Do you know what annoys me?...

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
migui_blu
Getting There!
Drives: 6N2

Do you know what annoys me?...

Post by migui_blu »

... I hate it when your the first person to place a bid, nice and low 99p and with 5 days to go, some moron outbids you. Why can't they just watch the item and when it comes to it (one minute before the end) you place your maximum bid, like any other intelligent human being.

Whats the point in outbidding someone when theres 5 or 9 days to go, and unecessarily bumping up the price when it needn't?

Does any one else feel the same way or am I in a world of my own?

Sorry for the rant, just 4 items i'm bidding on with ages before the sell by date is due "outbid notice" - FRUSTRATION.

(Blood no longer boiling) Cheers,

*Edited to remove swearing.
jezmk4
Silver Member

Post by jezmk4 »

why dont you wait till the end to make your bid?

s
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

People who bump the price up have no idea of how to work eBay
PhilGTi
Platinum Member

Post by PhilGTi »

Why dont you just not bid at the beginning either and instead only bid at the end?

My car went up £600 in the last 35 seconds :lol:

Phill.
stuart_hatch
Bronze Member

Post by stuart_hatch »

you will find these people are normally people the seller knows who he asks to bump up the price for him
PhilGTi
Platinum Member

Post by PhilGTi »

Agreed!
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

stuart_hatch wrote:you will find these people are normally people the seller knows who he asks to bump up the price for him
Or find out what the maximum bid was for him......

Anyway I very often put a bid in just to stake my claim so to speak and then it goes into my bidding list instead of my watch list - I don't bid again till it gets to the last hour

or I'll put what I'm prepared to pay for it and no longer watch the item - if I win it I win it - if I don't I don't.....

I don't get involved in bidding battles - only the seller wins then and at the end of the day you can be wining the item till the last 15 secs and loose it so no benefit in being the highest bidder for 8 day and then not winning it!!!
13twelve
Gold Member

Post by 13twelve »

ebay wasnt always about big squatting like that
laura_fairy_22
Silver Member

Post by laura_fairy_22 »

i've only just made my first eBay purchase!! i never won anything on there before!!!
but i know the feeling sum1 bids in the first day of the item going online..
whats THAT all about!
polopowah
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Hertfordshire Drives: Ford Puma 1.7 Enjoys: Mowing grass

Post by polopowah »

A friend of mine has a program that automatically bids on any item you want, all you have to do is input the item number, when you want it to bid (think minumum is 30 seconds before end of auction) and your maximum price you are willing to pay.
Anyone else heard of this program? i shall find out later when he finishes work
-Ben-
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

polopowah wrote:A friend of mine has a program that automatically bids on any item you want, all you have to do is input the item number, when you want it to bid (think minumum is 30 seconds before end of auction) and your maximum price you are willing to pay.
-Ben-
yes, i know some 1 who uses it is on this forum!
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

uh..........

(in response to the original question)

isnt that just the way that auctions work anyhow?
you've put a starting bid on it
no-one else can see what you've bid, or put as your maximum
they think they'd quite like it, but put in a lower maximum bid
ebay then fights the bids against each other until yours "eventually" (in about eight millionths of a second of server processing time) wins again, but at the higher price
you get the thing you wanted at a price equal too or hopefully much lower than your maximum
the other guy goes away slightly disappointed that he didnt win, but knowing that he's lost something more valuable (desirability rather than materially speaking) than he can afford to someone with more spare cash or greater interest than he has.

QED, an auction.

unless i missed something?

the other way you describe is known as "sniping" and is generally frowned upon, and if there was actually a workable (never mind legit) way of banning it, i'm sure ebay would love to.

what was it and how much was the price bumped up again?

PS They probably outbid you - outbid, mind, not bumped the price up, they don't know that you're coming back to increase your maximum now do they? - that early on because like myself they may have a quite busy, or at least, chaotic lifestyle and be quite self aware, realising that if they don't bid on that thing they badly want / need straight after seeing the listing, they may not remember about it tomorrow, or even revisit ebay at all until a couple weeks after that item has actually expired. So, best to bid early and *try* to keep tabs on it at least.....
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

polopowah wrote:A friend of mine has a program that automatically bids on any item you want, all you have to do is input the item number, when you want it to bid (think minumum is 30 seconds before end of auction) and your maximum price you are willing to pay.
-Ben-
Hammersnipe or Auction Grabber - both sniping programmes that work well
Robo-Toda
New

Post by Robo-Toda »

bstardchild wrote:
-Ben-
Hammersnipe or Auction Grabber - both sniping programmes that work well
I also find Bidnapper works well too.
mikegti
Silver Member

Post by mikegti »

what's the advantage in one of those programs? If you're going to set a maximum bid anyway, does it matter when you place it?

I hate the people who try to outbid you but by the least amount possible, like if I've put in a bid of 150 and its only at, say, £75 they just keep adding on five/ten quid until they've beaten you. annoying