Red cars

Detailing & Bodywork
jakethesnake
Silver Member

Red cars

Post by jakethesnake »

Anyone here got a red car ?. If so what do you use on it to keep the colour nice ?. They fade so quickly if you don't constantly polish them.

I ran the clay bar over the roof this afternoon which removed months worth of bonded crap and it felt real smooth afterwards. I then added two coats of Autoglym Super Resin Polish which brought the colour back quite good and left a nice shine.

How can I keep it nice ?, or do I just have to give it a coat of resin polish every couple of weeks.

Are polish/waxes etc good at protecting from UV because obviously the sun 'bleaches' red so quickly ?.
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

I have no clue about what to do with red paint. My Alfa Romeo (a while back) had red non-metallic paint too, and it faded like it wanted to be white the next day.

Nothing really worked.

The only thing that seems to be helping is adding a few layers of clear coat, similar to the OE red found on newer VW's. That lasts much better than the old stuff we have/had.

:(
jakethesnake
Silver Member

Post by jakethesnake »

Thanks Alex.

I think I will just have to make the effort to wax it more often.
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

What *may* work is a Protech treatment, but it's a big 'may' -

Protech first cleans the paint, then coats it with a Teflon based layer of clear stuff. It's pretty expensive, and I don't know if it'll protect the paint from fading.

Also, I don't know if it's available in the UK, although there will probably be something similar.

Click here for their brochure (in English)

Brochure (PDF File)

And/or see their site: www.protech.nl

A complete treatment of a small car costs around 500€ a while back.
harry
Silver Member

Post by harry »

i have the flash red all i do is rinse it down 1st then wash it with car plan car shampoo then rinse it off with cold water and shammy it dry then it's done leaving it nice and shiny if it fades then i'll get it sprayed up again. I find the car plan shampoo leaves a nice shine haven't tried any other products to wash it with so don't know what results you would have with the other stuff. :D
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Does the Flash Red have a clear coat on it?

I know that VW has a color, called 'Signal Red' here, that is basically red (non-metallic) with a clear coat to keep it shiny. That actually holds up pretty good, as far as reds go.
Last edited by Speedlaw on Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jakethesnake
Silver Member

Post by jakethesnake »

I don't think it has a clear coat although I'm not 100% sure on that.
hayesey
Silver Member

red

Post by hayesey »

I clean mine with Auto-glym car shampoo every 2 weekends (if not more often) & then polish it every couple of months.

I've been using Rain-Dance wax to polish it which really restores the colour. u can see the difference in a panel u have done & one next to it that hasent been done. I should imagine that most decent waxes would do pretty much the same. Its an R-reg in Flash red & the colour seems to be staying fine. the worst red for fading is the older Tornado Red which VW stopped using once they realised it ages so badly.

Also inbetween giving a proper wax every now & then I give it a quick polish with Turtlewax Minute-Wax which is really easy to do (good for at shows).
harry
Silver Member

Post by harry »

the honda accord type r i have is milano red and that doesn't shine like the flash red, as for the clear coat i'm not sure but it is shiny and this guy at work asked me for the colour code as he wants to respray his honda prelude in the same colour as he thinks it got a really nice shine compared to some red colour cars. I was told not to polish new cars until they needed polishing as the colour tends to stay fresh for a few years and then later on polish them if they need it. 8)
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

the reason why you shouldnt polish a brand new car is that for about 2 months after painting the new paint needs to breath as it still contains solvents which are volitile enough to damage the luster of the paint but not volitile enough to traverse a layer of wax
harry
Silver Member

Post by harry »

which is the best wax to use ? it has to be easy to apply and easy to take off don't want to spend all day polishing.... :D
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Harry,

Your question can actually turn into a multiple page topic. There are just so many different waxes out there, and everyone has their own favorite. For me, I'd say Autoglym or Liquid Glass, but ask Josh, and he'll probably say Zymöl.

Since there isn't a topic concerning your exact question, feel free to open one to get some more opinions, if you prefer.

8)
harry
Silver Member

Post by harry »

ok it's open new topic car wax and tyre shine and why... :D
jakethesnake
Silver Member

Post by jakethesnake »

@Hayesey I was having a look at your car at the Polo Show and the paint had a nice colour and shine. I spent quite a while on mine for the show and it look good in my mind.
I will have to just wax it more often from now on !.
delipolo16v
New

Post by delipolo16v »

My polo is flash red and i just bought a vw touch pen and it came with clear coat so that means flash red does have clear coat on it.
Btw i use autoglym everything give it a wash,polish really brings up the color if it's good enough for royalty it's good enough for me!!