Replacing a fuel tank. ADVICE PLEASE

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
polonuts
Bronze Member

Replacing a fuel tank. ADVICE PLEASE

Post by polonuts »

OK
I have finally managed to get a tank for the car. (£25 from my local scrappy and have re-painted it). :)

I have read the Haynes manual, and think I should be OK, but would be very grateful if those of you who have replaced their tank before, could give me any hints,n, tips that are not in the Haynes.

Thanks in advance for the advice :roll:
pete69zx
Silver Member

Post by pete69zx »

I didn't read the Haynes for this particular job, so...

Just take your time & if possible get a m8 to lend you a hand (will make life much easier).

Jack the rear of the car up & support with axle stand, making sure you chock the front wheels first.

Start by unhanging the exhaust (2x backbox rubbers & 1x centre section rubber) & let it lay down on the ground.

Just look under the rear seat (bottom section), you will see a black plate on the drivers side. Open this using a screwdriver (2 studs). Remove each fuel line you see. 3 in total (2 for the pump, 1 for either a return or a breather).
Then moving back to underneath the car you will see a belly brace. To access the stud for this (17mm IIRC) you need to pull back a little of the exhaust heatshield to allow access.
(i would also reccomend that you manage to remove the handbrake cable rear section before attempting to unbolt the belly brace). This can be a bit of a chore :!: What i did was, from the handbrake mechanism remove the cover to allow access to the cable as its connected to the handbrake mechanism (inside of the car im talking about now). Slacken the (8mm IIRC) nut on the cable, to get a decent amount of play (this will help when you go back underneath the car to remove the cable from the compensator. The compensator is situated @ the passenger side, where the two cables connect together). Its easier said than done, aslong as you have created enough slack from the handbrake mechanism firstly :!:

So now you could be possibly left with a (13mm IIRC) stud holding the fuel tank in place (situated driverside @ the rear of the fuel tank). The stud holds in place a small piece of angled plate that also helps secure the fuel tank in place.

Now working around the fuel filler neck area...

Remove the circular piece of metal from around the rubber housing for the filler neck. Just get a screwdriver & start it on its way, its very easy to remove, but not always obvious to see, lol.
Now comes to slightly more trickier bit (so i found atleast)...
Remove the fuel cap & keep it safe somewhere. Now start to prise the rubber from the fuel filler neck outwards, out of the hole in the bodywork (filler flap). This will mosy probably be very tight & not seem like it wants to budge... perciverence is the key word here (oh & a fair bit of brute force & ignorance helps too :lol:)
Once the rubber is out of the filler flap section of the body work you will see 2 pipes comming off of the filler neck section of the fuel tank. You will need to remove these with a flatblade screwdriver (if they are the genuine VW parts still). The smaller one faceing the back of the car is the easiest to gain acess to, but the other larger one a little lower to the ground is the b***h & goes through the bodywork). Once they are removed, you will then be left with 2 pipes going through the rubber filler neck seal.
Try to remove the component that the 2 pipes join upto from the rubber (this will make life easier allround). Once removed from the rubber housing, remove the bottom pipe. This will then allow you to remove the rubber completely (& be able to clean all the crap off of it aswell while you are there :wink:)

Ok... you should now be left with nothing attached to either the filler neck or anywhere else of the fuel tank :P)

Now its just a matter of sliding the tank backwards towards the rear of the car (as its located on a lip of the underbody of the car, towards the front).

It's now a matter of getting your m8 one side underneath the car holding the tank & then you the other side. Try to get the passengerside to drop first. Then once it's dropped, you need to wiggle & jiggle & pray to get the filler neck through the tiny space at the bottom of the driverside rear sill. (This can be the bit that makes you get pissed off :evil:)

Okay, now its removed, the refitment is reversal of removal :wink:

Just remember not to get the pipes for the fuel pump trapped when you refit the new tank (situated underneath the rearseat squab).

Oh, i forgot to say.... to remove the fuel pump from the old tank, just use a flatblade screwdriver & give it a few decent shocks with a hammer to get the fuel pump to release :P

I got a set of new rubbers for situating the fuel tank underneath the car (as if you don't it will probably start to wear against the underbody of the car. Then you will get a hole in both the underbody of the car & also the top of the fuel tank :oops: :evil:). I also got a new fuel pump rubber seal ring aswell.

GOOD LUCK 8)
polonuts
Bronze Member

Post by polonuts »

WOW :shock:

Thanks for the advice, should be OK now :roll:
pete69zx
Silver Member

Post by pete69zx »

polonuts wrote:WOW :shock:

Thanks for the advice, should be OK now :roll:
Your welcome :wink:
polonuts
Bronze Member

Post by polonuts »

YES FINALLY FITTED THE NEW TANK :lol:

Great advice mate you should definitely post what you told me above on the DIY section. Far easier instructions than the Haynes manual 8)
pete69zx
Silver Member

Post by pete69zx »

If there are any moderators reading this, then... ;-)
polonuts
Bronze Member

Post by polonuts »

yes definitely, cmon moderators, post the guide in the DIY section, trust me, I see technical reports and instructions every day of my working life and this is clear, concise and accurate. 8)