Xenon Headlights?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
tom-polo53
Bronze Member

Xenon Headlights?

Post by tom-polo53 »

I had a search on the site, couldnt find anything really...

Is it possible to upgrade the standard Polo 9n lights, to xenon ones?

The full works, not blue bulbs. I dont really want to ask my vw dealer, they say they dont make a bike rack for my car!! Front fogs cant be fitted!!...etc

Would I have much change from £400 do you reckon??

cheers!!
stuart_hatch
Bronze Member

Post by stuart_hatch »

its possible by two ways

A- get some 9n HID lights with all the gobbins attached and fit them

or

B- these: http://www.hids4u.co.uk
SiDaBa
Sponsor

Post by SiDaBa »

There are a few posts in this section about it. Go to the search criteria type "xenon" for the PoloVI section.

any how, you can go to the lengths that Joy went to

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... e4073aa1a5

In the UK, xenons have to be self leveling and have some sort of cleaning system (headlight washers).

However illeagally, it's easy to do. Just buy a kit. :wink:
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Did any 9n come with Xenons??

I cant find any pics that show xenons as standard or optional extra.
carmadaaron
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by carmadaaron »

no 9n's came with xenons as standard. dont think they were dealer/factory options either. there are a few members who have angeleyes/xenon kits tho
stuart_hatch
Bronze Member

Post by stuart_hatch »

SiDaBa wrote:There are a few posts in this section about it. Go to the search criteria type "xenon" for the PoloVI section.

In the UK, xenons have to be self leveling and have some sort of cleaning system (headlight washers).

This only applys to newly bulit cars, not after market systems
SiDaBa
Sponsor

Post by SiDaBa »

stuart_hatch wrote:
SiDaBa wrote:There are a few posts in this section about it. Go to the search criteria type "xenon" for the PoloVI section.

This only applys to newly bulit cars, not after market systems
Still have to have a cleaning system :P
vwclub.gr
Bronze Member

Post by vwclub.gr »

Guyz it is not necessary to install projectors in order to have xenon lights. You may install an h7 hid kit in the OEM headlights. I have order a kit from ebay and witing for them. As soon as I have thme on I will post some pics
SiDaBa
Sponsor

Post by SiDaBa »

Don't projectors improve the spread of light from xenons though? Makes them not spread light so widely?

Any how projectors wasn't really the point i was making. It was the self levelling and having some sort of cleaning system is what is required in the uk.
Scorpio1
Gold Member

Post by Scorpio1 »

As far as I understand it it’s ONLY a legal requirement to have auto levellers and washers when HID’s are being installed at the factory. As long as your aftermarket kit is ‘E’ marked there shouldn’t be a problem.

I will have to find the link that confirms this. I can’t find it, but I did hear and read this also. Auto levellers are a big waste of time anyway as they only adjust when you first start the car not throughout the journey and washers are there for people who never clean their car! But some have them if you have the winter pack.

I installed A HID kit and Wai has them on his car also. The projector gives a clean cut off of light, but if you’re installing them into the standard unit that’s still okay too.

You’ll need the bumper off though for installing the ballasts and removing the lights etc
vwclub.gr
Bronze Member

Post by vwclub.gr »

SiDaBa wrote:Don't projectors improve the spread of light from xenons though? Makes them not spread light so widely?

Any how projectors wasn't really the point i was making. It was the self levelling and having some sort of cleaning system is what is required in the uk.
Same hid kit, same Kelvin. 1st pic is in reflector housing, 2nd in projectors. Which ones are better lighting?

Here in Greece Xenons are not illegal with no auto levellers or washing mechanism.

Joy
Bronze Member

Post by Joy »

vwclub.gr wrote:
SiDaBa wrote:Don't projectors improve the spread of light from xenons though? Makes them not spread light so widely?

Same hid kit, same Kelvin. 1st pic is in reflector housing, 2nd in projectors. Which ones are better lighting?

Here in Greece Xenons are not illegal with no auto levellers or washing mechanism.

You have to remind that a halogen bulb needs a well designed headlight to maximize the limited amount which a halogen can get on the road. A halogen bulb has an output of 700-1000 Lumen. But a xenon-bulb does 2700-3200 Lumen.

When fitting the xenon into the housing of a stock halogen you will get an amazing big spot of light on the road. But you will also blind other roadusers as hell. I drove my former 6N2 like that. People started signaling with there headlights and even slowed down to let me pass whereupon they switched on every light they had and pursued me like that for several miles.

So I don't recommend using the standard headlight.

The projector does a great job limiting the spread of the light. The projector gives a full homogen spot op light over more than 3 lanes.
bsodmike
Getting There!

Post by bsodmike »

Where can one get the projector for Polo 9ns? I'm about to order the same kelvin kit :)

Also dumb question - these H7 bulbs install into the middle (tiny) lights right (head lights) ???

i.e. not the bigger lights == half beam ?
PhilGTi
Platinum Member

Post by PhilGTi »

I want some HID Xenon look side lights... My sidelights look poo compaired to the xenon main beam!!

Phill.
bsodmike
Getting There!

Post by bsodmike »

Well, considering that I won't be using the main beam most of the time the Xenons will come in handy to blind people and use in thick fog (with the fog lights).

I tend to drive 98% of the time on half beam (probably what you call 'side lights') fully tilted up...