Uneven Tyre Wear....?

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
DScape
Bronze Member

Uneven Tyre Wear....?

Post by DScape »

'ola all !

Right, as this is my first car my knowledge is a bit....limited, so bear with me!

I took off my front wheel, drivers side, today to paint my caliper...only to find that the inside tread is pretty much bold :? I don't think the other wheel is though....rears are fine.

Now is this bad camber, or could it be anything to do with tracking? My car does pull slightly to the left, but was told not to worry about it....

There's also something else. When stationary and I put my steering lock on (wheel turned right), the left wheel is straight, but the right wheel is turned out slightly....wheel tracking, alignment?? I told my mate to sort this out when the coilovers went on, but obv. he didn't...arse..

Anyhow, any help is much appreciated! It's going in soon, but I'd rather have an idea of what might be wrong beforehand as it won't be a garage I've been before....I think it's the tracking.

The car is on 15" alloys with 145/45 tyres, on coilovers dropped about 60mm. Cheers all 8)
Mac
Bronze Member

Post by Mac »

You should always get your suspension geometry checked a few weeks after dropping your car or fitting new rims...

Get down to your local MOT station sharpish! :)
DScape
Bronze Member

Post by DScape »

Mac wrote:You should always get your suspension geometry checked a few weeks after dropping your car or fitting new rims...

Get down to your local MOT station sharpish! :)
Im going in the morning! I didn't realise this, and my mate who fitted them has blatently decided not to tell me !

My trackings well out I think..god damnit
DScape
Bronze Member

Post by DScape »

Ignore this thread please all :lol:

Got my tracking sorted this morning, and new tyre will be ordered shortly..... 8)
robin
Getting There!

Post by robin »

u need the camber set along with the tracking

when you mess with the front suspension on the mk4/mk5 you need to have the camber reset or else your tyres wear out on the insides

having just the tracking done is not enough
DScape
Bronze Member

Post by DScape »

robin wrote:u need the camber set along with the tracking

when you mess with the front suspension on the mk4/mk5 you need to have the camber reset or else your tyres wear out on the insides

having just the tracking done is not enough
Ohh don tell me that, you'll only upset me :lol:

Cheers mate, I will check with who fitted them and see if he did it or not.....if he aint, I won't be a happy chappy!

If it was incorrect camber, would it wear both side tyres though and not just the one?

How much am I look at a camber reset ?

Much appreciated dude, thanks !
wils0n86
Bronze Member

Post by wils0n86 »

when i had mine lowered, the place that fitted my wheels & suspension didnt adjust the camber, and it caused both front tyres to go bald on the inside.

it cost me £100 at VW to have my camber reset and adjusting, as no-where else wanted to touch it.
DScape
Bronze Member

Post by DScape »

wils0n86 wrote:when i had mine lowered, the place that fitted my wheels & suspension didnt adjust the camber, and it caused both front tyres to go bald on the inside.

it cost me £100 at VW to have my camber reset and adjusting, as no-where else wanted to touch it.
When emmerdales finshed (I know thats incredibly sad) Im gonna jack it up and check the other side....

I've text me mate (who stuck them on, and works for VW) and he said he'll sort the camber out if its really bad...it could of just been the tracking.
DScape
Bronze Member

Post by DScape »

Checked the other side and its not as bad as the other, but definately worn more on the inside then the out. :?
OMEGASUPR3ME
Silver Member

Post by OMEGASUPR3ME »

looked at my tyres yesturday, inside of both front wheels were bald :cry: took it to garage 2day, got balancing sorted and next tyres, now the steering wheel doesnt vibrate at 60 anymore :D
DScape
Bronze Member

Post by DScape »

OMEGASUPR3ME wrote:looked at my tyres yesturday, inside of both front wheels were bald :cry: took it to garage 2day, got balancing sorted and next tyres, now the steering wheel doesnt vibrate at 60 anymore :D
Have you had your tyres long dude, or done many miles? Was the cause of that then the wheels being unbalanced?!

Im hoping mine was just the tracking..... :?
robin
Getting There!

Post by robin »

camber set up should be around £40-60

i have mine done at demon tweeks which includes tracking for £50

they do a wicked job
DScape
Bronze Member

Post by DScape »

robin wrote:camber set up should be around £40-60

i have mine done at demon tweeks which includes tracking for £50

they do a wicked job
Cool, dont sound to bad to me...better then spending £45 a corner for tyres every couple of months :shock:

Im going in the morning to the local to see if they do, and at what price as my mate from VW seems to be an arse to get hold of

Cheers mate!