9N - Cubby Box Mod

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
mole
Admin

9N - Cubby Box Mod

Post by mole »

Polo 9N 2002
Cubby Box

Download the PDF file for offline reference and printing.

Also, get the reader if you don't have it already:

Babe RuthLess
Gold Member

Post by Babe RuthLess »

Cool mod. Thanks for the walk-through, mole!

BTW have you driven the car a lot after you changed the cubby box? Notice any rattles?

Also, am I right to assume that it's a cup-holder you have there lying on top of the instrument binnacle? If it is, could you maybe walk us through the removal of the centre console piece - I'm going to install the cup-holder myself but am very afraid of breaking something!

Cheers,
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

I've not actually driven it with it yet, but when I do I'll let you know!

That is indeed a cup holder, well spotted!
It's pretty easy to install actually. The one I have there is for LHD cars... It was a test to see if it would fit as a 2nd cup holder! It doesnt!

Grab the peice of plastic that surrounds the heater controls with your nails at the edge.

Pull it HARD and it will come off.

Now, theres a little cut out under the blank, get a screwdriver in there and lever the blank out, should only need a little lever and you can pull it out easily.

Now just push the new cup holder in! Simple as that!! 5 minutes max!

BUT, just check before you order one.... that you have this little hole in the grey plastic behind the blanking plate.... you WILL need it and it half the reason the LHD one wont fit in my car!

Hope this helps.
Babe RuthLess
Gold Member

Post by Babe RuthLess »

Thanks for that mole!

I did check and sure enough there's the little hole... but only behind the right-hand side blank!

Pretty easy. And to think that a dealer told me it would cost 1 1/2 hours labour...
ciden
Bronze Member

Post by ciden »

Mole....can I bother you and ask for the part no. and what I can expect to pay?
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Babe, 1 1/2 hours labour... That's terrible!!
You'll have a PM in a moment btw...

Ciden.... The part number is 6Q0857465A1QA. Martyn charges £19.06+vat, so maybe a bit more than that from a dealer!
Babe RuthLess
Gold Member

Post by Babe RuthLess »

Yes, they told me the whole centre console would have to be removed, bla, bla, bla.

That's from the one dealer that told me it'd be possible, all the others said it couldn't be done (even after I argued that the dash part numbers were the same for all models etc.).

One of them actually told me to get a Polo Comfortline!

Hehehehe :D

BTW mole got your PM, thanks!
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Babe RuthLess wrote:
BTW have you driven the car a lot after you changed the cubby box? Notice any rattles?

Cheers,
I've had mine for about three weeks and there hasn't been as much as a creak from it (and I'm lowered 40 mil with lower profile tyres) :)

Wish I could say the same for the rest of the dash!
Babe RuthLess
Gold Member

Post by Babe RuthLess »

Just fitted a cup holder to my Polo. Perfect fit, very easily done, no rattles at all!

THanks mole for the instructions!
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

Mole - how many arms have you got?

how the f*** did you take that picture while using both hands to remove your dash!
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

:lol: 3 :P

I had a friend with me that day, and he took the pics in the 13 seconds it took me to do the mod!
leonsmith
Bronze Member

Another one done!

Post by leonsmith »

Changed my cubby box last night. An essential upgrade! much more useful than the standard tray. Why aren't these fitted as standard?

You do have to pull blinking hard on the old one to get it out mind you. I slid a credit card down the back of it to lever it up a little so that I could get some fingernails underneath it......and.......bang! :shock: pops out a little scarily but no damage done.

The new cubby box just slips in a clips into place mind, no problems at all.
sbp
Bronze Member

Post by sbp »

mole wrote: Ciden.... The part number is 6Q0857465A1QA. Martyn charges £19.06+vat
is that for the cubby box or the xtra cupholder? I want the part number for the cubby box, that's why..
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

sbp wrote:
mole wrote: Ciden.... The part number is 6Q0857465A1QA. Martyn charges £19.06+vat
is that for the cubby box or the xtra cupholder? I want the part number for the cubby box, that's why..
That number is indeed for the top cubby box :)
n3oNx
Bronze Member

Post by n3oNx »

Nelson_Wilbury wrote:
Babe RuthLess wrote:

Cheers,
I've had mine for about three weeks and there hasn't been as much as a creak from it (and I'm lowered 40 mil with lower profile tyres) :)

Wish I could say the same for the rest of the dash!
I'm from Portugal and I bought two months ago a VW Polo from July 2002 and I think my car has spent most the time i have it in the VW garage... My dashboard makes a noise that nore I or them can't figure out where it comes from! :S