Polo 1.4TDi Sport

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
aeg
New

Polo 1.4TDi Sport

Post by aeg »

Hi,

I've not posted on here before (but have popped in a couple of times) - I usually stick with uk-mkivs.net as I have a Bora and a Mk5 Golf.

My Golf is a company car, and since I got that, I have been intending to sell the Bora. I have now decided (I think) to try to trade it in for a Polo for my partner to use (she currently drives a Isuzu Trooper, and at 23mpg, is not good for everyday use!).

I have found a couple of Polo 1.4TDi Sport models fairly local to me, and am intending to go and look at them tomorrow.

Any advice on what to look out for, possible problems, good/bad points etc.?

Also, any general comments regarding this model (I know it is not the fastest in the world, and the 1.9 would be better, but I am looking for economy really - I have a Mk5 Golf 2.0 GT TDI for a bit of performance!)

Thanks!

Al
mfa-polo
Silver Member

Post by mfa-polo »

Hi

Thought people might have been able to give you some input, by now??

I have owned a polo 1.4tdi s, not quite the sport! had no problems with it, apart from some seem to use a lot of oil.

I currently drive the 1.9tdi sport, which has been great, the handling could be better.

I have been more than happy with both my 9n's, cant offer too much advice about what to look for though.
aeg
New

Post by aeg »

Thanks for your reply. We test drove a 52-plate 1.4 TDI Sport a couple of weeks ago - really liked the car, drive, engine etc. but this particular example had been absolutely trashed by its previous owner - was in terrible condition for the age and the mileage!

Drove a 1.9TDI sport last weekend - although only for 5 minutes round an industrial park - not really ideal - I think the sales staff were not really interested, and didn't think we were going to buy it. Certainly not now! The car itself was immaculate, 02 plate. I personally thought the 1.4 TDI engine suited the Polo better than the 1.9 though. Also, the engine in this one sounded a bit noisy, and sounded like it was a bit 'tappet-y' sounding, but this was probably because it didn't get warmed up, and had been stood for a week or so, judging by the rust on the discs!

Thanks again for your comments, any more would be welcomed!!
Scorpio1
Gold Member

Post by Scorpio1 »

I would have said for the small difference in economy go for the 1.9. I think it’s quite a bit nippier and the MPG doesn’t suffer that much nor do the general running costs. If you got the 1.4, you would probably want the 1.9 a little while down the line. Obviously more tuning potential too if that’s your thing.

When I drove the 1.4 it was just lacking, for me personally. Look out for the other usual traits… Knocking suspension, rattling dash, creaking door seals and any other odd noises.
jtstatic
New

Post by jtstatic »

If you drive a lot in town 1.4 tdi is ideal but if you do a lot of motorway driving then you have to use higher rpm due to shorter gearing and it will consume more than 1.9 (with speeds over 50mph).. the insurance cost is also lower (at least here in finland) so that alone made the decision for me. Also you can get 100+ bhp with chip from the 1.4 making it perfectly capable (of course you get more with 1.9 if you chip it)..