside of my previous generation Polo GTI, then it’s a material that’s applied to protect against stone chips in areas that might be susceptible to flying stones and road debris. The same or similar stone chip protection material is also applied to the lower sills before the car body shell goes through the painting process in the factory. You can easily see / feel this protective coating on the sills - below the black plastic sill extension strip on the GTI.

Here’s the protective layer on my car that I think you’re referring to. My car is blue, and you can see the unpainted stone chip protection clearly in the picture;
That makes sense. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain what the coating is for, and even taking a photo of yours.

Really appreciate the help! :) :D
You’re very welcome.

I actually already had the photo as someone in the 6r/6c section of the forum asked a question in relation to the stone chip protective coating a while back, so it was no bother re-posting it.

Hope to hear how you’re getting on with your car over the coming months.
Rhys_13
New
Drives: Mk 6 Polo R-line

Post by Rhys_13 »

1D7DD940-D1AD-4BC4-A498-389973AD9D36.jpeg
Itfharrys
New
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats

Post by Itfharrys »

Polo beats, LED, 17”
Attachments
C0C0DF6B-42B7-4CB0-86E8-059AFC59E8D0.jpeg
B6DA6A6F-9BB6-46FF-B34D-6DE3A351EACE.jpeg
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Itfharrys wrote:Polo beats, LED, 17”
Ooo very nice only question - The 'R' on the grill? Is it an R-Line or an addition.

The stripe looks far better on red than it does on my black car. I disliked it so much I had it removed, but looks quite good on yours.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

peeceeuk wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:59 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:03 pm Silver Jogons ordered for $53 after first order Aliexpress voucher - about £41 + forex transaction my Amex will charge.
Think I might have been looking at the same ones.
Let me know how you get on with them.
They arrived, 8 days after ordering. I had a bit of a scare with them...The Aliexpress tracker is absolutely crap. Until tonight, as far as Aliexpress is concerned, their tracking still puts them in China, having not moved since the 15th, but if you download the aliexpress app, you have the choice of 2 sites to track your parcel - one of them is "17 track" - this gives you the info you need, today it showed the whole journey, informing me that as of yesterday, they were in the UK and got released by customs. Apparently delivered today at 13:50.

I get home and they've not been delivered, chances are the numpty postman has put them through next-door again (i'm sure he can't read numbers, or names - he always gets the street right). Trouble is, our neighbours are a bit weird and never answer their own door (just tonight a Dominos driver has been braying on their door for 5 mins and tooting his horn to get them to open the door and receive the pizza that they ordered!). I rang Royal Mail to open a dispute as i'd had no parcel nor a card through the door, and the neighbours weren't answering. I pounced on the neighbours when they finally opened ther door to pizza guy, and they were delivered there.

These are beautifully finished in Aluminium just like the £192 ones are, every edge is bevelled, they look incredibly precisely made. I will fit them tomorrow. Total cost including forex charge on my Amex was £43.12. Value declared on the parcel was low enough not to attract Customs charges and Royal Mail's extortionate handling fee for collecting the import tax.

S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

They look great Monkey!

Are these the exact ones you ordered - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Metal-F ... abedd472-6

Tempted to order but will wait until you've fitted them to see what you think.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:22 pm They look great Monkey!

Are these the exact ones you ordered - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Metal-F ... abedd472-6

Tempted to order but will wait until you've fitted them to see what you think.
Yep, they're the ones. Was half tempted to go for the black, but wondered about longevity of (presumed anodised) finish. I suppose the surface you'd be contacting would be the back of them as fitted, so you wouldn't see any colour wear from the front. Will let you know what the fit is like and what they're like in operation.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Yeah I can't decide between black or silver at the moment, think both would look great. Thanks mate. :)
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Nice one.
So far so good. Quickly shipped, very nice price and seemingly good quality.
Shall keep my eyes peeled for details about functionality.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

OK, fitted them to the car. The left one took about 5 seconds to remove the old one (pull pin from the bottom, with long nose pliers). The pin head on the right (+) paddle seemed to have a slightly smaller gap to grip the head and pull the pin, so was more awkward.

Comparison of the 2 paddles:-

Red arrows for pin holes, green arrows for where the rubberised buttons/microswitches contact the paddle under pivot, blue arrow is end stop (so you don'tpress buttons too hard. The stock paddle is a translucent plastic that's been coated black everywhere except where light is expected to transmit to the + or - signs on the paddle - you obviously don't get light transmission on the Aluminium paddles, hence the cut outs at extended area of the paddle top. There is a light on the area of the steering wheel that the paddle body fits on to, which is essentially redundant with the new paddles.

It's easiest to line the end stop first and push the paddle back to insert the pin through the aligned hole. First attempt I aligned to pin to hole first and couldn't feel the button press on pivot. Push the pin all the way home, it isn't hard to push in, the pin shaft is hollow, so it can spread or compress easily for a tight fit.

Here they are fitted, I made the right choice in Silver, I think:-

From the bottom, the pin hole is approximately around where the arrow end is:-

Side view of the paddle:-

The paddles are easy to press all the way up from the body to the top of the extended paddle, the bottom part of the paddle beyond the bottom of the paddle body is less easy for a press.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Thanks for the writeup Monkey. Safe to say these are a good purchase, for the price?

The Silver definitely stands out nicely. I was tempted to choose black but after seeing your pictures I think I'll go for silver.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Nicely explained and useful images too.
Cheers for that.
Silver is the choice I going to go for, when the car arrives.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Just went to order from AliExpress but they want a photo of my Drivers Licence and a photo of my Credit Card. Not happening.

Anyone know of any alternative sites selling them?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:57 pm Just went to order from AliExpress but they want a photo of my Drivers Licence and a photo of my Credit Card. Not happening.

Anyone know of any alternative sites selling them?
Weird, I never got asked for these. Is that Aliexpress asking or Jogon (the seller)? I didn't use your link, I had a different one. All Aliexpress required of me was my email address. See if you have any luck with mine, there's a translation button to go from Dutch to English.

https://m.nl.aliexpress.com/storesearch ... r-golf-gti