26%
Other ? Post for possible Others ;)
5%

Total votes: 19

Cadey
Getting There!

A new month and another new problem for the GTi

Post by Cadey »

For any of you that have seen my posts about my car being in the garage more a less once a month every month since i got the damn thing 13 months ago Febuary is no exception....

So, i just got it back, 4 days ago (3rd time it had been in in jan) and as a bit of a laught i did say to the service desk man, i cant wait to drive it home to find out what else is wrong with it....

Dear me... was i tempting fate ??

Whats this.... i drive to work the morning after and i hear and feel a strange thing.... its like a scraping, grinding sort of sound when im in gear.... it goes away when i dip the cluch... i can feel it when i change gear....

So as a test i dip the cluch and hold the revs at 2000 where i could hear the noise when i had the cluch up..... Nope.. no sound.... so i lift the cluch back up (all the time im still rolling) and i can Hear it again...

Lets add a poll...
cyhliu
Platinum Member

Post by cyhliu »

Dude, I feel for you, I know how frustrating having so many problems with your car, my GTI went in five times alone just for a boot lock problem...Hope it gets fixed and keep us posted on what caused it...do you have warranty at all? Sometimes I think it's probably worthwhile taking one out, I have!
Cadey
Getting There!

Post by Cadey »

Yep, so far i have clamed £3600 worth of parts and labor, and thats with 2 jobs that took 5 hours they would not tell me about (i got the rest off a mate that works at a listers and printed me off the job history) apparently they arnt at liberty to show you warrently work if they choose not to as they "and these are their words" might have done work on it with out asking....................

The jobs they wont tell me about are the Pedal Box recall where they fitted a faulty one which ment my brakes would stick on and stay half on at random times (nearly crashed twice) so they took it back, replaced the replaced pedal box and gave me replaced all my pads and disks as i had drived 50 miles with them half on.......
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

*votes Flywheel without reading further than the poll, because it would just be such a bizarre problem no-one would think to include it on a poll otherwise*
ttaw2
Bronze Member

Post by ttaw2 »

I've said it before, but I feel sorry for the poor advertising "guru" who came up with "if only everything in life was as reliable as a VW".... If he was telling the truth, then he must've been abandoned as a baby, move'd from school to school by uncaring social support system, jilted by every woman who he'd ever met etc etc

Sorry to hear about the car boss, gotta be said that i'm not particularly pleased with the way my GTi has been "fixed"..

Thinking of buying a mk1 golf gti so that i can have a bit of reliability...
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

well that was back in the day mate

theres good reason that the mk2 & 3 polos are so popular... hard as nails.
pettsy

Post by pettsy »

i voted other

seems to sound likwe what happened to my gt, was the release bearing colapsed iirc :oops:

Thinking of buying a mk1 golf gti so that i can have a bit of reliability...
o

why would a mk1 golf be any more reliable? i love older dubs too, but even those aren't allways as reliable as never ones!
ttaw2
Bronze Member

Post by ttaw2 »

wasn't serious on the mk 1, can't trust a 20 year old car doing 30k miles a year... I was making the point that VWs used to be reliable.. I'm not VW bashing for the sake of it, i love my polo, it just frustrates me that I don't feel i can trust it anymore..
cyhliu
Platinum Member

Post by cyhliu »

I know what you mean, I drove my first Mk3 1.0 Polo hard when I had it and nothing went wrong, even managed to make the brakes smoke yet still fine and dandy...my GTI, it's been back to the dealers more times than I care to remember...

I bet the Trading Standards Office had something to say about the slogan hence may be why VW dropped it.
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

lol it took me 25000 miles of driving like that to "damage" a mk3 (ok - cause slightly faster than usual wear!), and if i'd been better with the oil it would probably still be ok ;)
Cadey
Getting There!

Post by Cadey »

Well the result is in... Just had listers VW on the phone to me and guess what it was..........

A ) The Gear Box...

Congratulations to everyone that choose correctly, give me your Name and address' and ill post you a toffee !!!!!

P.S

The Actual problem was the "Diffarential Barrings" where shot, any one no what the hell that means as id love to no what the 998th thing to go wrong with my car actually was :D

Also Ill start a two new Mini Polls for people who read this post...

How long will it be in the garage :?: ...

A) 2 Days
B) 4 Days
C) 6 Days
D) 8 Days

How Many Days untill i get the NEXT problem.
A) 4 Days
B) 6 Days
C) 2 Weeks
D) 1 Month+ (Year Right!)
SiDaBa
Sponsor

Post by SiDaBa »

D) 8 Days (in for)
A) 4 days (goes back)

I used the laws of Sod to work that out.
ttaw2
Bronze Member

Post by ttaw2 »

Diffs - http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

Diff bearings - bearings on the input or output from the diff i guess?

This is slightly worrying, as mine has started making funny noises again, and i can't be doing with buying a new diff for the mota..

Mini Poll...

Garaged
a) 2 days (shock :shock: )

Next problem
d) 2.5 months (this will lull you into thinking that everything might be okay afterall)

garaged (next visit)
3 weeks to repair damage from multiple catastophic unspecified technical component failure.

P.S. The R32 syline i could get with the money from selling my Polo is looking mighty tempting.... :twisted:
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

Im not suprised its the gearbox, newer small block VW boxes are notoriously bad for problems. (the diff being the major one) I would have to say that the most reliable polo out of them all would probably be an early mk2 or mk1, they require more servicing, but are entirely mechanical in operation (carbs, points ignition, etc) But further down the line the 1272cc 55bhp engines (with single point injection or carbs) coupled with the 5-speed gearbox is good for a very high mileage without reliability problems (very low revving you see). If anything major were to happen like that on a mk3 with the mileage your mk5 must be on (cant be high can it?) I would be very very suprised indeed.
Cadey
Getting There!

Post by Cadey »

Nope, its 31K miles :S

Had it from 17K miles