MK2 1.3 engine into MK3

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
monkey2004
New

MK2 1.3 engine into MK3

Post by monkey2004 »

my mk3 has a single point injection 1.0 engine and i got a mk2 non injection 1.3 engine i want to put in it. is it just a stright swap or is there any hindin suprise i need to now about???
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

youll need to replace the ECU and fuel injector on your 1.0 for 1.3 items, everything else is the same on 1.0/1.3 spi's. The mk2 engine has a mechanical fuel pump but it should be ok if you leave it disconnected. (its on the cylinder head near the distributor)
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

funny, i thought there was a job lot of differences - isnt that why putting an injection into a mk2 is a mare?

or am i getting the spi vs mpi mixed up again :roll:

EDIT: are the injectors on 1.0 / 1.3 spi the same? im pretty sure the fuel pump, pressure etc are... you could try mating the injection setup to the 1.3 block and changing the chip so it doesnt run lean... (or is this a really, really bad idea?)
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

Injection on a late Mk2 isn't a nightmare! Should be pretty easy.

Anyway, I think the guy's asking if he can replace his injection 1.0 with a 1.3 carb'd lump, but retain the injection system? In which case, Gareth's right - the 1.3 and 1.0 SPI units are different, and I'll guess (without being arsed to look at ETKA) that the ECUs are different too.

However, if you're retaining all the 1.0 injection stuff it should work fine, but you'd probably get better driveability from switching to a 1.3 ECU, SPI unit - and possibly dizzy if it's different.
lord_sharpy
Bronze Member

Post by lord_sharpy »

sorry to go a bit off topic here but did anyone see that mk2 with 4 srad carbs on it on fleabay?
looked awesome!
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

durn...... ok..... well, it was a thought

bet you'd get quite cracking economy out of a 1.3 CL (+5sp) and a 1.0 injector, if the lambda was in place and working right... it'd be able to correct the mixture to a point at least, too... hm
wouldn't be going nowhere quick of course :roll:

sharpy: no, hit us up with the link man!
lord_sharpy
Bronze Member

Post by lord_sharpy »

GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Lose the barry exhaust, put the number plate back in the right place and get rid of those vents and that'd be a pretty cool polo. Love the retro stripes :D That carb setup must be a right nightmare to tune though..
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

Hell, i'd settle just for putting a proper plate back in place, looks damn sweet to me.

Maybe different wheels and a better airscooping system though - a justified bonnet bulge? :)
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

I saw that car at inters today in the carpark.. actually looks pretty damn good in the flesh, much better than those photos. Shame the bonnet wasn't open..
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

yeah I saw that car at inters too. Saw your car in the car park as well GC. you were parked a row behind my (extremely dirty) GT. I must say your mk2 looks VERY tidy. Obviously been very well cared for. Puts my mk2 to shame.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Thanks.. does this mean you didn't notice the badly resprayed wing complete with paint runs, the rust popping up on the bonnet, the worn out, cheap, badly fitted seat covers and the fact that it hasn't been polished for months? :lol: I don't know how I didn't see your car though.. I guess I was a bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of VWs there, I've never seen so many cars in one place in my life...
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

I saw the seat covers! :D And whats with the purple on the inside of the doors? I didnt notice the wing, i just looked at the roof and tailgate. It looked very clean to me. You could easily have missed my GT as it was cunningly disguised as a bail of hay. :P
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Ah yes.. the doors are a result of a moment of madness when I first bought it. I thought I'd be different, and I thought that metallic purple would be a good colour to be different in... I think the doors are due a respray pretty soon :oops:
hayesey
Silver Member

Post by hayesey »

I saw your car in the car park at inters too. Well, Gareth pointed it out to me!

It looked very clean to me.

Also saw the bike-carbbed mk2 breadvan too. Then later on saw it driving off & it sounded great!